1994 on 6 music (1 Viewer)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Anyone else already swimming in nostalgia.......

1994 eh.....only seems like yesterday......I was a 23 year old disenfranchised graduate with a six-pack, a manageable habit & a lust for life.....

spent the 1st half of the year working security in london, then bought a 1 way flight to greece (my first ever flight) & spent the next 6 months hitch-hiking around europe getting high & partying......

Ahhhh.....those were the days......I think:penguin:

Monners

Anyone else already swimming in nostalgia.......

1994 eh.....only seems like yesterday......I was a 23 year old disenfranchised graduate with a six-pack, a manageable habit & a lust for life.....

spent the 1st half of the year working security in london, then bought a 1 way flight to greece (my first ever flight) & spent the next 6 months hitch-hiking around europe getting high & partying......

Ahhhh.....those were the days......I think:penguin:
I was 28 and got married in 94.(still am - married that is, not 28)
Music wise it was the year of Oasis - the antidote to boy band manufactured shit.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yep.....I remember blasting supersonic out of my bedsit window about 15 times in a row......mainly to wake up the Bosnian refugees who had kept me awake all night with their 30-strong gang chatter outside my block......

Looking back, I'd like to think I helped them integrate into UK culture......I played them Oasis, blur & pulp every day & introduced them to MDMA......the lucky lucky buggers

eastwoodsdustman

I was 23 and was at loads of gigs and festivals right through until about 1996. I loved grunge and guitar based stuff but had seen a lot of Blur and the likes as they were coming through.
Seemed like a really hot summer that year and remember phoenix festival with the Wonder Stuffs 'supposed' last ever gig. First and only time I crowd surfed!

torchomatic

I know it was because I am old but the 90s was a bit of a wasteland for me. I was in my thirties by the mid 90s and didn't really like the music around at the time. The only bands I bought records by were the Inspiral Carpets and Shack. And records by artists I liked who happened to release a new LP every now and then. Everything else was pretty much shit to me.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Shack were fucking ace Torchy.......love pretty much all of Mick Heads stuff.....saw him & his red elastic band last year.

Massively under-rated & often overlooked songwriter......several of his songs can make me cry.

I loved the era from my first ever pill & rave in 1988 through to about 95.....the rave, brit-pop, diy indie & trip hop stuff was all great......the over-hyped USA grunge stuff got right on my tits mind....

torchomatic

Shack were fucking ace Torchy.......love pretty much all of Mick Heads stuff.....saw him & his red elastic band last year.

Massively under-rated & often overlooked songwriter......several of his songs can make me cry.

I loved the era from my first ever pill & rave in 1988 through to about 95.....the rave, brit-pop, diy indie & trip hop stuff was all great......the over-hyped USA grunge stuff got right on my tits mind....

I actually started Shacknet (not sure if you've heard of it) in 1998 - it's still going strong - I baled out from running the site about seven years ago. I was a big Pale Fountains fan in the 80s and continued when they morphed into Shack. I've seen Shack loads of times over the years. Not seen him as the Red Elastic Band unfortunately.

Monners

Some decent bands in the mid 90's that had a short shelf life, but Pulp were brilliant - saw them 4 times. Jarvis Cocker - the hero of the tall. skinny bloke (I am no longer skinny though)

Edit: Pale Fountains - have them on tape somewhere - think it's Friday dig out time

jimmyhillsfanclub

I actually started Shacknet (not sure if you've heard of it) in 1998 - it's still going strong - I baled out from running the site about seven years ago. I was a big Pale Fountains fan in the 80s and continued when they morphed into Shack. I've seen Shack loads of times over the years. Not seen him as the Red Elastic Band unfortunately.

Nice one. Respect due.

Liverpools Kensington has become a little gentrified & studenty these days......well, maybe not gentrified, but at least most of the houses actually have windows nowadays & the crack dens have all but gone......but I often have "streets of kenny" as an earworm if I ever find myself wandering around that end of town....

covcity4life

It was one of the worst world cups ever, apart from Ireland beating Italy

no it wasnt. just because england were there doesnt mean it wasnt a great world cup, lots of memorable moments

baggio and romario on fire
georgie hagi magic
maradonna being sent home
following usa in hope they do well for the home fans(well i did and still do anyway)
bebeto baby celebrations
that saudi arabia goal where ran from one end of a pitch to the other!
germany vs s korea(klinsmann turn and volley) was such a good match to watch as were italy vs nigeria and ireland vs italy
the look of the tournament to is so memorable as it was so friggen sunny.
the final was dissapointing but what 12 year doesnt like a pen shoot out? just sad italy didnt win

fernandopartridge

The best part for me cc4l was John Aldridge's spat with the 4th official.

Football wise, you've forgotten the good Bulgarian team, Stoichov was ace.

Actually, you're right, it wasn't that bad but in football terms, it was the first time the world cup had gone to a nation who had no genuine football pedigree, the first world cup that was more about commerce than football. Since then it's got worse to the point that Qatar are hosting it in a few years.

covcity4life

Actually, you're right, it wasn't that bad but in football terms, it was the first time the world cup had gone to a nation who had no genuine football pedigree, the first world cup that was more about commerce than football. Since then it's got worse to the point that Qatar are hosting it in a few years.

yes many memories. our convo got me looking forward to russia. 12pm 2pm and 6pm kicksoffs in group stage. i will need to book time off work lol. quatar i agree is wrong. november world cup wtf.

to be fair to usa they used the world cup as catalyst and its paid dividends. mls was born because of world cup.

sorry for taking off topic!

Sick Boy

I was 9...will never forget Ray Houghton's goal and getting covered in Guinness...those were the days ;)

Just saw Bulgaria get a mention, remember them very clearly and happy memories watching the games that summer with my grandad.

torchomatic

Monners

I was 9...will never forget Ray Houghton's goal and getting covered in Guinness...those were the days ;)

Just saw Bulgaria get a mention, remember them very clearly and happy memories watching the games that summer with my grandad.
Happy days mate. I was old enough to spill Guinness then!

clint van damme

I was in Florida in 2000 when a young local girl, 18ish, approached me because she had seen my City tattoo.
Turns out her dad had took her to as many games as possible during the 94 world cup and she had got the 'soccer' bug. Asked me all about City, who are players were, what it was like going to games in England. I was quite impressed.

Sick Boy

I was in Florida in 2000 when a young local girl, 18ish, approached me because she had seen my City tattoo.
Turns out her dad had took her to as many games as possible during the 94 world cup and she had got the 'soccer' bug. Asked me all about City, who are players were, what it was like going to games in England. I was quite impressed.

Didn't we sign Cobi Jones and Roy Wegerle after that WC? I seem to remember we nearly signed another one as well?

trevelfarandwide

my favourite world cup ever. 12 years old and not a worry in the world!
Was just about to post this, ha, I was 15 at the time and USA 94 was my world - so many fond memories, especially Letchkov's amazing diving header to knock Germany out. :)

1994, a lifetime ago, but it's still vivid. For me, it evokes memories of gaming with my mates (SNES addicts), playing footy at the back of the Hillfields community centre, a brilliant Sun holiday to Weymouth and generally a feeling of having no concerns, no worries and no responsibilities.

Oh and that N-Trance song, which was playing when I got surprisingly lucky with a hottie at youth club. Ooh yeah, size of 'em. :)

Sick Boy

Was just about to post this, ha, I was 15 at the time and USA 94 was my world - so many fond memories, especially Letchkov's amazing diving header to knock Germany out. :)

1994, a lifetime ago, but it's still vivid. For me, it evokes memories of gaming with my mates (SNES addicts), playing footy at the back of the Hillfields community centre, a brilliant Sun holiday to Weymouth and generally a feeling of having no concerns, no worries and no responsibilities.

Oh and that N-Trance song, which was playing when I got surprisingly lucky with a hottie at youth club. Ooh yeah, size of 'em. :)

hahaha...can still remember the commentary from that goal...what a game.

trevelfarandwide

hahaha...can still remember the commentary from that goal...what a game.
Can't recall the commentary tbh, but I'd go as far as to say, that was the best diving header ever. Well, most spectacular anyway.

Hagi scored a few screamers for Romania too, the guy was unplayable.

Also, 1994 was Sensible Soccer World Cup 94 year for me, the cartridge was sat in my SNES for a good 5 weeks bon stop at one point.

And to cap it all, it fucking snowed at Xmas, what a year. :)

rondog1973

Can't recall the commentary tbh, but I'd go as far as to say, that was the best diving header ever. Well, most spectacular anyway.

Hagi scored a few screamers for Romania too, the guy was unplayable.

Also, 1994 was Sensible Soccer World Cup 94 year for me, the cartridge was sat in my SNES for a good 5 weeks bon stop at one point.

And to cap it all, it fucking snowed at Xmas, what a year. :)
Absolute sacrilege!

trevelfarandwide

Absolute sacrilege!
I knew that comment would cause controversy. ;)

Houchen's was momentous and brilliant, Letchkov's was spectacular and Germany-slapping.

Better? :)

Liquid Gold

World cup wise nothing beats France '98 for me. Maybe it's an age thing as I was only 6 in 94 and although I enjoyed it I didn't really 'get' it. The BBC theme music from 98 gives me tingles still. Owen breaking through for England, Ronaldo at the peak of his powers and then the mysterious will he won't he play in the final, Croatia smashing everybody, the whole black blanc beur thing of the hosts, Romania all dying their hair, that keeper taking free kicks, Columbia's bird man, the advert with the Brazil players in the airport. It was the first 32 team tournament too which I think is the perfect format

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jeez! I was 41 in 1994! Only seems like yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread