Do you want to discuss boring politics? (23 Viewers)

hamertime

You failed to mention in your analysis that 90% of those arriving made asylum applications which they were legally entitled to do.
Which means they are not illegal immigrants, but in fact legal ones.
Do the maths on it dipshit, the figures probably won’t fit on your calculator. And people wonder why there is no money to
Spend on anything else but in their Infinate wisdom they think we should just let more and more people in to country to be paid for by the working public. You think you don’t recognise the country now? Wait 10 years and you will wish you’d done something about it.

skybluetony176

There was another choice Labour failed miserably with. This was to put controls on the economy when they were actually running the country.

They failed to do this.

And no plan 'B' when it all went to the wall.
Firstly I’m not going to say that they couldn’t have done more to protect the country from the effects of a world banking crisis caused by the toxic mortgage industry in America because they certainly could have. For instance under Blair they relaxed controls on bankers which made the UK banking more exposed than it would have been otherwise.

Secondly austerity was implemented by the Tory/Lib Dem coalition government and then continued by the tories following the next election.

Finally the fact is up until the US toxic mortgage disaster triggered a worldwide recession Labour had actually overseen the longest period of growth in the UK since records began. If you’re going to talk about the last Labour government and their record on the economy that’s part of it.

wingy

It was an economic decision. The choices were get the people that crashed the world’s banking system to pay for it or get the plebs to pick up the cost with austerity.
Was it or was it simply a belief that it couldn't go on, IE a loss of confidence in the market fuelled by commentators jitters?

Philosorapter

I think it's more part of political ideology that's facilitated the wealth transfer that's happened, and is still happening. ⁹

I'd agree with this. Austerity was political ideology. The Tory's have cut public services to the minimum. Something the Labour party recently seem to want to copy.

wingy

Do the maths on it dipshit, the figures probably won’t fit on your calculator. And people wonder why there is no money to
Spend on anything else but in their Infinate wisdom they think we should just let more and more people in to country to be paid for by the working public. You think you don’t recognise the country now? Wait 10 years and you will wish you’d done something about it.
But we'll have welcomed how many in the official numbers?

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh good more strikes, where do I sign up? Only a soundbite keep the unions onside as they won't strike under Labour now (yes I'm aware of 78!)

Fwiw I selfishly want things that nobody is really pledging.

More help with tax breaks for neglected middle earners, subsidised rail, scrapping HS rail, investment in British industry, cutting taxes, affordable housing, skilled immigration, tighter borders, scrap tv licence, more police, less admin waste on public services with budget moving to front line staff, less spent on defence overseas, give up the Falklands, Gibraltar and Northern Ireland, spend the money at home.

Will await the manifestos but assume I'm not really aligned to anything! No issues with renationalisation either, quite happy with a single rail network, electric, gas and water too, just not top of my agenda, but not precious on them remaining private.

Politically homeless but certainly not ready to nail my colours to Starmer although he'll get in with a landslide regardless so fairly pointless. Even he can't fail, Labour will win in spite of him and not because of him.

Don't panic, fully aware most won't agree, no mention of education or much substance on law or environmental policy, just my ramblings for Tony to pull apart 😉
Interesting for you not to consider part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland not to be ‘home’ spending. Sure needs it in my view.

As for union and employment rights, they’re of importance to every working person in the country. The rights to collective bargaining and to striking need strengthening and invariably help the workforces who are prepared to utilise them.

rob9872

Interesting for you not to consider part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland not to be ‘home’ spending. Sure needs it in my view.
I chose my words carefully and said GB not UK as I'd already said about giving up on Falklands, Gibraltar and Northern Ireland, so couldnt advocate spending money there. We have no rights to any of them and they cost money. I get that some residents see themselves British so as we need immigration they can be the first in should they choose to.

rob9872

As for union and employment rights, they’re of importance to every working person in the country. The rights to collective bargaining and to striking need strengthening and invariably help the workforces who are prepared to utilise them.
When was the last time anyone went on strike for Fred who was wronged at B&Q or Tracey from McDonald's? In fact on a real scale for the mismanaged, sacked and in some cases jailed sub-postmasters? Let's not pretend the unions these days that are powerful and run the Labour leadership are for nothing more than to get more pay for public workers by holding a Tory government to ransom. Won't hear a peep out of them for the next 5 years.

Brighton Sky Blue

I chose my words carefully and said GB not UK as I'd already said about giving up on Falklands, Gibraltar and Northern Ireland, so couldnt advocate spending money there. We have no rights to any of them and they cost money. I get that some residents see themselves British so as we need immigration they can be the first in should they choose to.
We do by the consent of all 3 populations so until that changes then we should fulfil our obligations. Especially NI, it’s been very badly neglected.

shmmeee

Kick granny out and tax her ? 😊

For what it’s worth I also agree that richer people can/should be taxed more but even so, I still think everyone will have to pay more for better public services in future unless someone can quickly solve the growth/productivity puzzle*

I think for parties to pretend that’s not the case is disingenuous

*AI might help but not sure how long it will take

I wouldn’t be hanging my hopes on AI. I think we need to build stuff. I’m worried by how it’s dropped out of Starmers mind seemingly, I guess because the same people that have stopped every other politician from taking on planning reform have stopped him too.

Grendel

It was an economic decision. The choices were get the people that crashed the world’s banking system to pay for it or get the plebs to pick up the cost with austerity.

You voted for it

Grendel

Firstly I’m not going to say that they couldn’t have done more to protect the country from the effects of a world banking crisis caused by the toxic mortgage industry in America because they certainly could have. For instance under Blair they relaxed controls on bankers which made the UK banking more exposed than it would have been otherwise.

Secondly austerity was implemented by the Tory/Lib Dem coalition government and then continued by the tories following the next election.

Finally the fact is up until the US toxic mortgage disaster triggered a worldwide recession Labour had actually overseen the longest period of growth in the UK since records began. If you’re going to talk about the last Labour government and their record on the economy that’s part of it.

You voted for it — twice

Ian1779

Bring the numbers dipshit, we’ll have a Maths party

Brighton Sky Blue

Another piece of maths…most of our immigration prior to Brexit came from outside the EU. So is it any great surprise that the government keeps failing to hit its own ambition to stop letting foreigners live here?

skybluetony176

Is Labour going to restore local authority budgets to where they should be in real terms using 2010 as a benchmark?
Now that is a good question that needs answering and thus far there nothing more from Labour than a few sound bites about freeing up cash to councils to build new social housing. Undoubtedly needed but when you look at the statistics on average the cuts equate to about 25% in real terms since 2010 so the issue is far bigger than just building houses, it’s everything that a council does from maintaining roads to social care.

hamertime

The same crap was said 20 years ago and it’s still recognisable as the UK.
😂😂😂😂😂 of course it is.

5 billion a year just to house illegal
Immigrants, the scary part is our leaders have no idea how to stop it or get rid of them. They are all to weak to even talk about is as they know the left wing morons will be calling them racist blah blah blah and they will be out of a job so they just plod on to keep them self employable.

hamertime

Another piece of maths…most of our immigration prior to Brexit came from outside the EU. So is it any great surprise that the government keeps failing to hit its own ambition to stop letting foreigners live here?
So the government has said if current trends continue the cost to the Uk taxpayer will be 11 billion a year at 2026, and people wonder why there is no money.

Sick Boy

😂😂😂😂😂 of course it is.

Immigrants, the scary part is our leaders have no idea how to stop it or get rid of them. They are all to weak to even talk about is as they know the left wing morons will be calling them racist blah blah blah and they will be out of a job so they just plod on to keep them self employable.
What part of the UK do you think has majorly changed that makes it look less like the UK? 20 years ago we were told we’d have Sharia Law by now and look how that turned out.

Ian1779

😂😂😂😂😂 of course it is.

IMG_2334.jpeg

shmmeee

What should I use?

Whatever you want. Just interesting that that’s you’re comparison. Almost like Labour have a track record of producing even when a bunch of people are crying that they’re right wing because they arent offering nationalised Palestinian flags for non binaries.

fernandopartridge

Whatever you want. Just interesting that that’s you’re comparison. Almost like Labour have a track record of producing even when a bunch of people are crying that they’re right wing because they arent offering nationalised Palestinian flags for non binaries.
Well let's see. They're inheriting what to my mind is pretty much a failed state

fatso

Genuine question here. Can any one verify the following claim?

After a light hearted chat down the local, I was told by someone with far more political knowledge than myself, (and probably more than any one on here) that in the entire history of British politics, there has never once been a Labour government that left office with more people IN work than when they started that term of office.

I'd be Interested to know if this is true.
I wasn't going to argue the toss at the time as I hadn't gone down the pub to talk boring politics.

Users who are viewing this thread