48 team World Cup. Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Bad idea. The Euros suffered from expansion. You'd just make the group stages way longer and meaningless and people wouldn't pay any attention until the knockouts.

Terry Gibson's perm

As it's such a bad idea they will bring it in as they are clueless at FIFA

CJ_covblaze

It's a terrible idea. Why bother with qualification. Might as well allow all 200 plus teams in and have a massive league for a decade or so. We've already got a guarantee that someone from the Luxembourg, San Marino and Andorra level of teams will qualify for the next Euros. Now that's an even worse idea!

rob9872

Only plus I can see is it gives you a chance to grow into a tournament if they go 8×6 and you guarantee 5 games. If it's 12×4 then a bad move imo

covcity4life

World cup is perfect at 32

I wouldn't mind a 32 team euros tbf. Good for development of smaller nations

But anything over 32 is too much probably. 3 games a day perfect number

Covstu

yep agree its way too much. At the moment the best teams are not getting through due to the continent splits but I don't mind that but lets face it, it would be like qualifying all over again. If its not broke and all that.....

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

But what about the poor players & their burn out (& the fact the burnout players won't be able to spend 2 weeks after doing a round the world tour with their club sides.......)

CJ_covblaze

World cup is perfect at 32

I wouldn't mind a 32 team euros tbf. Good for development of smaller nations

But anything over 32 is too much probably. 3 games a day perfect number

Might sound odd but 32 teams is much better than 24 for fans. Much easier to plan. 24 means 4 possible routes from the group stage to the final. 32 would mean there are only 2 routes.

Main issue is the quality on display. There are at least 10 teams (Andorra, San Marino, Scotland, Luxembourg, etc) of the 54 that would never make it to a tournament without UEFA's qualifying method for 2020. As i said above one of these is guaranteed to. Not many more are left after those. We're talking the likes of Estonia, Lithuania, Belarus and Cyprus. Not awful-lose-5-nil-every-game type teams but they'd have a 1 in 2 chance of qualification.

Last edited:

rob9872

Or Iceland ...... ;-)

covcity4life

Might sound odd but 32 teams is much better than 24 for fans. Much easier to plan. 24 means 4 possible routes from the group stage to the final. 32 would mean there are only 2 routes.

Main issue is the quality on display. There are at least 10 teams (Andorra, San Marino, Scotland, Luxembourg, etc) of the 54 that would never make it to a tournament without UEFA's qualifying method for 2020. As i said above one of these is guaranteed to. Not many more are left after those. We're talking the likes of Estonia, Lithuania, Belarus and Cyprus. Not awful-lose-5-nil-every-game type teams but they'd have a 1 in 2 chance of qualification.

san marino would still not qualify

if euros eextended to 32 the teams you would see on top of this years would be likes of scotland,denmark,norway etc

as this years shown, smaller nations can be a positive and do well in the tournament.

CJ_covblaze

san marino would still not qualify

if euros eextended to 32 the teams you would see on top of this years would be likes of scotland,denmark,norway etc

as this years shown, smaller nations can be a positive and do well in the tournament.

Possibly not but one from the San Marino/Luxembourg level will. If you don't qualify automatically you go into a group with all the teams from the other groups that finished in the same place as you. They all play each other and the winner goes through. E.G. the 6th place teams (out of 6) all play each other in a second qualifying phase. The winner of that goes through to the finals. Or to put it simply there's an advantage to finish bottom of your group over say 3rd as you will play easier teams in the 2 phase.

To make it worse due to this extended qualifying phase the finals line up will finally be confirmed a couple of months before the start of the tournament.

I really hope they realise how stupid this is and change it back to the old method. Not holding my breath though.

CJ_covblaze

It's in an article I read some time ago. Could've been an FA or Uefa email.

RegTheDonk

Agree that the pre-tournament round seems a bit daft.

If they want 48 teams, why not just do that and have 8 groups of 6 rather than 4? Top two go onto knockout as normal.

You get to see your team play at least 5 times, more money for FIFA, more fans able to see their team at the finals...maybe Scotland WOULD make it :D

CJ_covblaze

If they want 48 teams, why not just do that and have 8 groups of 6 rather than 4? Top two go onto knockout as normal.

You get to see your team play at least 5 times, more money for FIFA, more fans able to see their team at the finals...maybe Scotland WOULD make it :D

This would be the better way of doing it if they are going to go bigger. I would've rather had 4 groups of 6 with 2 going through from each in the summer and allow slightly bigger squads. At least we would've gone out in the Quarters rather than the R16 :D

Gazolba

<snip>
Agree. Why would anyone travel half-way around the world to watch one game, get knocked out and then go home?

CJ_covblaze

That's it. It's altered slightly from what I can tell compared to the original idea. Complicated still!

Users who are viewing this thread