6 more signings (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Do you think? With current players and if G Thomas stays and Reid I think we've enough it's a man to lead the line we're short on in my eyes not players to play behind him.
Beavon has made a career playing a lone man but I'd prefer a 6'2+ man in that role.
Plus if he does opt to leave we desperately need a figure head at the top. Kwame Thomas can play the central role but I'm not so sure he's got the experience to play the ball winning target man. I see him as more of a ball carrying player with pace than a lump up top.
Options so far are if we play 4231.

--G Thomas----McNulty----K Thomas--
----------------Beavon----------------

--G Thomas----McNulty-----K Reid--

--J Jones-----McNulty-----K Thomas--

The only names guaranteed so far is JJ, Kwame Thomas, McNulty, and possibly Beavon and Reid.
George is still weighing up his options.
A big target mans a must for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I forgot McNulty can play in the hole and I was counting G Thomas as a new signing.

I just get a feeling those hoping Robins will bring in a big lump up front are going to be disappointed.

steve82

Yeah I forgot McNulty can play in the hole and I was counting G Thomas as a new signing.

I just get a feeling those hoping Robins will bring in a big lump up front are going to be disappointed.

I hope we do, I listened to a interview with Paul cook the Portsmouth manager and he said how difficult teams made it for them to play as you could argue they were the biggest game in the league... playing in front of 18k. Teams will sit back and choke our play at home.
Away on poor pitches it will be difficult to play against teams too on the deck so with that in mind you need a plan b and c to break them teams down, it's what good sides do and good sides win games and promotion.

stupot07

Yeah I agree he's far better utilised in a more central role but reports are McNulty plays better in behind in a 10 role and I think he said in his interview he likes to arrive late in the box so likely preference will be for McNulty in that role.
Kwame has skill and pace with some physicality and seems to be able to carry the ball which was something we was struggling in last year with Reid, the year before we had Murphy.
This side is the same currently unless one comes in or Reid is rejuvenated.

Not getting at you Steve, but I thought K Thomas looked completely lost and out of his depth on the wing and very much like a square peg in a round hole. I would be v concerned of we went into the season with him on the left wing. He looked a threat up front, so I expect him to be a strike option from the bench rather than a regular starter. I didn't see any ball carrying abilities ala Murphy, if I'm being honest.

On a side, I thought Jones looked far better when played on the left. I would expect him to be regular starter on the left wing next season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

Not getting at you Steve, but I thought K Thomas looked completely lost and out of his depth on the wing and very much like a square peg in a round hole. I would be v concerned of we went into the season with him on the left wing. He looked a threat up front, so I expect him to be a strike option from the bench rather than a regular starter. I didn't see any ball carrying abilities ala Murphy, if I'm being honest.

On a side, I thought Jones looked far better when played on the left. I would expect him to be regular starter on the left wing next season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Completely agree with you, it's not a position I'd like to see him play regularly and he's not natural there just I thought he shown some ability to move forward with the ball at feet and has a change of pace, just basing the line up on what current options we have.

So many places still to fill for the no 1 starting spots in my eyes. JJ may develop more over the summer to cli one of them spots.

StevieM

I think that Kwame (when he came back into the side after his injury) had the shit kicked out of him by the opposition and all credit to him, he got back up and didn't look intimidated at all.
I reckon that this pre season he needs to do some work with the weights to bulk out a bit and he could be a contender?

covcity4life

i like jones,said that for a long time. i hope this season he becomes a firm favourite with everyone. he has the potential.

covcity4life

I think that Kwame (when he came back into the side after his injury) had the shit kicked out of him by the opposition and all credit to him, he got back up and didn't look intimidated at all.
I reckon that this pre season he needs to do some work with the weights to bulk out a bit and he could be a contender?

backheel goal was sick.still dont know how he got power on it. must have beena deflection too?!!

a case for mulder and scully

Polar

Yeah I thought that too...I'm not sure how good Jones is on his weaker right foot - so when we play him in RM/RW, all defenders have to do to stop him is watch for him cutting onto that stronger left foot. Force him down the sides and then he has to turn back or produce a poor weak footed cross. On the left he seemed to get a lot closer to goal and went close a few times.

I really like the kid - he's enthusiastic, and he desperately wants to prove himself. I can't believe how little a look-in he got last year.

dongonzalos

Is this all happening because without SISU been prepared to speculate to accumulate. Have we finally found our financial level?
Is division 4 the place where when we offer someone a contract they sign immediately as we are the biggest club paying the best wage. Playing in the best stadium?

skybluedan

If we could get a powerhouse up front for me akinde would be my first choice, wonder how much he would cost?

woody11462

Love to see us spend a little and get Akinde from Barnet. Big, strong and mobile. Would create plenty of space for a second forward and could play as a lone striker in Robin's favoured 4-2-3-1

steve82

If we could get a powerhouse up front for me akinde would be my first choice, wonder how much he would cost?

Love to see us spend a little and get Akinde from Barnet. Big, strong and mobile. Would create plenty of space for a second forward and could play as a lone striker in Robin's favoured 4-2-3-1

I wouldn't actually, if we had money to spend I'd buy James Collins.
Yes john akinde scored plenty of goals the last few seasons but a large chunk were penalties and his style of play is very lazy and cumbersome.
With James Collins your getting a more robust target man who still get goals and from set pieces so I'd say would give better value for money.
All a matter of opinion tho

skybluedan

I wouldn't actually, if we had money to spend I'd buy James Collins.
Yes john akinde scored plenty of goals the last few seasons but a large chunk were penalties and his style of play is very lazy and cumbersome.
With James Collins your getting a more robust target man who still get goals and from set pieces so I'd say would give better value for money.
All a matter of opinion tho

Must admit I do like Collins as well, and because a local would suit and maybe have more fire in his belly

skyblue025

The big lad who played up front for Cambridge tore us apart in the cup. Can't remember his name or be arsed to look it up but he was a beast. No one has mentioned Akinfenwa yet either.

Polar

The big lad who played up front for Cambridge tore us apart in the cup. Can't remember his name or be arsed to look it up but he was a beast. No one has mentioned Akinfenwa yet either.

Ikpeazu is the big guy at Cambridge, I think. Him and Luke Berry are a lethal setup.

And Akinfenwa would definately do a job....we really struggled against him in that cup game. I think he signed a one year contract with wycombe last summer, so I wonder if he is looking for a club or possibly retiring this year....

I can see it now: Akinfenwa joins Coventry: because every army needs a tank!

Astute

I enjoy sitting back and reading on here how good AND shit the player is.

Good because of being an ex Championship player and captain of the Division 4 champions.

Shit because was shit in the Championship and a few months older than playing just about every game as captain as the team who are Division 4 champions :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread