A female's perspective on some of our fans (1 Viewer)

Macca

Feral scumbags who have missed a couple of stages in the evolutionary process. The same people that the moment any handy bunch of blokes from the opposition turn up have their running shoes on. Couldn't pay me to go to an away game at the moment

ajsccfc

Liquid Gold qualifies for the biggest moron of the century award with this one. Go seek help, you utter cretin.

9784871876896-uk-300.jpg

theferret

Some pretty depressing stories on here. I have noticed a change over the last couple of seasons, but I'm not sure it is as dramatic as some are saying. There is nothing I have seen recently that I haven't witnessed many times over the years - but it does seem to be becoming more frequent. Oxford and Northampton last season were pretty toxic. On Saturday there was a group of blokes who nearly came to blows, something about being in the wrong seats, sad to witness.

I don't think it's the younger block 14 types that are the problem. They might play up and act like idiots at times, but I don't find them intimidating. When you have large groups of blokes in their 40s and 50s turning on their own supporters, that's ugly.

That said, we're not alone. Both Notts County and Newport brought some proper arseholes in the first two home games this season. Watching Newport fans doing star jumps safely behind a line of police was up there with one of the saddest things I have seen.

Don't mind people having a few drinks (guilty as charged), don't mind bad language (it's not Morris Dancing) and don't mind a slight aggressive edge to the support if it is channeled in the right way (i.e. urging the team on and aimed at the pitch); but some of the stuff I've witnessed recently is making people uncomfortable. Nobody should feel intimidated by their own supporters.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Certainly was a lot of beak being consumed at several away games last season......

...don't fancy the sniffer dog idea much though......they may find my match-day hash pipe.:pompus:

Tommo72

Some pretty depressing stories on here. I have noticed a change over the last couple of seasons, but I'm not sure it is as dramatic as some are saying. There is nothing I have seen recently that I haven't witnessed many times over the years - but it does seem to be becoming more frequent. Oxford and Northampton last season were pretty toxic. On Saturday there was a group of blokes who nearly came to blows, something about being in the wrong seats, sad to witness.

I don't think it's the younger block 14 types that are the problem. They might play up and act like idiots at times, but I don't find them intimidating. When you have large groups of blokes in their 40s and 50s turning on their own supporters, that's ugly.

That said, we're not alone. Both Notts County and Newport brought some proper arseholes in the first two home games this season. Watching Newport fans doing star jumps safely behind a line of police was up there with one of the saddest things I have seen.

Don't mind people having a few drinks (guilty as charged), don't mind bad language (it's not Morris Dancing) and don't mind a slight aggressive edge to the support if it is channeled in the right way (i.e. urging the team on and aimed at the pitch); but some of the stuff I've witnessed recently is making people uncomfortable. Nobody should feel intimidated by their own supporters.

I've been watching Cov away for 25 years and it's always been there but to varying degrees depending on who we are playing etc.

I take my 13 year old lad these days rather than go with mates and I am always mindful/streetwise as to who we are with, pubs drinking at etc - prob like many.

Cov have always had this element whether it be the 'youth', the wannabes or the older lads (who generally either just encourage the younger ones or kick off away from the ground).

I'm not sure what the answer is but history tells me Cambridge and Luton amongst others will be toxic bearing in mind both these clubs have active hooligan firms.

oucho

Sky Blue Harry H

I've been watching Cov away for 25 years and it's always been there but to varying degrees depending on who we are playing etc.

I take my 13 year old lad these days rather than go with mates and I am always mindful/streetwise as to who we are with, pubs drinking at etc - prob like many.

Cov have always had this element whether it be the 'youth', the wannabes or the older lads (who generally either just encourage the younger ones or kick off away from the ground).

I'm not sure what the answer is but history tells me Cambridge and Luton amongst others will be toxic bearing in mind both these clubs have active hooligan firms.

Knew about Luton - also dislike some of Swindon's element, but didn't know Cambridge had a 'mob'?

Tommo72

Knew about Luton - also dislike some of Swindon's element, but didn't know Cambridge had a 'mob'?

Yeh Cambridge have grown into the scene over the years....they generally only kicked off with Peterborough but yes they do have a mob and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a game for them to show.

Joy Division

Simple way to stop most of it is to have sniffer dogs on the gate,stations and coach parks. It'd get all of the cokeheads away from the games which I think is a major cause. (i know a lot of teams will be playing 7 v 7 but hey ho)

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned much before, I always notice a large element of fans coked up at away games, especially the ones with big followings. MK Dons away a few years ago was was ridiculous for this.

I have no problem with people doing it but combined with football its a bizarre mix, just don't understand it.

DannyThomas_1981

I don't mind a little bad language but do object when it is persistent (especially) the 'f' and 'c' words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree with this. Would these idiots use the same kind of language around their own parents, kids or young relatives? Passion is fantastic at football and is part of what makes it a great game. But it seems to me that the knuckle dragging morons hide behind this 'passion' to indulge in behaviour that in any other circumstance would simply be viewed as being anti social/criminal. This is exactly why I would feel uncomfortable bringing women and children to games. Even at home. Football still accepts the minority acting in an anti social way far too easily.

As for the assault highlighted in this thread. Unfortunately nothing new. I remember the exact same thing happening to a girlfriend of mine nearly 20 years ago by a group of mobbed up lads. She also wasn't from Coventry and never attended a game again.

Sky Blue Harry H

Certainly was a lot of beak being consumed at several away games last season......

...don't fancy the sniffer dog idea much though......they may find my match-day hash pipe.:pompus:
Slightly off theme, but I have noticed a huge increase in the number of cars that have driven past me, or parked in Superstore carparks etc that absolutely reek of wacky baccy. If the drivers are doing this, how many are also coked up. scary to think they are on the road - just my perspective but if I see a group of young lads in a car (stereotyping alert!) I'm no longer even mildly surprised when the waft of hash quickly follows.

oucho

Slightly off theme, but I have noticed a huge increase in the number of cars that have driven past me, or parked in Superstore carparks etc that absolutely reek of wacky baccy. If the drivers are doing this, how many are also coked up. scary to think they are on the road - just my perspective but if I see a group of young lads in a car (stereotyping alert!) I'm no longer even mildly surprised when the waft of hash quickly follows.

I've noticed it being far more prevalent as well, though I work half the time in London and the rest of the time in Lincolnshire. It seems to basically go unchallenged and people can smoke it in public with impunity, police would argue they have reduced resources and therefore can't target use/possession as a priority. That being said, we did witness a flat above a shop in Chesterfield town centre getting raised by three police cars, coppers had opened the upstairs window revealing a huge stash of cannabis plants!

This happens at the Ricoh.
What, snorting them off he hand-dryers in the bogs?

Tommo72

Plenty on it on Saturday too....I tend to agree with this.

I still think there is a certain arrogance attached to our fan base, 'we're Coventry City, we do what we want' and 'fight fight wherever you may be, we are the boys from Coventry'.....

Yes I know other clubs fans do it too but it always makes me cringe, especially when some of them are knowhere to be seen when it does come on top or kick off...

better days

I've noticed it being far more prevalent as well, though I work half the time in London and the rest of the time in Lincolnshire. It seems to basically go unchallenged and people can smoke it in public with impunity, police would argue they have reduced resources and therefore can't target use/possession as a priority. That being said, we did witness a flat above a shop in Chesterfield town centre getting raised by three police cars, coppers had opened the upstairs window revealing a huge stash of cannabis plants!

What, snorting them off he hand-dryers in the bogs?

They do it off the back of their hands these days. Pretty depraved really
Explains the aggressive attitudes maybe

Ashdown

Completely agree, the edge and rivalry at football matches were what used to make it stand out from watching other sports. Cov seems to have always had a bit of a problem with unity though, I remember as a kid in the 80's Cov fans from the likes of Bell Green, Tile Hill and Canley etc kicking off with each other when in those days away from home, you needed everyone to be sticking together.

Ashdown

Yeah but the Cambridge ones will only throw text books and champagne corks at you !?

jimmyhillsfanclub

When did this happen? Which games? inside the ground?

Its rife mate.....its not like the old days with lads queuing to hoover up tidy lines with crisp tenner......its like snuff these days.....I've seen lads not even break stride whilst tooting a spoonful walking down the street.

Chav factory weed stinks these days.....a lot of it is sprayed with all sorts of shite to make it smell stronger & weigh more......wouldn't touch that shite myself....I'm a connoisseur....

JWC

Each to their own but I don't really get why you'd want to be coked up to go to the footy.
I never knew it was a thing until i saw it openly at Brighton away a few seasons back. Some guy was getting his dick out and waving it around too. A truly sorry sight. Capped off by one guy shouting at an injured Brighton player on the sidelines that he hoped he died from cancer and 90 minutes worth of homophobia, it was my wife's first and last away game. She refuses to go back at all now and I can't blame her tbh. The atmosphere seems to be getting worse and it's embarrassing.

no_loyalty

Took the mrs on Saturday, we are/were also planning to go to Cambridge a week on Sat and Luton in a few weeks' time. She seemed uncomfortable and distracted for much of the second half and on the way home she said she didn't want to go to Cambridge or Luton any more, had changed her mind. I'l lstill be going but she's not coming to another game until further notice now.

I let her calm down a bit as something had obviously gone down, but knowing her it is best to let her come out with it. Anyway, yesterday she tells me that during half time, when we were walking to the bar in the concourse with a few mates, a bloke behind her had grabbed her by the hips and "banged" her on the bum with his groin....then a few minutes later another bloke had grabbed her on the bum while were were having a few drinks.

She said that this sort of thing can be common in bars etc but she didn't say anything in case it kicked off and someone got punched (funnily enough some of the lads we were drinking with at half time were involved in the station scuffle, including the lad who bought me a pint who can be seen on the video getting punched), but I said to her that's not the point, me and the lads would have handled the situation by getting those two cretins chucked out. Yes it's up to her to call these people out (I obviously had no idea) if nobody else including stewards or police notice, but it's 2017 FFS, why can't people keep their hands to themselves??

She did say to me that she thought there was a rough edge on Sat that she hadn't seen before but it's a shame that a sometime fan has been put off from going to upcoming games due to the actions of some morons. If I see a dickhead doing that in future I won't hold back TBH

I sympathise with you Oucho, it is disgusting behaviour.

I also took the missus to the Chesterfield match, and she had hassle from one of the blokes in the row in front of us, he kept turning round and either kept calling her babe, or just turned round at stared at her for a while.

Cov kid 55

Plenty on it on Saturday too....I tend to agree with this.

I still think there is a certain arrogance attached to our fan base, 'we're Coventry City, we do what we want' and 'fight fight wherever you may be, we are the boys from Coventry'.....

Yes I know other clubs fans do it too but it always makes me cringe, especially when some of them are knowhere to be seen when it does come on top or kick off...
On the theme of women at Cov games, my wife attended her first game with me against Everton at Highfield Road, when we won to stay up. At the time she used to say to her friends that she enjoyed going to games because we seemed to be a famiky oriented club, lots of women and children. She doesn't think it now, she still comes to away games with me, but she's intimidated, and doesn't understand the toxic reaction from our fans when we lose. In terms of chants one I don't like to hear is the 'Grimsby's a **** hole, I want to..... We enjoyed our weekend in Grimsby, we spoke to friendly, helpful local supporters before and after the game, who have had to put up with a few years of conference football. We liked the small, atmospheric ground, but I cringed when I heard that. After all, thanks to Mr Hitler and post war building disasters, our city, it has to be admitted, is not the most aesthetically pleasing by any means (I'm still proud to have been born there, mind!). And the 'we're just to good for you chants' really paved the way for the next few games! (See my 'Kipling' thread about keeping a balance, if you can be bothered!!!). I guess I'm old fashioned and out of touch - but I'm not so proud as I used to be, to support the City. Which is sad.

M&B Stand

I'll just try and put some balance here, was in Malta from Thursday till Sunday with the missus watching England, loads of Cov out there, they were all sound lads and a credit to the city, having an away trip and a good few beers in the sunshine.

oucho

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Completely out of order, they are the sort of twats that grope women on the tube in London when its crowded. Why they do it I don't know is it to see what the reaction would be God knows

oucho

oscillatewildly

Getting back to the subject matter of this thread - and the previous mention of CCTV in that vicinity, I would at least enquire, ouch.
I also hope that the perpetrator(s), if not signed up members, do occasionally look on these boards and have been studying this thread.
I'd be a bit concerned if I was them (a depressing thought.) Expect a knock at your door sometime in the near future, you inadequate shit heads.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I do think in the last couple of seasons some people on away trips have used the SISU Out protests as an excuse to get pissed up and play up...and I think the SBT are turning a blind eye to it ;)

(chucks grenade and runs)

Users who are viewing this thread