ADHD (1 Viewer)

ProfessorbyGrace

Hi all, just thought I’d chuck this here as an informational-type thread, and indeed, possibly a therapeutic one if anyone’s struggling in this area (either with symptoms or trying to get a diagnosis). Cos, well, it’s not a sign of weakness if you’re struggling.

Having been recently diagnosed with Inattentive type ADHD, I’m curious to know if anyone else here has had a diagnosis; either in adolescence or indeed, like myself, in middle age.

I was generally of the opinion, up until recently, that ADHD was usually associated with hyperactive kids and ill-discipline, but after struggling through my teens, twenties and thirties with so many issues (including drug dependencies, crippling anxiety, inability to do simple, everyday things, constant mental burnouts, zero attention span and an immunity to antidepressants) I thought I’d research it a bit and some of the pieces seemed to fit.

Then came the diagnosis last week, which didn’t come as a surprise entirely, but more of a relief that there was finally an explanation and a hope for my mess of a mind.

For some, it can be a liberating experience, to be diagnosed and treated, but indeed, for some it’s a limitations permit.

Anyone else have any experience with personal ADHD or in general?

rob9872

Get a grip and stop blaming cuntish behaviour on ADHD.

Oh and good luck with your recovery 😀

Ps I think I might have tourettes 👍

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hi all, just thought I’d chuck this here as an informational-type thread, and indeed, possibly a therapeutic one if anyone’s struggling in this area (either with symptoms or trying to get a diagnosis). Cos, well, it’s not a sign of weakness if you’re struggling.

Having been recently diagnosed with Inattentive type ADHD, I’m curious to know if anyone else here has had a diagnosis; either in adolescence or indeed, like myself, in middle age.

I was generally of the opinion, up until recently, that ADHD was usually associated with hyperactive kids and ill-discipline, but after struggling through my teens, twenties and thirties with so many issues (including drug dependencies, crippling anxiety, inability to do simple, everyday things, constant mental burnouts, zero attention span and an immunity to antidepressants) I thought I’d research it a bit and some of the pieces seemed to fit.

Then came the diagnosis last week, which didn’t come as a surprise entirely, but more of a relief that there was finally an explanation and a hope for my mess of a mind.

For some, it can be a liberating experience, to be diagnosed and treated, but indeed, for some it’s a limitations permit.

Anyone else have any experience with personal ADHD or in general?

I'm absolutely convinced that I've got it. I have struggled so much in any work or school environment throughout my life when it comes to concentration. At school I could sit in a lesson and just switch off for 59 minutes of the hour. Unless I force myself to write things down (which I often forget anyway), I will retain next to no information in a lot of occasions. People on here will joke, but I've managed to just about skirt by in life because I'm a good talker and would regard myself as pretty intelligent. I would have been fucked otherwise because my work output is well under-par, and I have also lost jobs in the past.

I spoke to a professional who thinks I have it as well, but she couldn't diagnose me officially. How do you go down that avenue? I must say for me it is a relief to know, because I could never figure out why and how I struggled so much. I'm pretty cross with my parents and teachers because I was underperforming constantly and just got told off. On the rare occasion I did do a good piece of work, it caused confusion and made them think I was just being lazy most of the time. I was top of the class when it came to more verbal and vocational things though, or stuff that I had a vague interest in. GCSE revision was comprised of playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and learning to fly commercial aircraft.

Open to any further advice as it still is a massive weight on my shoulders in life. Fair play for starting this thread! Good luck to you.

ProfessorbyGrace

I'm absolutely convinced that I've got it. I have struggled so much in any work or school environment throughout my life when it comes to concentration. At school I could sit in a lesson and just switch off for 59 minutes of the hour. Unless I force myself to write things down (which I often forget anyway), I will retain next to no information in a lot of occasions. People on here will joke, but I've managed to just about skirt by in life because I'm a good talker and would regard myself as pretty intelligent. I would have been fucked otherwise because my work output is well under-par, and I have also lost jobs in the past.

I spoke to a professional who thinks I have it as well, but she couldn't diagnose me officially. How do you go down that avenue? I must say for me it is a relief to know, because I could never figure out why and how I struggled so much. I'm pretty cross with my parents and teachers because I was underperforming constantly and just got told off. On the rare occasion I did do a good piece of work, it caused confusion and made them think I was just being lazy most of the time. I was top of the class when it came to more verbal and vocational things though, or stuff that I had a vague interest in. GCSE revision was comprised of playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and learning to fly commercial aircraft.

Open to any further advice as it still is a massive weight on my shoulders in life. Fair play for starting this thread! Good luck to you.
Absolutely, the struggles you describe can be attributed to ADHD; another crucial aspect, is the ability to ‘hyper focus’ which consumes an inordinate amount of mental energy, and often happens at a point where something has to be done/completed/carried out by an inflexible deadline or self imposed time. Usually, the disregulation of motivation and emotion is the culprit for putting things off, not completing stuff, it’s like a cognitive barrier. Until that point of no return, and me personally, I did 2 3000 word essays for my degree in four hours, cos it was down to the wire time wise. Also, there’s a noted problem with completing any task that isn’t of interest or stimulating enough, due to the brains poor executive functioning. This is what the depression and anxiety stem from, and the self imposed pressure to perform to a prescribed level of functionality. This is what also accounts for higher levels of failed relationships, failed employment, education etc.

I can literally plough hours into FIFA or history, but I can’t sustain a hobby if it doesn’t captivate me. Nor can I study for essays, I have to hyper focus my way through in one go, and then turn it in.

I could literally go on for hours, but I won’t. But what I will say, is that ADHD isn’t an inhibitor to intelligence or creativity, in fact quite the opposite. It’s just that the neuro transmitters in the brain don’t really fancy talking that well most of the time.

As for an official diagnosis; I was told in no uncertain terms by my GP that if I wanted an appointment within 3 years, I’d have to go private. So I did, at great expense; maxed out my frigging credit card to get a proper, official diagnosis from an experienced Psychiatrist, and the appointment came through in 3 WEEKS.
The assessment was over Zoom, and it was for two hours. Yesterday I received my digital diagnosis letter, and the first batch of meds (not stimulant based, although they are very commonly used to treat ADHD).

Ultimately, if you want that closure and that sense of relief, then I’d recommend taking the plunge and going private. Obviously if your finances can stretch to it. If you do have it, and you get the diagnosis and meds, it could be a life changer, mate.

Sorry about the essay, haha, but thank you for the kind words, and if you need any further help or queries answered, drop me a PM. 👍🏻

Brighton Sky Blue

I teach a few people with this condition. They're all now on medication for it, which isn't always consistent, but it allows them to focus on a piece of work for longer than usual. The main thing teaching wise is to keep activities short and sweet so they can still get decent amounts of work done in a way that suits them. As time goes on they get good at knowing when they're finding it particularly difficult and when the medication will and will not help.

Certainly when I was at school it was very poorly understood-thankfully not the case now.

shmmeee

Read a few tweets by a guy who said very similar things as OP and that meds and diagnosis had changed his life.

Reactions: AOM

Otis

Not sure on myself.

I lack patience, struggle to sit still for a second and always have to be doing something. Performed poorly at school because I struggled to concentrate, but then wrote 15 scripts for a comedy in just three weeks, so can throw myself into something relentlessly and put my entire focus into that one thing.

I can't read any books at all. Last one I read was in 2002 (an autobiography by Michael J Fox) and that was the first one for 20 years too. I can't read instructions and quickly skip to the end of everything. 🤷

Easily distracted and am very forgetful and can be impulsive. But then I don't have a quick temper and don't take risks and don't have the no regard for personal safety thing, so have never driven fast or gone for any sort of extreme sport etc.

I do seem to have some of the traits and my missus thinks I am.

Hard innit.

SkyBlueScottie

As understanding grows I often look back at "behaviours" in my life and have to wonder. Particularly around school / learning. Like others have mentioned, lack of focus on tasks, until the laser like focus is required. Over the years, Ive tried to learn behaviours, particularly for work reasons, to try and take me down a career path which in the companies i worked for would have helped my progression, but it nearly killed me. I've since changed job roles and although the earning isn't as good I am happy at work and most importantly at home.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Absolutely, the struggles you describe can be attributed to ADHD; another crucial aspect, is the ability to ‘hyper focus’ which consumes an inordinate amount of mental energy, and often happens at a point where something has to be done/completed/carried out by an inflexible deadline or self imposed time. Usually, the disregulation of motivation and emotion is the culprit for putting things off, not completing stuff, it’s like a cognitive barrier. Until that point of no return, and me personally, I did 2 3000 word essays for my degree in four hours, cos it was down to the wire time wise. Also, there’s a noted problem with completing any task that isn’t of interest or stimulating enough, due to the brains poor executive functioning. This is what the depression and anxiety stem from, and the self imposed pressure to perform to a prescribed level of functionality. This is what also accounts for higher levels of failed relationships, failed employment, education etc.

I can literally plough hours into FIFA or history, but I can’t sustain a hobby if it doesn’t captivate me. Nor can I study for essays, I have to hyper focus my way through in one go, and then turn it in.

I could literally go on for hours, but I won’t. But what I will say, is that ADHD isn’t an inhibitor to intelligence or creativity, in fact quite the opposite. It’s just that the neuro transmitters in the brain don’t really fancy talking that well most of the time.

As for an official diagnosis; I was told in no uncertain terms by my GP that if I wanted an appointment within 3 years, I’d have to go private. So I did, at great expense; maxed out my frigging credit card to get a proper, official diagnosis from an experienced Psychiatrist, and the appointment came through in 3 WEEKS.
The assessment was over Zoom, and it was for two hours. Yesterday I received my digital diagnosis letter, and the first batch of meds (not stimulant based, although they are very commonly used to treat ADHD).

Ultimately, if you want that closure and that sense of relief, then I’d recommend taking the plunge and going private. Obviously if your finances can stretch to it. If you do have it, and you get the diagnosis and meds, it could be a life changer, mate.

Sorry about the essay, haha, but thank you for the kind words, and if you need any further help or queries answered, drop me a PM. 👍🏻

I was going through that and ticking boxes as I was going along, also with the point Otis made about reading books. I reckon I have finished barely more than five in my entire life, yet I managed to write my own and publish it. 'Hyper focus' is exactly the mode I have in order to get anything done, and I genuinely do an 8 hour working day in less than half of it. All my studying and essays done at the last minute too. Never any exception. The rest of the time my brain is off.

The motivation and emotion regulation (or lack of) is something I have been working on for a few years now, and that was tough to take when I had that diagnosis, even if slightly relieving. It has since been an operation to try and build up those things that I never had as a child in order to live a normal life, which I would say I am doing pretty well with now. I think ADHD is another part of that for me, and I will try to understand it more. It's really easy to internalise it though, and some people even think it is fashionable these days to have things like this. Personally, I just want to get on and live a normal life, which I guess is the difference. I will be looking to go further with this and will follow your advice, but I am also curious about how your medication works. Feel free to PM me if that is too personal to share, but I thought I would leave my comment on here as like with what you have done, it might help someone else. Cheers!

napolimp

Haha, pretty much described my life. Have ADHD myself, it sounds like your suspicions are not displaced.

I'll also add, in regards to what ProfessorbyGrace said, I started my undergrad dissertation the day before the deadline.

I think the worst part of neurodiversity - especially as an adult - can be the loneliness. In that unless you specifically know someone who also suffers, you don't have people to talk to who understand what you're going through.

Terry_dactyl

Thank you for sharing this. It really resonates with me.
Without wanting to go into too much detail, I’ve worked for many years in jobs where neurodiversity is often prevalent. Many of the qualified people I work with/have worked with (and I’ve thought this of myself) have said that they think I have adhd…or ADD…not necessarily the hyperactivity aspect.
Most recently I was sat chatting with a NHS practitioner I’ve known for many years. I mentioned my thoughts about myself and she just shrugged and said, “well, yeah…obviously”!
Some years ago I went to my GP and was told that they wouldn’t refer me for assessment as I have two degrees and a decent job. I’ve read online others having similar experiences.
I’ve often thought about seeking an assessment privately but have delayed doing so for a variety of reasons…cost being a big one.
Your description of essay writing is 100% what I’m like!

Otis

Thank you for sharing this. It really resonates with me.
Without wanting to go into too much detail, I’ve worked for many years in jobs where neurodiversity is often prevalent. Many of the qualified people I work with/have worked with (and I’ve thought this of myself) have said that they think I have adhd…or ADD…not necessarily the hyperactivity aspect.
Most recently I was sat chatting with a NHS practitioner I’ve known for many years. I mentioned my thoughts about myself and she just shrugged and said, “well, yeah…obviously”!
Some years ago I went to my GP and was told that they wouldn’t refer me for assessment as I have two degrees and a decent job. I’ve read online others having similar experiences.
I’ve often thought about seeking an assessment privately but have delayed doing so for a variety of reasons…cost being a big one.
Your description of essay writing is 100% what I’m like!
For me, this has only been suggested to me in the past 3 or 4 months. I have spent my entire life thinking I was thick. 🤷

It's only my missus, who has said I am not thick at all and she recognised all the symptoms, as she had encountered it before with someone. She just said my brain is wired differently, whereas I thought I hardly had a brain at all.

The other thing that has just come to me is the fact that I would always leave every City game early, even if by just a couple of minutes each time. Would always be at the ground and in my seat really early too before the game. Would be seated by 2.15pm at the latest.

Almost a compulsion to do both and I guess that is down the the impatience thing.

I am now in my 60's and life is only just starting to make sense to me. 🤷

Terry_dactyl

For me, this has only been suggested to me in the past 3 or 4 months. I have spent my entire life thinking I was thick. 🤷

It's only my missus, who has said I am not thick at all and she recognised all the symptoms, as she had encountered it before with someone. She just said my brain is wired differently, whereas I thought I hardly had a brain at all.

The other thing that has just come to me is the fact that I would always leave every City game early, even if by just a couple of minutes each time. Would always be at the ground and in my seat really early too before the game. Would be seated by 2.15pm at the latest.

Almost a compulsion to do both and I guess that is down the the impatience thing.

I was chatting to a mate of mine…one of my old football managers (for football context) last week. He told me that a close friend of his has just been diagnosed with adhd; he’s 67. Never too late I’d say.
As someone has said, possibly helps make sense of things.

Flying Fokker

My cousin was diagnosed at the age of 59. His journey was a difficult one. Eternal pain in the butt at school, saw authority for what it was, always one to stand and fight …Anyone. 6 ft 4 and 20 stone helped. Ended up in prison for stupid things and aggression. Handled prison without getting ‘picked on’. Never held down a job because of wanderlust. Then he ended up being assessed eventually.

napolimp

My cousin was diagnosed at the age of 59. His journey was a difficult one. Eternal pain in the butt at school, saw authority for what it was, always one to stand and fight …Anyone. 6 ft 4 and 20 stone helped. Ended up in prison for stupid things and aggression. Handled prison without getting ‘picked on’. Never held down a job because of wanderlust. Then he ended up being assessed eventually.

They say 1 in 4 adult prisoners have ADHD. If that doesn't tell you how difficult it is out there, then nothing will. It's not trendy, as some people like to say, it's a lifetime struggle.

ProfessorbyGrace

They say 1 in 4 adult prisoners have ADHD. If that doesn't tell you how difficult it is out there, then nothing will. It's not trendy, as some people like to say, it's a lifetime struggle.
Exactly this.
I’m not sure if this has been touched upon, but ADHD is in itself a ‘spectrum’, as in, there is a definite mild to severe impact upon the individual.
From what I can gather, the Inattentive aspect is most common, but there are two other aspects, one of which is the hyperactivity and (I believe) the risk taking, impulsivity aspect. All three together, well, that’s a severe case.

However, even with Inattentive type, it has a profound effect on every walk of life. It’s like the brain has endless cognitive barriers in place, and an inability to regulate emotion and motivation adequately. It’s literally a ‘wiring problem’ analogically speaking.

Day three of non-stimulant meds, by the way, haha, what an odd experience this far.

ProfessorbyGrace

Ok, and this is not to worry you, or make you feel like you’re broken, mate, but it’s a straight fact to help you (to understand the disorder a bit better, if you think it’s impeding your life): the interesting fact about ADHD is that if you have it, you’re 34-35% more likely to be somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, which actually makes sense to me as I have odd compulsions and periods of OCD (which can be characteristic of ASD). Sometimes it feels like being pulled in two different directions, mentally, it’s a strange feeling.

Definitely not thick, mate, just wired up differently, like your wife said. 😊Like many of us actually are/have been, we just haven’t realised it. In most cases, those with some form of neurodivergence can be more creative, funny, empathetic, generous and inspiring.

There are definite strategies and methods to aid neurodiversity, so that you can actually do what you want to, without that cognitive barrier being an obstacle. 👍🏻

Sick Boy

A lot of what has been written already also resonates strongly with me and my experiences growing up and also now - I suspect if I went to see a doctor about it I’d also be diagnosed.

I don’t like the idea of being on medication, so have learnt to accept some stuff and be ok with it. My partner accepts that side of me too so I’m all good with it.

Otis

A lot of what has been written already also resonates strongly with me and my experiences growing up and also now - I suspect if I went to see a doctor about it I’d also be diagnosed.

I don’t like the idea of being on medication, so have learnt to accept some stuff and be ok with it. My partner accepts that side of me too so I’m all good with it.
Yeah, same. My missus loves me for how I am and it makes her chuckle. She isn't laughing at me. It's a kind of consideration (aww, bless) chuckle

😂

She says she understands me perfectly well, because her daughter definitely has ADHD. Probably why I get on so well with the daughter.

My missus calls us a pair of nutters. We understand each other so well and our brains are wired the same way

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If anything I'm completely the other way - I concentrate really hard on everything. Can spend hours on trivial things and not realise where the time's gone. I watch TV like there's going to be a test on it. If I miss a word I have to rewind it and find out what it was.

Get annoyed when I have to interrupt what I'm doing because I know I'll get engrossed in whatever that is and totally forget what I was doing before. Constantly leaving notes for myself because of it as reminders. Unsurprisingly multi-tasking is not an option for me.

Despite that I procastinate a lot, though that's probably because I'm a bit OCD and a perfectionist and the annoyance I feel when something isn't as good as I want is far worse that the feeling of inactivity.

Sick Boy

Yeah, same. My missus loves me for how I am and it makes her chuckle. She isn't laughing at me. It's a kind of consideration (aww, bless) chuckle

😂

She says she understands me perfectly well, because her daughter definitely has ADHD. Probably why I get on so well with the daughter.

My missus calls us a pair of nutters. We understand each other so well and our brains are wired the same way
I wouldn’t go that far - she tolerates me though 😂😂

ProfessorbyGrace

Seems that we’re all a pretty neurodivergent bunch on here! Flipping heck.

I feel a support group brewing…

ProfessorbyGrace

Yeah, you could set up a supporters group that turns up 20 minutes late to every match.
It’d be a shambles; half would be late, a few would be down the pub obliviously, one would be in the throes of existential doom in the cupboard, and possibly a few more wouldn’t turn up unless the stars were in alignment. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread