6,951 (1 Viewer)

Tommo72

It's a bad habit that 6,000 of us cannot kick for some reason.

Entertainment is in eye of the beholder with this, for league 4 football, what standard can we expect, I saw cov utd earlier in the year and whilst they play well, I didn't find it entertaining at the standard thy are currently playing at. For some, I guess, league 1 & now 2 are not the standard people want to pay for.

For me, the money thing has always been an excuse, apologies if I offend but the majority who go, are not exactly well off, but have enough to pay for the games and pies and beer, it's down to that entertainment/ownership, whatever factor they want to choose which stops them, it is not a money issue.
The only way to solve it is to make it a winning formula on the pitch and off the pitch, the club are competing for people's disposable income so it has to make it easy for them to take that money from people. It's not by accident that Disney have a merchandise shop after the ride, club just need the commercial clowns they've had for years removing and replacing with fresh ideas. This to me, is where the fans forums and engagements should be a huge part of enhancing the club.

Brilliant post.

Those 1200/1300 who travel to Cambridge next week are even more so and I'll be one of them...

I still wake up on a Sat morning with that hope and optimism I felt 17 Years ago when we were a struggling top flight team.....being a Cov fan has never been about success and glory or none of us would still be here...

Adge

But if you think that through lowering prices on the day means lowering prices in advance which means lowering season ticket prices. That then means we are generating less ticket revenues - we've seen in the past that lowering prices doesn't equate to the required rise in attendance to maintain the same level of revenue.

So yes they can lower the prices but then we have less money and the budget Robins has gets cut. Performances get worse, people stop going, repeat until we're playing Sphinx at the Butts.
Lowering prices does not mean more fans in theory, you are correct. A walk up price of maybe £20 would be a better option all round-would more likely appeal to the casual fan whereas £26 or whatever it is now wouldn't as much. £20 I doubt would also not penalise season ticket holders etc as they pay on average £12-13 per match over the season?

Sba180

The weather may have put a few off too. Had forecast thunder and lightning and potential downpours.

Have to say though that Port Vale and their non football would put many a paying customer off.
Exactly, nothing to do with our owners not giving two fucks about the club, the team, the fans or having any ambition whatsoever.....it was down to the weather.

What a gonad

pusbccfc

I agree with it being too expensive. The on the day price is ridiculous.

However, the club could open the gates Tuesday night for free and no more than 15,000 would turn up.

ccfcway

6,851 for a Saturday home league game. We had an average home attendance for league games of 19,000 in the season SISU arrived.

Truely depressing, even with the win, the place was very quiet yesterday.

The match day experience is now very flat and you can noticeably see the decline in interest from many that are left. 2 guys next to me yesterday didn't even cheer when we scored

Liquid Gold

Truely depressing, even with the win, the place was very quiet yesterday.

The match day experience is now very flat and you can noticeably see the decline in interest from many that are left. 2 guys next to me yesterday didn't even cheer when we scored
Few lads near me were complaining the whole first half and then disappeared at half time.

Cov kid 55

Exactly, nothing to do with our owners not giving two fucks about the club, the team, the fans or having any ambition whatsoever.....it was down to the weather.

What a gonad
Hahahaha! Calling the gonad!! Come on Otis, I'm dying for your response! HTB obviously doesn't know what a venerated member of the community you are!!

Cov kid 55

Widdrington Road., Played footie on the rec opposite Lydgate Road most days, tennis, lawn and hardcourt in the well bloomed tennis courts there. Played another type of game when older in those tennis courts too but specifics are not for divulging on here !!
I remember Widdrington Road, and of course, living on Lydgate road, I spent all my time on the rec, football in the winter, cricket in the summer. I'm a bit younger than you, so you may have been one of the big boys I used to nutmeg! I left in 1969 when I was 14, so had all the fun of the Jimmy Hill years and the first couple of years in Div 1. We moved to Norfolk, and now I'm up near Newcastle, no relatives/friends in the City now, so I rarely get down. When I do, I always enjoy trailing round my old haunts. I get to quite a lot of away games, adding a few firsts to my list this year! You still in the City?

Grendel

Why should the fans care when the owners
do not?
Support for a club is about an identity which has been eroded by vermin.

letsallsingtogether

What a gonad
Funny was only raining on Coventry?

torchomatic

weirdos on social media laughing and being happy at attendence being low and then you see sky blue fan in their profile bio.......

There are loads of twats like that both on social media and on here. They seem to revel in anything negative regarding the club.

EDIT: and on the CT site too, of course.

Last edited:

ccfcway

You do wonder why such people even make the effort to turn up.

They will be the next lot to drop off. For a few of those who are left, its just a habit.

There are likely to only be a few thousand of us who still have that excited feeling when walking up to the ground on match days.

fernandopartridge

Brilliant post.

Those 1200/1300 who travel to Cambridge next week are even more so and I'll be one of them...

I still wake up on a Sat morning with that hope and optimism I felt 17 Years ago when we were a struggling top flight team.....being a Cov fan has never been about success and glory or none of us would still be here...

Indeed, the re-writers of history make out that we were playing the big 5 every week and beating them. Rather than the reality which was the odd win against a big team, but a fair few heavy defeats. We didn't even manage to beat Villa until 1988.

shmmeee

Indeed, the re-writers of history make out that we were playing the big 5 every week and beating them. Rather than the reality which was the odd win against a big team, but a fair few heavy defeats. We didn't even manage to beat Villa until 1988.

Didn’t beat them away until 1997.

Still, Id take that over the shit of the last few years.

Anyway, your point is right. It’s like those that remember HR as some wall of noise fortress, when in fact the atmosphere was as bad as the Ricoh on its worst day most of the time.

Sky Blue Harry H

Didn’t beat them away until 1997.

Still, Id take that over the shit of the last few years.

Anyway, your point is right. It’s like those that remember HR as some wall of noise fortress, when in fact the atmosphere was as bad as the Ricoh on its worst day most of the time.

Thanks Shmmeee - I'd recorded the 1997 game and not got round to watching it yet, now you've ruined it for me by telling me the result!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just as a rough rule of thumb if the club budget for 9000 average attendance but they achieve 8000 that's going to cost them over the season around £200k net of VAT. That of course knocks on to the SCMP budget which would mean 120k less to spend on eligible players. At worst the need to offload players in January to stay within the SCMP budget

Income could be made up by other means (mainly player sales) but I would think on those crowd numbers there would be little to share on the F&B, parking etc after costs deducted and you might find less advertising and shop sales than budgeted for also. Lower crowds will affect other incomes too. However with a bit of success on the pitch the reverse is true also - bigger than budgeted crowds means more primary and secondary income. All depends on the team performance. The worry is that now and historically that performance is hard to rely on, its inconsistent at best

The trouble is the lower the crowds at the start the greater the pressure to improve just to hit the budget as the season goes on. Right now every league game till the end of season needs to hit 9045 to hit season average of 9000. If we only average 8000 for next 10 home league games then the 2nd half of the season we will need to average 10000 per game just to hit 9000 overall average for the season. Effectively just to stand still.

Even now to get to average crowd of 15000 this season we need 15900 in the ground every game that is left in the league. The odd game with 15000 though welcome is not going to make massive impacts if the earlier games are below expectation.

Present average is 8682 after 3 games

Last edited:

ccfcway

I will happily take a dire 1-0 win every day of the week, but you can sense that some of the fans we have left want more than that (in terms of entertainment).

If performances like the last few continue, whatever the results, we are really going to struggle getting to where we should be as a team in a city of over 300,000

oucho

Just as a rough rule of thumb if the club budget for 9000 average attendance but they achieve 8000 that's going to cost them over the season around £200k net of VAT. That of course knocks on to the SCMP budget which would mean 120k less to spend on eligible players. At worst the need to offload players in January to stay within the SCMP budget

Income could be made up by other means (mainly player sales) but I would think on those crowd numbers there would be little to share on the F&B, parking etc after costs deducted and you might find less advertising and shop sales than budgeted for also. Lower crowds will affect other incomes too. However with a bit of success on the pitch the reverse is true also - bigger than budgeted crowds means more primary and secondary income. All depends on the team performance. The worry is that now and historically that performance is hard to rely on, its inconsistent at best

The trouble is the lower the crowds at the start the greater the pressure to improve just to hit the budget as the season goes on. Right now every league game till the end of season needs to hit 9045 to hit season average of 9000. If we only average 8000 for next 10 home league games then the 2nd half of the season we will need to average 10000 per game just to hit 9000 overall average for the season. Effectively just to stand still.

Even now to get to average crowd of 15000 this season we need 15900 in the ground every game that is left in the league. The odd game with 15000 though welcome is not going to make massive impacts if the earlier games are below expectation.

Present average is 8682 after 3 games
Is there anything to suggest that the club has set a target of 9000 average?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just to put the averages in to perspective the only teams to average over 9000 attendance in League 2 in recent seasons are as follows

2012/13 Bradford 10322
2013/14 Portsmouth 15461
2014/15 Portsmouth 15242
2015/16 Portsmouth 16391
2016/17 Portsmouth 16823 & Plymouth 9652

I don't know what the travelling fans were for Portsmouth but I would think sizeable, probably greater in number than our own as good as it is, so even with that no other teams got over 9000 average (some grounds not big enough of course)

If the club are aiming for 9000 average then that should be achievable with some success on the pitch and is at the top end of L2 expectations.
Presently at 8682 we have the best average this season

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Is there anything to suggest that the club has set a target of 9000 average?

Just used it as a start point but a number of people I have talked to suggested it was around that. The principle works which ever number you pick. The League 2 stats seem to suggest that for most clubs (excluding Pompey) that's the top end of attendances and it would be reasonable to assume CCFC are the biggest draw for attendances this season

Users who are viewing this thread