A female's perspective on some of our fans (1 Viewer)

oucho

Took the mrs on Saturday, we are/were also planning to go to Cambridge a week on Sat and Luton in a few weeks' time. She seemed uncomfortable and distracted for much of the second half and on the way home she said she didn't want to go to Cambridge or Luton any more, had changed her mind. I'l lstill be going but she's not coming to another game until further notice now.

I let her calm down a bit as something had obviously gone down, but knowing her it is best to let her come out with it. Anyway, yesterday she tells me that during half time, when we were walking to the bar in the concourse with a few mates, a bloke behind her had grabbed her by the hips and "banged" her on the bum with his groin....then a few minutes later another bloke had grabbed her on the bum while were were having a few drinks.

She said that this sort of thing can be common in bars etc but she didn't say anything in case it kicked off and someone got punched (funnily enough some of the lads we were drinking with at half time were involved in the station scuffle, including the lad who bought me a pint who can be seen on the video getting punched), but I said to her that's not the point, me and the lads would have handled the situation by getting those two cretins chucked out. Yes it's up to her to call these people out (I obviously had no idea) if nobody else including stewards or police notice, but it's 2017 FFS, why can't people keep their hands to themselves??

She did say to me that she thought there was a rough edge on Sat that she hadn't seen before but it's a shame that a sometime fan has been put off from going to upcoming games due to the actions of some morons. If I see a dickhead doing that in future I won't hold back TBH

superskyblue

Sorry to hear that happened Oucho - clearly that's unacceptable. Going to the football should be an activity that is open to everybody but sometimes it doesn't feel like that. Last year I heard homophobic abuse at Charlton and the year before racism at the Ricoh. The only way to stamp it out is to report to stewards or police. But totally understand that you Mrs wouldn't have wanted to do that in the circumstances, I don't blame her to be honest.

Hope she decides she wants to go to the football again at some point - it really is the small minority we're talking about.

Grendel

To we get a different breed of fan attend away games?

clint van damme

Took the mrs on Saturday, we are/were also planning to go to Cambridge a week on Sat and Luton in a few weeks' time. She seemed uncomfortable and distracted for much of the second half and on the way home she said she didn't want to go to Cambridge or Luton any more, had changed her mind. I'l lstill be going but she's not coming to another game until further notice now.

I let her calm down a bit as something had obviously gone down, but knowing her it is best to let her come out with it. Anyway, yesterday she tells me that during half time, when we were walking to the bar in the concourse with a few mates, a bloke behind her had grabbed her by the hips and "banged" her on the bum with his groin....then a few minutes later another bloke had grabbed her on the bum while were were having a few drinks.

She said that this sort of thing can be common in bars etc but she didn't say anything in case it kicked off and someone got punched (funnily enough some of the lads we were drinking with at half time were involved in the station scuffle, including the lad who bought me a pint who can be seen on the video getting punched), but I said to her that's not the point, me and the lads would have handled the situation by getting those two cretins chucked out. Yes it's up to her to call these people out (I obviously had no idea) if nobody else including stewards or police notice, but it's 2017 FFS, why can't people keep their hands to themselves??

She did say to me that she thought there was a rough edge on Sat that she hadn't seen before but it's a shame that a sometime fan has been put off from going to upcoming games due to the actions of some morons. If I see a dickhead doing that in future I won't hold back TBH

disgusting behaviour.

rybccfc

I had a situation a couple of years ago at scunthorpe when some idiots were pissed and jumping into each other and knocked me and my wife flying knocking her to the ground where she banged her head on the chair...... but instead of acting like decent human beings when i asked them what the "flip" they thought they were doing instead of apologising they proceeded to try and start on me instead. Some real groups of assholes within our fanbase they really need sorting out. Im sorry to hear what happened to your wife its disgusting that crap like this still happens. Hope you convince her to go again. Might struggle withe the shite on the pitch tho

oucho

I think that the higher than average away crowd included a fair few knuckle draggers that you do not see at most away games. Go to the Ricoh and such people are a far smaller proportion of the overall crowd.

Anyway it's a shame because it was a nice shared interest for us; the day out was a nice one with lunch in Chesterfield town, a potter round the market, few beers with friends in the pub pre-match and a sing song in the ground. Shame that there are people who don't give a toss about someone else's enjoyment and think it's OK/funny to grope a woman at a game...they probably sneered at her with their mates behind our backs if they are the kind of reptiles I think they are.

Qwerty70

My missus won't go anymore, this was following Oxford away last year. Our end seemed to be full of complete morons who had gone on the train for a drinking session and after the three early goals the atmosphere was toxic.
I didn't go Saturday because I guessed the green street brigade would be out again and I think I made the right choice.
Our fans have become more aggressive and Moronic over the last few years, we used to have an away support I was proud to be part of but not anymore.
I'll be @ some of the harder to reach grounds this year, the support will be brilliant and I'll be able to enjoy a beer with fans who know how to enjoy a game of football without being a moron!
I guess it's easy to see link between relegations and a more aggressive fan base.

Nick

Administrator
Shocking and embarrassing.

Nothing to excuse that sort of thing at all, it's a shame it couldn't have been dealt with at the time.

Would you recognise them again?

AFCCOVENTRY

Sorry to hear what happened to your mrs.

It's totally unacceptable. I would say these type of scum are just low life who really are disrespectful human beings. There's no place for it at our club let alone in society.

These idiots really need to be reported and banned.

oucho

Nothing to excuse that sort of thing at all, it's a shame it couldn't have been dealt with at the time.

Didn't see them. The galling thing is that when she told me, I was like "you should have told me or reported them", and her view was "no, it would have caused a fight, someone would have got punched", when I said "no it wouldn't, it would be dealt with" she pointed me towards the station video where you can clearly see my mate being punched in the face at the end of the video as part of a fracas that he had no part in starting.

Grendel

It's not that surprising is it? Fights and abuse at train stations, molestation, verbal abuse st the players. It seems a reasonably large element of away fans adopt the law of the jungle. Some banning orders needed.

oucho

My missus won't go anymore, this was following Oxford away last year. Our end seemed to be full of complete morons who had gone on the train for a drinking session and after the three early goals the atmosphere was toxic.
I didn't go Saturday because I guessed the green street brigade would be out again and I think I made the right choice.
Our fans have become more aggressive and Moronic over the last few years, we used to have an away support I was proud to be part of but not anymore.
I'll be @ some of the harder to reach grounds this year, the support will be brilliant and I'll be able to enjoy a beer with fans who know how to enjoy a game of football without being a moron!
I guess it's easy to see link between relegations and a more aggressive fan base.
A mate of mine was with his wife at the Sheffield United game during the protest, when they both made comments critical of the pitch invaders, a similar bloke to those described above / those in TF's face at the station went ballistic and called them all the names under the sun, after which she simply burst into tears. Nice people.

jimmyhillsfanclub

It's not that surprising is it? Fights and abuse at train stations, molestation, verbal abuse st the players. It seems a reasonably large element of away fans adopt the law of the jungle. Some banning orders needed.

No....not having that pal.....that paints too bleak a picture of the SBA on the road.

better days

There were two young scumbags behind me who took the seats of a bloke with his young son at HT and wouldn't move
One of them was intimidating a bloke in his 60's who remonstrated with him. I was with my Mrs who's scared of everything so I couldn't say anything or she'd have flipped. It's only a few but they are low lifes

Nick

Administrator
Didn't see them. The galling thing is that when she told me, I was like "you should have told me or reported them", and her view was "no, it would have caused a fight, someone would have got punched", when I said "no it wouldn't, it would be dealt with" she pointed me towards the station video where you can clearly see my mate being punched in the face at the end of the video as part of a fracas that he had no part in starting.

With Fisher being abused it divides opinion, I think everybody would agree about this though if people had known what had happened so it's different to the train stuff.

I know it's a bit late now using hindsight, but hopefully it wont put her off for the future as you know about it now too and could try to steer clear of the neanderthals and get them kicked out if anything did happen.

eastwoodsdustman

Really sorry that your other half had to put up with this Oucho. if she enjoys the football then she shouldn't let sa few thick pricks stop her from going in the future.
I said on the Fisher thread about some of our 'fans' on Saturday. There was a real element of pissed up chavs (not kids btw these were middle aged blokes) at the game on Saturday and the atmosphere towards the end was just horrible. Hopefully they will have been so pissed off that they stay away( until we start climbing the table again).

Ashdown

Sadly for me, this is starting to reflect the world we live in, it's not just a football thing, these morons when drunk or drugged will do what they like. There is very little discipline these days, it begins with idiotic parents and then runs through schools and even to the police and their softly softly handling.

When I was a lad we had respect for parents, teachers and the law. There was also very few drugs available and almost nobody carried weapons either !

I like a good craic with the lads and the atmosphere at football but find myself turning more to Rugby as it's a solid sport not watched generally by people who can't handle their ale !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Sadly there was a sizeable element, More dicks than I usually see away from home. Maybe it was because it's an easy place to get to on the train for a piss up?

Fair enough......like the man in the orthopedic shoe, I stand corrected...... I wasn't there saturday.

.....As you were then Grendel.

Moff

To be fair G, you cant tar everyone or the majority because of the actions of a few.

letsallsingtogether

No because we used to take our two nieces up the Ricoh.
The guy in front kept turning around and talking to one of them, when I realised what was going on I asked him to turn around and watch the game.
Funny how he was backed up by his own daughter who must have been in her 20s, and his own mates for asking a 14yr old for her address and phone number.
Takes all kinds the football community is no differant then the one you live in.

clint van damme

The guy in front kept turning around and talking to one of them, when I realised what was going on I asked him to turn around and watch the game.
Funny how he was backed up by his own daughter who must have been in her 20s, and his own mates for asking a 14yr old for her address and phone number.
Takes all kinds the football community is no differant then the one you live in.

for fucks sake. Surprised you didn't lamp him. c**t should be on the sex offenders register.

Liquid Gold

Fucking cretins. Who thinks that is an acceptable thing to do.

There is definitely something brewing with our fans and, as Ashdown intimated, it's not just little chavs getting up to no good. At Yeovil there was a bunch of blokes in their 50s who were throwing their weight around and trying to intimidate people. Its getting to the point where I almost expect something to kick off now, especially at away games. It's a shame because the vast majority of the SBA are decent people and I've met some decent folk all around the country but the idiotic minority seem to be getting either larger or more brazen.

I know its difficult to say Oucho but try and encourage her to attend again and hang out with your mates and enjoy the day, let her know that there are security people there to protect the law abiding fan and if anything of the like happened again it would be dealt with.

There is not much that could take me away from the city but if my girlfriend felt too physically intimidated to go then that would be it for me.

Nick

Administrator

Seriously? Where abouts was that?

Thankfully not had anything like that, but I reckon if you were the row above and he was below if you were to catch them clean they would go back a few rows. Always wary about that sort of thing with my daughter and always wonder whether people are just friendly or strange, but asking for number and address would be different and wouldn't bother letting the stewards know.

The Reverend Skyblue

There's some dodgy tales on here. Some men are pathetic once they have had three lager shandy's, just cant handle it and they seem to think every female on the planet suddenly wants to sleep with him.
Oucho what happened seems awful and I hope your good lady doesn't let these morons win and stop going. 99% of us are decent human beings who even after a drink can still be polite and act accordingly, but if something like this happens it needs reporting so they get punished , sexual molestation would look good on their CV's and they can kiss goodbye not only to their current job, as they will be run out of the company somehow, but any future job applications, they get what they deserve.

I have a low threshold myself as I know if someone touched my Mrs they can guarantee themselves a two week stay in critical care, so she would have done what your wife did and not mentioned it till later. I'm just wondering could she identify them from CCTV if she goes to the police.
We need to put these scum behind bars

RoboCCFC90

Appalling behaviour.

On Saturday, prior to the game kicking off, I did notice there were many fans in attendance at Chesterfield and Yeovil who I'd never seen before, now this is not uncommon, perhaps just a coincidence, but with fans 'staying away from the Ricoh' for home fixtures, you're likely to see an increase of away fans, and potentially a minority of them being morons, during away fixtures.

Hopefully Mrs Oucho will feel better and will join you for future games.

The Reverend Skyblue

This sounds horrific and very worrying letsallsingtogether. I think I could end up in prison if someone old asked my daughter for her phone number. I hope you see him again and take issue with him

Nick

Administrator
Appalling behaviour.

On Saturday, prior to the game kicking off, I did notice there were many fans in attendance at Chesterfield and Yeovil who I'd never seen before, now this is not uncommon, perhaps just a coincidence, but with fans 'staying away from the Ricoh' for home fixtures, you're likely to see an increase of away fans, and potentially a minority of them being morons, during away fixtures.

Hopefully Mrs Oucho will feel better and will join you for future games.

Agreed, this is the sort of thing that's way above any sort of football politics and has no place at all.

Qwerty70

Liquid Gold your post is spot on.
I have been a regular attendee of away games since the early 90s and have probably over 300 trips on the clock.
Over the last couple of years our fans have become more aggessive and abusive of opposition, stewards, police and worse of all 'us'. @ Oxford a drunk lad was pushed into a family group by his drunk mates and when the Dad objected he got turned upon.
The nearer the away game the worse it seems to be, I had great trips last year to Bolton, Bristol Rovers etc and despite the awful results the support was good and all seemed to enjoy a beer whilst behaving like decent people do.
We have a growing 'chav' element who behave as they like and are backed up their group. Maybe I'm simply getting old as now in late 40's but our away fans definitely changed over the last couple of years.
I don't do as many away games as I used to because I don't enjoy it as much. I like a beer but I have never persistently sworn in front of children or thrown beer on people who are standing around me!
I guess I am getting old :-(

Users who are viewing this thread