24 years ago today! (1 Viewer)

skybluesteve76

I was on my way to Wembley in my dads old Sierra estate. Ready to witness the best FA cup final ever! What a day, what an atmosphere! Give anything to see that again. Go for it City!

skybluesteve76

Can't believe that nobody's interested in the anniversary of our finest hour! It beats all the usual contract signing, pre season friendly, transfer rumour tosh! Come on let's rejoice in our glory day, share memories, savour those memories forget about the current mess for two minutes!

Rich

Or we could look to the future and try to achieve something momentous again. Not being funny but I was only 3 when we won so I'd like some memories of my own.

skybluesteve76

Or we could look to the future and try to achieve something momentous again. Not being funny but I was only 3 when we won so I'd like some memories of my own.

Exactly why your not interested mate. I'm not talking about forever living in The past I'm talking about remembering on the anniversary of a momentous occasion. I was there, I was 14 and I remember it all. It's all the club has ever won. And ever likely to for that matter! Let's not forget it Is all I'm saying, because they are my memories.

Rich

I think that this would be apt for most people on the forum? I get the idea that the majority of us are too young to remember.

gouldberg

24 years ago today, I was minus 5 years old :(

Come on City, bit of success for the newbies please :p

TheRoyalScam

Well I'm interested, sbsteve76!:p

1987 - the year we won the FA Cup in one of the greatest finals of all time [http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-cup-finals-1692360.html?action=Gallery&ino=8] and the same year I met Mrs Scam!

Drove down to Watford on the Friday and spent the evening on the lash with my future brother-in-law - Watford had lost to Spurs in the other semi-final so all the Watford fans made us very welcome.

Picked up in the morning by the Sky Blue Sherpa and drove to Wembley for liquid lunch with kebab and chips - then the walk down Wembley Way in glorious sunshine.

Stood behind the goal where Houchen scored, masses of Sky Blue flags and scarves, constantly outsung Spurs and enjoyed a rollercoaster of emotions watching the match.:(:p:(:p:laugh:

Spurs fans very magnanimous in defeat walking back down Wembley Way. Then the drive back up the M1 cheered on by people on the bridges waving flags.

In the Wallace bar and watched the highlights on the TV - 'Score in a minute, we're gonna score in a minute...........'

Didn't come down from the sky blue cloud for weeks!

oh yeah - Villa were relegated too:laugh:!

skybluesteve76

Well I'm interested, sbsteve76!:p

1987 - the year we won the FA Cup in one of the greatest finals of all time [http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-cup-finals-1692360.html?action=Gallery&ino=8] and the same year I met Mrs Scam!

Drove down to Watford on the Friday and spent the evening on the lash with my future brother-in-law - Watford had lost to Spurs in the other semi-final so all the Watford fans made us very welcome.

Picked up in the morning by the Sky Blue Sherpa and drove to Wembley for liquid lunch with kebab and chips - then the walk down Wembley Way in glorious sunshine.

Stood behind the goal where Houchen scored, masses of Sky Blue flags and scarves, constantly outsung Spurs and enjoyed a rollercoaster of emotions watching the match.:(:p:(:p:laugh:

Spurs fans very magnanimous in defeat walking back down Wembley Way. Then the drive back up the M1 cheered on by people on the bridges waving flags.

In the Wallace bar and watched the highlights on the TV - 'Score in a minute, we're gonna score in a minute...........'

Didn't come down from the sky blue cloud for weeks!

oh yeah - Villa were relegated too:laugh:!

Well said that man! Amen. I was starting to feel very old at 35!

Regis87

I was 21 , it was brilliant !
Not many football fans can say that they have seen their team win the FA cup . I am very lucky to be able to say just that . We all had a feeling after beating Man Utd that this was our year even though the year ended with a 1 and we were playing Spurs . Best song :" were all pissed up and were going to win the cup Wembley Wembley "

sky_blue_up_north

Can't believe that nobody's interested in the anniversary of our finest hour! It beats all the usual contract signing, pre season friendly, transfer rumour tosh! Come on let's rejoice in our glory day, share memories, savour those memories forget about the current mess for two minutes!

I reckon the club will make a big fuss about it next season 25th Anniversary

Walking Bird

:claping hands:

Yeah! And wasn't "Go for it!" the WORST football song ever released!!

Dunno do you class this as a football song???

[video=youtube;1KEMMfV5-Qg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEMMfV5-Qg[/video]

Macca

Exactly why your not interested mate. I'm not talking about forever living in The past I'm talking about remembering on the anniversary of a momentous occasion. I was there, I was 14 and I remember it all. It's all the club has ever won. And ever likely to for that matter! Let's not forget it Is all I'm saying, because they are my memories.

You know you are getting old Steve when people don't remember and couldn't give a toss about the clubs greatest day. Makes a 30 something feel like an 80 year old. Mind you I can understand it as I was like that when my Dad used to go on about the Wolves match in the 60's and Jimmy Hill riding around the pitch on a horse!

Nothing will ever eclipse that day for me. We could get promoted and win the Champions League and it couldn't beat it. Point is it is more than just what happened on the pitch.

Being 12 back then, football was my life and I was utterly obsessed with City. A loss on a Saturday could make me sulk for 2 or 3 days. I followed every last morsel of news and knew the players details, stats inside out. Now with a career, wife and kids I see it more as an entertainment and have it far more in perspective.

Football was a different game then and getting to Wembley was still the ultimate prize. Most fans would have accepted relegation to win the cup, no playing under strength teams. Many players had still never played at Wembley without play offs and lower league cup competitions so it was massive for them. Even the stadium was unique in itself, different from anything else in the country, now just a bigger version of a modern club ground. Something as simple as the novelty of the team being live on television before the mass overload of football news and coverage.

It was a truly amazing achievement and perhaps magnified because they were simpler times. Would 250,000 people turn up for a victory parade now? Maybe but I have my doubts

Covstu

I was 7 years old but remember it like it was yesterday but although it was a great day thats in the past!!! we are sounding like England fans droaning on about 66!!

bamalamafizzfazz

I am only 27 and missed out on the whole thing :( I love hearing the stories though so keep them coming. Did anyone go and see that play at the Belgrade when it was on?

Rich

You know you are getting old Steve when people don't remember and couldn't give a toss about the clubs greatest day. Makes a 30 something feel like an 80 year old. Mind you I can understand it as I was like that when my Dad used to go on about the Wolves match in the 60's and Jimmy Hill riding around the pitch on a horse!

Nothing will ever eclipse that day for me. We could get promoted and win the Champions League and it couldn't beat it. Point is it is more than just what happened on the pitch.

Being 12 back then, football was my life and I was utterly obsessed with City. A loss on a Saturday could make me sulk for 2 or 3 days. I followed every last morsel of news and knew the players details, stats inside out. Now with a career, wife and kids I see it more as an entertainment and have it far more in perspective.

Football was a different game then and getting to Wembley was still the ultimate prize. Most fans would have accepted relegation to win the cup, no playing under strength teams. Many players had still never played at Wembley without play offs and lower league cup competitions so it was massive for them. Even the stadium was unique in itself, different from anything else in the country, now just a bigger version of a modern club ground. Something as simple as the novelty of the team being live on television before the mass overload of football news and coverage.

It was a truly amazing achievement and perhaps magnified because they were simpler times. Would 250,000 people turn up for a victory parade now? Maybe but I have my doubts

To say that we don't give a toss is not fair. I often marvel at the bus in the Museum and i have watched the match in full a couple of times. I just wasn't around for the day and would love for it to happen again so I can see what it feels like.

Tankie

Mum waved us off,

Three of us, My dad, myself and brother Paul, we were going to the mecca of football, Wembly Stadium, and still couldn't believe it, but a glance out of the car windows really bought it home, the whole of coventry was bedecked in Sky Blue, and it certainly bought a lump to our throats, and a shiver down our spines.

my Dad was in his late sixties at he time, and had been a supporter since the 1930s, so this was a real bonus for him, seeing his beloved Coventry City, playing in a cup final, against the mighty spurs, He used to take me on the crossbar of his bike, From Wheelwright Lane, Ash Green, to Highfield Road, this was in the days of three cars in the street, and not three cars in every driveway,the bike was parked in a front garden of a house near to the ground, for the princely sum of threpence,

AS we headed down the M1, it appeared as if the whole road belonged to Coventry City Supporters, with scarves, Banners, flags
and the occasional Sky blue elephant, adorning every Vehicle.

WE arrived in London, and parked the Car, which for interest, was a new Maestro,Belonging to Paul, on Brent Town Hall car park, after a tip off, that it would be ok.

WE had been to every cup round, including the Monumental, heart stopping, Semi against Leeds, but this was the the last journey of the campaign, this was no dream, we were actually walking up wembly Way, in what was a fantastic carnival atmosphere, to Support our own "sky blues"

The game itself was a classic, a true David and Goliath affair, which has been described as among the best ever seen at Wembly, and a true testiment of the grit and determination,of both players and management alike, not to mention the amazing show of support from the City end, which was an unbroken show of Sky Blue flags.

As Skipper, Brian Kilcline held up the F.A Cup, the emotion couldn't be contained any longer, and as three grown men hugged each other, the tears ran freely down our cheeks, I have to admit that I'm even getting "Girlie" now just writing about it, such was the impact of this fantastic day out.

Sadly, dad is no longer here,But my brother and I are still season ticket holders, and I've Bought two for my Grandsons, so the link between Coventry city football Club and my Family stretches back from the nineteen thirties to the present day, a statistic of which I'm very proud.

Warmest regards...Tank Top...

Macca

Mum waved us off,

Three of us, My dad, myself and brother Paul, we were going to the mecca of football, Wembly Stadium, and still couldn't believe it, but a glance out of the car windows really bought it home, the whole of coventry was bedecked in Sky Blue, and it certainly bought a lump to our throats, and a shiver down our spines.

my Dad was in his late sixties at he time, and had been a supporter since the 1930s, so this was a real bonus for him, seeing his beloved Coventry City, playing in a cup final, against the mighty spurs, He used to take me on the crossbar of his bike, From Wheelwright Lane, Ash Green, to Highfield Road, this was in the days of three cars in the street, and not three cars in every driveway,the bike was parked in a front garden of a house near to the ground, for the princely sum of threpence,

AS we headed down the M1, it appeared as if the whole road belonged to Coventry City Supporters, with scarves, Banners, flags
and the occasional Sky blue elephant, adorning every Vehicle.

WE arrived in London, and parked the Car, which for interest, was a new Maestro,Belonging to Paul, on Brent Town Hall car park, after a tip off, that it would be ok.

WE had been to every cup round, including the Monumental, heart stopping, Semi against Leeds, but this was the the last journey of the campaign, this was no dream, we were actually walking up wembly Way, in what was a fantastic carnival atmosphere, to Support our own "sky blues"

The game itself was a classic, a true David and Goliath affair, which has been described as among the best ever seen at Wembly, and a true testiment of the grit and determination,of both players and management alike, not to mention the amazing show of support from the City end, which was an unbroken show of Sky Blue flags.

As Skipper, Brian Kilcline held up the F.A Cup, the emotion couldn't be contained any longer, and as three grown men hugged each other, the tears ran freely down our cheeks, I have to admit that I'm even getting "Girlie" now just writing about it, such was the impact of this fantastic day out.

Sadly, dad is no longer here,But my brother and I are still season ticket holders, and I've Bought two for my Grandsons, so the link between Coventry city football Club and my Family stretches back from the nineteen thirties to the present day, a statistic of which I'm very proud.

Warmest regards...Tank Top...

a Maestro Tankie? Wasn't one of those with a digital speedo was it?

Tankie

Hi maca

I think it may well have been, a digital speedo, but wouldn't swear to it in court, its a long time ago, There's a sad story attached to this car, the season after the cup final, we were coming out out of the Stoke ex service after watching a reserve game, we were within yards of the car, when it Zoomed off, later to be found wrapped round a lampost in Willenhall Wood, stolen and deliberately crashed.

kevinleftpeg

I am 43 yrs old.

I wish I was 7 in 1987....... That would now make me...........? 31!

I remember the semi fondly too as my mate drove us in his XR2 (Fiesta for the young uns). We got there in 1hr! The M1 was dead at 9.30am & the batch vans were not even there. Poohed me kecks at 120mph!

What a day the final was. Roads into Cov on the way back were lined with people waving flags. A sea of Sky Blue.

Cov City Centre was the best ever that night. Boozing & dancing to the Fatback Band & Luther. I finally had a 'tray meal' from Mr Porkies at 3am! Complete with pork, stuffing & roasties, gravy. Then staggered home........... Some of the best memories that year as I was actually 19!

skybluesteve76

I am 43 yrs old.

I wish I was 7 in 1987....... That would now make me...........? 31!

I remember the semi fondly too as my mate drove us in his XR2 (Fiesta for the young uns). We got there in 1hr! The M1 was dead at 9.30am & the batch vans were not even there. Poohed me kecks at 120mph!

What a day the final was. Roads into Cov on the way back were lined with people waving flags. A sea of Sky Blue.

Cov City Centre was the best ever that night. Boozing & dancing to the Fatback Band & Luther. I finally had a 'tray meal' from Mr Porkies at 3am! Complete with pork, stuffing & roasties, gravy. Then staggered home........... Some of the best memories that year as I was actually 19!

Sounds awesome. I'm so glad I was there to see the game, but wasn't old enough to celebrate afterwards unfortunately.

kevinleftpeg

Retro cool......... me likes

Take a look at 'retro killers' clothing website to see the Old Skool fashion I / we old uns wore back in the day. I had progressed from 'Tesco' tearaway trainers by 1987!

I see on dem streets that you boyz like your Fila, Fred P, Adidias, Sergio T, Gola, Pringle, Lyle & S & Dunlop etc.... This site is cool. Based in Brum & the geezer who runs it is tops. It's not me, nor am I associated, so it's only a 'retro' plug as this thread is on the memory tip.

Disorganised1

I was there and I saw Jimmy Hill ride round the pitch, and sat on the edge of the pitch for the Wolves game. My first game was in div3, so I was on the Sky Blue Roller Coaster as we reached the top level, and dropped into the loop the loop, still here, but now I'm worried we're on the final drop to the big splash.

PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread