60's (1 Viewer)

Hippo

Hi I have just joined. Just want to hear from all of you who were there in the 60's

dutchman

Hi I have just joined. Just want to hear from all of you who were there in the 60's

I was, up until the promotion game against Wolves. That's when the "fairweather friends" turned up, many of whom I'd never seen before at Highfield Road. Also the hooligan element raised its head for the first time at that game.

Hippo

I was, up until the promotion game against Wolves. That's when the "fairweather friends" turned up, many of whom I'd never seen before at Highfield Road. Also the hooligan element raised its head for the first time at that game.
Hi, I moved away from Coventry in 1971. Must have rose coloured specs. I don't remember any crowd problems up to that point.
I do recall sitting in the stands with fans from opposing teams and having a laugh.

dutchman

Ripping the shirt off a visiting supporter's back would probably be considered trivial today but at the time it was quite shocking. Also remember a crooked groundman jamming the turnstile with his knee so that the club didn't receive the money I paid for admission.

Hippo

New England Song

Hi Hippo yes i was there in the 60's.

Hi, Did you sing the Sky Blue Song. I have to admit I did.

Now's your chance to sing again.

I have been involved in a very small way with the new England Song for the World Cup, " Let's Hear it England" It features 11 top soccer commentators from BBC, ITV, ESPN & SKY.

It will be available in April. You can hear a clip on www.commentatorsunited.com

TheSnoz

1960s, Hudson, Jimmy Hill, Rees, etc etc, fun football. A club on the up that always listened to their fans. Who turned up in numbers. It slowly started to go wrong when Hill left.

dutchman

Terry Bly

Sam's Soups

Radio Sky Blue

Sky blue invalid carriages parked in front of the Sky Blue stand

Freezing to death on Spion Kop in the winter

5-1 victory over Preston North End

England vs Romania (under 22 match at Highfield Road). Bill Glazier in goal for England

The Honeycombs performing their latest hit live in front of the Main stand.

The Saturday Pink

The Coventry Express (newspaper)

DiStefano's fish and chip shop in Far Gosford Street

Last edited:

Hippo

Terry Bly scored a hat trick on his debut didn't he?

Did George Hudson do that too?

Please let me get away with the following plug.

I am in the choir on the new England song, "Let's Hear it England". Go on support an old Coventry Kid and download a copy when it's released.:eek:

The brand new England football song featuring eleven leading television commentators will be released on Monday 12<SUP>th</SUP> April 2010 – two months to the day before England’s first World Cup match.

The song will be raising funds for the Prince’s Trust.

<O:p
Let's Hear it England will be available to buy as a download from through major online retailers like iTunes, raising money to help give disadvantaged youngsters the chance of a better life.

Each of the starting XI commentators has voiced specially recorded commentary to put the country and the team in a positive frame of mind for South Africa.

The track also features the Cotswold Male Voice Choir, which is based in <ST1:pCheltenham. In 2008, the choir was asked to perform for England’s rugby fans on their way to Twickenham, and it proved so popular, the choir was invited back for the Six Nations in 2009.

Take a look at
www.commentatorsunited.com

Last edited:

Hippo

Let's Hear it England

The song was released today. I got a copy it's really good. Download it from ITunes, Ammazon, Tesco, Play.com
:wave:

Renard

I was there in the 60s travelling to FA Cup at the Villa it rained all day.
Hearing George Curtis`s leg breaking at Notts forest. Travelling to Bury where it was all City Fans.
Best game beating the Wolves and curtis had Dougan in his pocket

Stoppercurtis

Didn't realize that here were that many of us around. Still were not that old. Apart from George Hudson the thing I remember most about the 60's was the "Sky Blue Express" that use to take us to all away matches. The camaraderie was unbelievable.

They say things always look better went you look back. But they were happy days with JH at the helm we thought we could do anything.

Stopper

Users who are viewing this thread