Aaron Gunnarsson a better player now? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

He's scored more this season than in his entire city career. I have a lot of time for him, always seemed a down to earth player who had a lot of time for the fans. Can't say I blame him for going....

But do you think Aaron and Ben are better players now, or were they under utilised and/or let down by a weak team at city?

letsallsingtogether

They are now older would hope that is why they are better when their too old we might get them back
He's scored more this season than in his entire city career. I have a lot of time for him, always seemed a down to earth player who had a lot of time for the fans. Can't say I blame him for going....

But do you think Aaron and Ben are better players now, or were they under utilised and/or let down by a weak team at city?

stupot07

Yes, they are better players than when they were here. They are young and have developed in the last 2 years.

However, I do think Gunnar was poorly utilised especially under boothroyd who played him right mid. I always like Gunnar when he drove forward, but too often he was playing a deeper role.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Didn't like Gunnar after his first season on and off the pitch. Cov fans have a habit of bigging up players too quickly (same as slating them too quickly too), and Aron clicked onto this and became a stereotypical arrogant footballer IMO! At least that's the impression I got (didn't know him personally).

Turner on the other hand, considering the start he had, when Dowie persisted in playing him, dispite error after error, bad performance after bad performance, I was gutted when we lost him. He grew into the CB role here and Cardiff are lucky to have him. Whether he will make it in the prem, only time will tell. He's a bit like Scott Dann who didn't do half bad and proved himself at the top level so I think he should do ok.

wingy

Yes, they are better players than when they were here. They are young and have developed in the last 2 years.

However, I do think Gunnar was poorly utilised especially under boothroyd who played him right mid. I always like Gunnar when he drove forward, but too often he was playing a deeper role.

Conversely he took the young Turner and turned him into a beast of a Centre half.

PVA

Both have been instrumental in getting Cardiff promoted.

Gunnar was definitely not utilised properly here.

We really did under achieve though with a team including Westwood, Dann, Fox, Gunnar, Best, Turner, Ward. That team really should have been pushing the top 10, maybe higher.

LJC_CCFC

Both have been instrumental in getting Cardiff promoted.

Gunnar was definitely not utilised properly here.

We really did under achieve though with a team including Westwood, Dann, Fox, Gunnar, Best, Turner, Ward. That team really should have been pushing the top 10, maybe higher.

Coleman's predictable 4-4-2 didn't help us to utilize those players...imagine if we had Robins back then

KersleyDigs

Agree, massively that Coleman under achieved. When you look at what level Coleman's squad reached after they left, our league positions under his reign is inexcusable. It also highlights just how utterly badly SISU ran our club in selling these players for feck all or letting their contracts run down, also it shows how good our player recruitment under Ranson.....

Westwood - Prem
Barnett - Prem
Ward - Prem
Dann - Prem
Turner - Prem
Fox - Prem & Champions League
Henderson - Prem
Tabb - Prem
Cork - Prem
Gunnarsson - Prem
Best - Prem

stupot07

Conversely he took the young Turner and turned him into a beast of a Centre half.

True, but I also think boothroyds style of play helped, deep defensive line and Clingan/Doyle and Carsley both playing defensive midfield in the centre. He was fantastic in that period but was also well protected.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Agree, massively that Coleman under achieved. When you look at what level Coleman's squad reached after they left, our league positions under his reign is inexcusable. It also highlights just how utterly badly SISU ran our club in selling these players for feck all or letting their contracts run down, also it shows how good our player recruitment under Ranson.....

Westwood - Prem
Barnett - Prem
Ward - Prem
Dann - Prem
Turner - Prem
Henderson - Prem
Tabb - Prem
Cork - Prem
Gunnarsson - Prem
Best - Prem

If Ranson had his way you could have listed Carroll (Prem, International) and Henderson (Europa??, Prem, international) to that list ;)

Grendel

Westwood - Prem
Barnett - Prem
Ward - Prem
Dann - Prem
Turner - Prem
Henderson - Prem
Tabb - Prem
Cork - Prem
Gunnarsson - Prem
Best - Prem

Ranson wasn't hear when several of those players were signed.

georgehudson

it only serves to highlight the shortsighted view of the owners,
who, imho, have reduced the club, for perhaps their own strange reasons,
to nothing more than a shell,
their level of redemption is where ?
how many believe any stuff they put forward ?
PUSB,
SP + players must adopt a siege mentality, imho, of course

letsallsingtogether

it only serves to highlight the shortsighted view of the owners,
who, imho, have reduced the club, for perhaps their own strange reasons,
to nothing more than a shell,
their level of redemption is where ?
how many believe any stuff they put forward ?
PUSB,
SP + players must adopt a siege mentality, imho, of course
Totally agree

letsallsingtogether

Ranson wasn't hear when several of those players were signed.
Maybe not but he tried to get SISU to keep hold of them, one of the reasons he left was part of their team they shit on him as well shows you what sort of company they are if they can'tn have it nobody will we are doomed

Yorkshire SB

Gunnarsson was unbelievable in his first season, easily the best teenager I've seen in a city shirt. I remember Blackburn away in particular, 2-2 draw in the FA Cup and he absolutely dominated them. Absolutely agree that it went to his head a bit, but I think he appears to have settled down once again and I believe could be a Premier League player for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread