“The Brighton Model” (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

The point I was alluding to wasn’t that we should be better than Brighton. But that our summer signings would slot in at the most expensive, then numbers 3/4/5/8/9/10 in that side. And if they can pick up first team PL players for under £3m, could we have done better?

Has there been a tinge of “instant success” about this window, and an abandonment of previous transfer philosophy, or were we always just constrained by finances? And if so was that actually a good thing?

Does our scouting policy get diminishing returns above a certain value of player?

Flying Fokker

The point I was alluding to wasn’t that we should be better than Brighton. But that our summer signings would slot in at the most expensive, then numbers 3/4/5/8/9/10 in that side. And if they can pick up first team PL players for under £3m, could we have done better?

Has there been a tinge of “instant success” about this window, and an abandonment of previous transfer philosophy, or were we always just constrained by finances? And if so was that actually a good thing?

Does our scouting policy get diminishing returns above a certain value of player?
Instant success is our 4 or 5 year plan as spoken of by the club. Every team has gems and duds in them. Some players just confuse the issue.
IMO Our current successful players bought in this season.

Latibaudiere, Da Silva, Milan.

? Collins, Thomas, Kitching

WIP. Wright, Simms, Sakamoto,Binks, Oware (Couldn’t resist), Amari,

Brighton Sky Blue

There has been an interesting change in mentality among some supporters thinking that our expenditure assures us of a strong season whereas those who haven’t spent as much will surely not do as well. Ignoring that for the last 2 seasons where we were the begging bowl holders of the division and excelled despite the budget and we made some big spenders look very ordinary.

What having a small squad does give is very strong cohesion and understanding which allowed us to punch above our financial weight with the drawback of fatigue/injuries. Now this large influx of new players has to build that again from scratch. If they do I think the football will be sensational to watch, if they don’t we’ll be this season’s Stoke tribute act.

rob9872

I was hoping for pictures of Miss Brighton 2023 or at the very minimum a sneaky peak of BSB in swimwear 😞

slowpoke

Welbeck, Lallana and Dahoud might’ve been free but they’ll all be on astronomical wages compared to our squad.

They’re incredibly impressive though, although I’m not sure whether Brighton should be the story or StarLizard and Tony Bloom.
But they can afford it, just reeled in £105million for Caicedo & £50million+ last season from Arsenal for Ben White, have they been missed ? They a likely to get more millions for Mitoma and Evan Ferguson, their scouting system has to be the best in the country and the clever signing of James Milner what a superb influence he’ll be to their young players.
Not sure how much of the money goes in Tony Blooms pocket though.
But look at the state of some Premiership clubs such as Everton, Wolves the Brighton model is one to follow for sure.
But fans have to realise it takes time good players like Gyorkeres, like Hamer will come and go

Alkhen

Their recruitment is undeniably excellent but they can pick up PL quality players because they are a PL team. their facilities, scouting and coaching teams are way beyond what we have, so I don't think we can compete currently. Also not sure a single one from that line up would fit into out wage structure even if we could afford the fees.

Must be pretty difficult for our team to move from picking through scraps to this next level where we can target players we want and pay decent fees to get deals done. Im pretty happy with what we did in the summer, MvE looks to be nailed on to make money down the line, we upgraded a few positions with frees and structured deals based on success. certainly feels a bit more planned out than it has in recent years. The only signing that seems a bit of a 'instant success' punt to me is Wright, really hope he can match the fee we paid. but then even teams like Brighton pay big for players from time to time.

shmmeee

Their recruitment is undeniably excellent but they can pick up PL quality players because they are a PL team. their facilities, scouting and coaching teams are way beyond what we have, so I don't think we can compete currently. Also not sure a single one from that line up would fit into out wage structure even if we could afford the fees.

Must be pretty difficult for our team to move from picking through scraps to this next level where we can target players we want and pay decent fees to get deals done. Im pretty happy with what we did in the summer, MvE looks to be nailed on to make money down the line, we upgraded a few positions with frees and structured deals based on success. certainly feels a bit more planned out than it has in recent years. The only signing that seems a bit of a 'instant success' punt to me is Wright, really hope he can match the fee we paid. but then even teams like Brighton pay big for players from time to time.

Yeah I agree with all that. I’m not wetting the bed. Just feels like one of our worst windows for value when you look at other signings we and others have made. I wonder if we wouldn’t have been better doubling down on the old approach, are Sheaf, Vik, O’Hare and Hamer that much worse to start with than MvE, Simms, Wright and Kitching? Or has inflation just gone up that much that a £1m player is now a £3M player?

shmmeee

Sigh.

People should stop reporting transfer fees and start reporting total cost including fees over the length of the contract. It would put an end to stuff like this

Have we never signed a player for less than £3M before this window then?

SkyBlueMatt

Of course we could have done better (or quite easily a lot worse) but MR and his staff do not have a crystal ball. Apart from wanting an extra midfielder, I would say everyone was over the moon with our summer transfers.

I think we're progressing nicely, people are just too impatient after last season and the money we've spent. Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for the Brighton Model, they are in a position to be able to pay obscene wages (in comparison to us). I'm sure there were players that were available to us who were going cheap/free but would have demanded large sign on fees or wages that we just couldn't afford.

You always pay for it one way or the other, with free agents (or players that clubs want rid) you pay through increased wages, agent fees & sign on fees.

slowpoke

We have a wage structure that suits us at this current time, get in the prem it will change, get to Brightons position with large sales and good recruitment it will change again.

Alkhen

I have no idea how this thread ended up being about wages…

I get your original point, would be interesting to see what the likes of Brighton, Bentford and Bournmouth spent to get up into the Prem.

but wages are a huge factor in the level of player we could attract and for what price.

These are probably bollocks (Trossard left) but picking up talented free signing and also having the ability to retain players you have produced/developed basically boils down to being able to pay Prem wages

1695126133010.png

shmmeee

I get your original point, would be interesting to see what the likes of Brighton, Bentford and Bournmouth spent to get up into the Prem.

but wages are a huge factor in the level of player we could attract and for what price.

These are probably bollocks (Trossard left) but picking up talented free signing and also having the ability to retain players you have produced/developed basically boils down to being able to pay Prem wages

View attachment 31883

So we have to spend more because we can’t afford good wages? How did we manage before this summer then? I’m confused. Again, I’m not saying we should be buying the same quality as Brighton, I’m saying did we spend too much too soon and should have just slightly bumped the spend on similar targets to before?

skybluecam

So we have to spend more because we can’t afford good wages? How did we manage before this summer then? I’m confused. Again, I’m not saying we should be buying the same quality as Brighton, I’m saying did we spend too much too soon and should have just slightly bumped the spend on similar targets to before?
Brighton have spent about £90m this summer. They’ve got £40m worth of new players that haven’t even made an appearance yet. So its not like they haven’t spent fairly big.

shmmeee

Brighton have spent about £90m this summer. They’ve got £40m worth of new players that haven’t even made an appearance yet. So inot like they haven’t spent fairly big.

Frustrated Cbs GIF by Paramount+

blunted

I remember Chelsea when they were successful saying it takes up to 18 months for a player from abroad to fully settle into the team and UK based players take a while also. Obviously, they were operating at a much higher level than us but getting the best out of a player usually takes time. Fadz, Allen, O'Hare, Sheaf, Vic and Gus took a while to settle and only played at the top of their game after a season or so. I started a thread are our current scouting team better than Badlan etc.? And I honestly don't know at the moment. Too early to judge but certainly, value for money puts the old team way ahead in the short term. I think it will come good but the two beefs I have at the moment are: Where are the cheap gems from the lower leagues, and going on past experience, we cannot afford to have players that cost more than a million warming the bench and not coming on. Brighton can afford that, as can most Prem teams.

Alkhen

Nah I mean we have moved up from picking from the dregs in the free and lower league market. There had to be a jump in the perceived standard of player we chase and this summer especially teams and agents knew we had cash in our pockets. I just think we are in a bit of a weird space in the transfer ecosystem. Not a huge pull status wise but our run last year will have turned a few heads.

Would be really interesting to see what the non Prem parachute teams did the years they went up.

I think quite of a few of the deals seem about right value wise. Wright seems a gamble and Kitchen the time limits probably forced our hand.

shmmeee

Nah I mean we have moved up from picking from the dregs in the free and lower league market. There had to be a jump in the perceived standard of player we chase and this summer especially teams and agents knew we had cash in our pockets. I just think we are in a bit of a weird space in the transfer ecosystem. Not a huge pull status wise but our run last year will have turned a few heads.

Would be really interesting to see what the non Prem parachute teams did the years they went up.

I think quite of a few of the deals seem about right value wise. Wright seems a gamble and Kitchen the time limits probably forced our hand.

Yeah. MvE is special. Is Simms comes good it probably won’t look so bad. I dunno, maybe Vik, Sheaf and Gus spoiled us

Alkhen

Yeah. MvE is special. Is Simms comes good it probably won’t look so bad. I dunno, maybe Vik, Sheaf and Gus spoiled us
Yeah feels odd we have spent as much as we have, feels risky. I'm constantly on edge about never reliving the last decade plus of misery. But I guess we have only reinvested our transfer profit which although feels really alien in a Cov context even if just what decent clubs do.

Those 3 players you mentioned along with O'Hare were brilliant business but arguably its the coaching and opportunity they got to play here that made them the players they are today, it didnt even particularly start quickly for any of them either. I dont think Sheaf or Vik showed all that much promise early on. I recon we'll be ok

Grendel

Brighton when promoted had a £44 million wage bill and an interest free loan of £100m from their owner

Finham

There has been an interesting change in mentality among some supporters thinking that our expenditure assures us of a strong season whereas those who haven’t spent as much will surely not do as well. Ignoring that for the last 2 seasons where we were the begging bowl holders of the division and excelled despite the budget and we made some big spenders look very ordinary.

What having a small squad does give is very strong cohesion and understanding which allowed us to punch above our financial weight with the drawback of fatigue/injuries. Now this large influx of new players has to build that again from scratch. If they do I think the football will be sensational to watch, if they don’t we’ll be this season’s Stoke tribute act.
And yet most would agree that Lati and Dasilva look two of our best signings-whilst also being two of the cheapest. No coincidence that they are probably amongst those the club knew most about before signing.

I really wish we could have found a couple more like that-used to playing in the league as well-without spending so much.

DrPoolittle

Brighton have the money to afford a scouting network.

Brighton can afford to make mistakes in the transfer market.

We cant

But we can try to hoover up their cast offs

Users who are viewing this thread