A Bit Wrong? (1 Viewer)

Otis

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-slammed-cowards-deliberately-running-7429085

The police hit the dog at high speed to "kill it instantly" because it was on the road.

I understand they have to look after other motorists, but surely if they closed the road for 10 minutes to catch the dog. It says it bit an officer, but I am pretty sure the poor thing would be petrified.
When they say 'instantly' I think they mean, run over it, reverse back over it and run it over again.

lewys33

Would be interesting to see what was said if they didn't do it and someone's family member(s) were killed.

Nick

Administrator
Would be interesting to see what was said if they didn't do it and someone's family member(s) were killed.

I know they can't just leave a dog running about, but surely they could have closed the road for a bit while they caught it like they would do if it was a cow or something? It is a little ish dog, just pick it up or tazer it or something. Might not be kind to Tazer it but it is temporary and isn't the same as running it over.

The police should be able to stop people with knives etc, but they can't restrain a dog?

Plenty of other options.

lewys33

I know they can't just leave a dog running about, but surely they could have closed the road for a bit while they caught it like they would do if it was a cow or something? It is a little dog, just pick it up or tazer it or something. Might not be kind to Tazer it but it is temporary and isn't the same as running it over.

Plenty of other options.

Yh I just realised how my comment sounded. I think they could have tried other options as oppose to just doing that.

Nick

Administrator
Yh I just realised how my comment sounded. I think they could have tried other options as oppose to just doing that.

It made sense. I understand that they can't have a dog making lorries swerve at night as if a lorry swerves and hits a car it is game over.

It is just there are more options to deal with it.

What would they have done if it was a drunk bloke running around and they couldn't catch him?

olderskyblue

I was stuck on the M1 for quite awhile a few years ago because of a pig that had got onto the motorway. The police eventually got it sorted, without killing it... (although I think it was put down later)

Lots of pig jokes ensued....

Nick

Administrator
I was stuck on the M1 for quite awhile a few years ago because of a pig that had got onto the motorway. The police eventually got it sorted, without killing it... (although I think it was put down later)

Lots of pig jokes ensued....

Glad they managed to save it's bacon.

A pig would be harder as you probably couldn't just lift that up.

If the dog was close enough to them, just pin it down.

olderskyblue

Glad they managed to save it's bacon.

A pig would be harder as you probably couldn't just lift that up.

If the dog was close enough to them, just pin it down.

Not as easy to catch a dog maybe, but I agree, surely there was an alternative method.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Amazingly I saw a post on Facebook from someone who had recently joined the police saying how much of a travesty it was for the Police and that soon they won't be able to do their job without being investigated for breathing.

I've compiled a reply including a nice melody of some of the comments on here, and I'm glad there is mostly a consensus.

It was a moronic decision taken without consideration, it just sounds as if they couldn't be bothered to do anything else. I mean, if they close roads because of accidents, why can't they close one to prevent one?

There were other suitable and realistic options that wouldn't have involved the killing of an animal or any motorists.

Users who are viewing this thread