Match Thread AFC Wim'don v Coventry Match Thread - Tuesday 14th Feb (1 Viewer)

Otis

Fisher should be on the phone to sisu this morning outlining his plan for us to have a real crack at getting out of league 2 next year, if he doesn't receive their support then he should walk. Part of that plan should be him on his knees begging fans for forgiveness for the absolute car crash he's turned the club into and pleading with fans to get behind the team next year.

On his knees begging the fans for forgiveness whilst asking for donations towards the Joy Seppala statue fund.

theferret

You know something, I have been dead excited about getting to Wembley and going to Wembley and been really looking forwards to it all, but I have to say I am starting to come round to your way of thinking on this.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the idea of giving a heroes welcome and standing ovation to a bunch of players who simply haven't given enough this season is all rather odd and embarrassing.

:(

I have lost my buzz at the moment, after previously having been totally buzzing.

They're not good enough Otis, that is clear. Haven't given enough? In spells perhaps, there have been games where we have come away saying that, but they seem to be giving everything at the moment. Jut watched the goals from last night - firstly, their goal was very fortunate, just typical of the season we have had. The reaction of the players said a lot. They looked broken by it. It is easy to say they don't care enough, but I think it's more a case of not being good enough.

Wembley will be exactly what we expect it to be, just a day out and a brief chance to escape the misery. If they give everything on the day, I'll have no issue applauding them. It won't be a heroes welcome, it'll be a recognition of the occasion and nothing more.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not sure, we don't have a squad that should be sat rock bottom of the league.

If we weren't good enough we would be taking a pasting every week and getting hammered.

ecky

Fisher should be on the phone to sisu this morning outlining his plan for us to have a real crack at getting out of league 2 next year, if he doesn't receive their support then he should walk. Part of that plan should be him on his knees begging fans for forgiveness for the absolute car crash he's turned the club into and pleading with fans to get behind the team next year.
Too arrogant for that...

theferret

I'm not sure, we don't have a squad that should be sat rock bottom of the league.

If we weren't good enough we would be taking a pasting every week and getting hammered.

I think we do have a squad that should be bottom of the league. Despite having a few decent individual players, the squad isn't fit for league 1. We're starting with Tudgay as a lone striker. We have young kids playing in conditions even seasoned pros would struggle with. I cannot fault the effort in the last few games, but yes, there have been spells when it has been questionable (I think back to Oxford away as a good example). Don't get your last point Nick - not being good enough overall to stay up doesn't mean we won't pick up points here and there and have the odd moment.

ecky

He's not getting the best out of what he has
Ok their not brilliant but collectively they should be playing a lot better

It boils down to inept coaching and management
We don't have any leaders anymore or that star player who can turn a game

Nick

Administrator
I think we do have a squad that should be bottom of the league. Despite having a few decent individual players, the squad isn't fit for league 1. We're starting with Tudgay as a lone striker. We have young kids playing in conditions even seasoned pros would struggle with. I cannot fault the effort in the last few games, but yes, there have been spells when it has been questionable (I think back to Oxford away as a good example). Don't get your last point Nick - not being good enough overall to stay up doesn't mean we won't pick up points here and there and have the odd moment.

Which young kids?

The lineup last night wasn't that young and was probably average for the league.

We should be doing a lot better than we are.

theferret

Which young kids?

The lineup last night wasn't that young and was probably average for the league.

We should be doing a lot better than we are.

Yes, and last night we were seconds from winning the game. I'm talking about over the season. The likes of Harries, DKE, Jones, Thomas, Stevenson are babies really.

I don't get this idea that we're massively underachieving as a squad. We're bottom, by a country mile, after 31 games. The table doesn't lie, certainly not at this stage of the season - a season when we've had 3 different managers. I'm no fan of Slade, don't like his selections, tactics or formations, and yes with better management over the season we might be a few points better off. We'd still be in a dogfight though, because this squad is simply not good enough. No wins in an age in a shit league like L1 tells you that.

standupforcity

I sat in the stand behind the goal, but not sure what difference fans shouting at a manager no matter where they are positioned is going to have had.

A manager is t going to think 'shit, the fans want to see xxx I'd better put him on to keep them happy'. He's going to do what he fees is right, whether we agree with it or not.

Should I be annoyed he not the players didn't listen to what I was shouting, losing much of my voice in the process?

As for more gifted players on the bench, do we? Could they cut it in the way we wanted to position ours lives today?

Reid - Mr inconsistent himself
Haynes - doesn't do it often enough
RCC - can only play one keeper, both as error prone and lacking confidence as each other
Yak - came on, quite immobile, few good touches but was never going to get longer
Bigi - as mentioned in my previous post 'may' have been better suited to the role Foley was being asked to play, but has been out of form of late.
Ruben - only seems to turn it on in the Checkatrade (that because we're playing lower division teams or teams of kids?)
Jones - yes he did well when he came on but is another who is just too inconsistent

What we needed last night was pace! There was unused pace on the bench...Wimbledon didn't know how to deal with Jones going forward. We could have had Reid and Haynes on there too, with Lameiras adding a touch of skill, which was also missing in a game of hoofball, until Yakubu came on,!!

standupforcity

No. You?

I was there tonight and for those of you who weren't, don't listen to all this moaning about Slade on here. That was NOT the mood of the fans as we left the ground, his name wasn't mentioned once on the way home and I was with a group of a dozen fans. We very nearly pulled off a smash and grab job there. Wimbledon had a good spell either side of half time, but we were the better team for much of the game and towards the end, after the goal, they had no ideas left as Slade says. Even the goal seemed to come out of nothing for Dons, it all seemed very comfortable and then moments later we had conceded.

By the way, Wimbledon did have several attempts on goal, they missed 3-4 decent chances so no idea where the "they had no shots before the goal" line came from.

Burge, DKE, Clarke, Reilly, Kwame and Jones all did well. Yak looked like he will be a handful in future games, too. Like a cross between Reda and Nouble!
I guess all the comments about Slade were loaded into our car then!!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

What we needed last night was pace! There was unused pace on the bench...Wimbledon didn't know how to deal with Jones going forward. We could have had Reid and Haynes on there too, with Lameiras adding a touch of skill, which was also missing in a game of hoofball, until Yakubu came on,!!

That was only after the game opened up in the 2nd half. First hour there was fuck all space for either team to play and the pitch was shocking. Jones wouldn't have been as effective had he started.

Grendel

Reid and Haynes have no real pace and Lameries is utterly bereft of ability.

theferret

We are marooned at the bottom of the League after 31 games, having won 4 games this season, and still some people believe we are in a false position! Unbelievable.

And if anything, our squad is weaker now than at any point this season. Our best performance this season was Port Vale away. It was a great performance, but the starting eleven that day included Sterry, Page, Sordell, McCann, Agyei, Wright. I know some of those didn't set the world on fire, but overall we were a much stronger unit then - and you also had Stevenson, Bigi and Willis on a decent run of form. That's 9 outfield players who didn't start last night. If that side could barely win a game, then what hope is there for the current crop?

Last edited:

covcity4life

And if anything, our squad is weaker now than at any point this season. Our best performance this season was Port Vale away. It was a great performance, but the starting eleven that day included Sterry, Page, Sordell, McCann, Agyei, Wright. I know some of those didn't set the world on fire, but overall we were a much stronger unit then - and you also had Stevenson, Bigi and Willis on a decent run of form. If that side could barely win a game, then what hope is there for the current crop?

yup agree. blaming summer recruit for current manager is silly. hes possibly made the team worse in january

people go on about getting rid of martin and not replacing. whata bout getting rid of agyei and wright and not replacing? call them shit all you like but they had about 6 goals between um. how we could do with 6 goals over the last 6 weeks.

and yes i miss stevenson and bigi from team. if manager picking up wins you could understand it but as it is maybe technical midfield should be given another chance

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm with @theferret on this one, but without turning it into another lecture against @covcity4life, recruitment was a massive part of the problem because it left us so far behind.

As much as I do think Slade has made some mistakes with his tactics, I don't think we can really get on his back last night. He set the team up in the right way, and even chose to use Foley as a DM, which should tell you enough of his opinions of Gazdhev and Bigi, who I agree are not good enough for this level. They are the first two of many players who are simply not good enough. The team is riddled with them.

I couldn't list the players not good enough as there are too many, in fact, we probably only have about 5 who are good enough for this League. Slade has bought in some good players, but he knows we are not good enough to win games 2-0, 3-0, so if we do score a goal (as if by magic), he shuts up shop. How do I know that? Because how many times this season have we tried to kill games off by scoring a goal, yet wasted chance after chance then get punished for gambling late on? Countless! We're not good enough and he knows it, and apart from maybe bringing on another defensive substitute last night (which I would have done, and he should have done in other games), he probably couldn't do a lot more. Maybe to concede was unlucky, but the fact it has happened so many times points to the players more than anything, they cannot focus, fight, grind, because they are not good enough and the mentality is fucking weak.

The players should nearly all be shipped out the day the season ends and a new squad built full of hungry players. Slade might not be the right option, and whilst I stand by that some of his decisions have been wrong, it was too late for him and his signings to make enough of a difference. The damage was more than done by the Punch and Judy show ala Mowbray and Venus.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I sat in the stand behind the goal, but not sure what difference fans shouting at a manager no matter where they are positioned is going to have had.

A manager is t going to think 'shit, the fans want to see xxx I'd better put him on to keep them happy'. He's going to do what he fees is right, whether we agree with it or not.

Should I be annoyed he not the players didn't listen to what I was shouting, losing much of my voice in the process?

As for more gifted players on the bench, do we? Could they cut it in the way we wanted to position ours lives today?

Reid - Mr inconsistent himself
Haynes - doesn't do it often enough
RCC - can only play one keeper, both as error prone and lacking confidence as each other
Yak - came on, quite immobile, few good touches but was never going to get longer
Bigi - as mentioned in my previous post 'may' have been better suited to the role Foley was being asked to play, but has been out of form of late.
Ruben - only seems to turn it on in the Checkatrade (that because we're playing lower division teams or teams of kids?)
Jones - yes he did well when he came on but is another who is just too inconsistent

Clearly I lost the ability to type as well as my voice last night! Can't even blame the cold!

Apologies :)

Manchester_sky_blue

We should have kept Ageyi and Wright. They may not have been anything special but at least they might have played unlike Vernam and Folivi (sp?)

The Reverend Skyblue

I would keep Haynes and Reid, but play Haynes wide midfield and Reid given extra training on putting in a decent cross/ball
Lameries is horse crap, far too lightweight especially for the slogfest in league two next season. He's skillfull but has the body of a pre pubescent boy.
We need a bloody keeper before anything else next year, this should have been targeted two years ago.

Last edited:

jordan210

One of the issues I noticed last night is Slade does not have any game management.

Just after the extra time has been announced, he should have been preparing to make his final sub. This would have slowed down the game and wasted a bit of time. It was obvious AFC where just going to keep hitting it long. So why did we keep giving them the opportunity too.

Half the subs on the bench must have known they would not be getting a game as at no point did someone them ever warm up on the touch line. Most looked disinterested in what he was saying to them during the game.

steve82

Yes, and last night we were seconds from winning the game. I'm talking about over the season. The likes of Harries, DKE, Jones, Thomas, Stevenson are babies really.

I don't get this idea that we're massively underachieving as a squad. We're bottom, by a country mile, after 31 games. The table doesn't lie, certainly not at this stage of the season - a season when we've had 3 different managers. I'm no fan of Slade, don't like his selections, tactics or formations, and yes with better management over the season we might be a few points better off. We'd still be in a dogfight though, because this squad is simply not good enough. No wins in an age in a shit league like L1 tells you that.

We are marooned at the bottom of the League after 31 games, having won 4 games this season, and still some people believe we are in a false position! Unbelievable.

I'm with @theferret on this one, but without turning it into another lecture against @covcity4life, recruitment was a massive part of the problem because it left us so far behind.

As much as I do think Slade has made some mistakes with his tactics, I don't think we can really get on his back last night. He set the team up in the right way, and even chose to use Foley as a DM, which should tell you enough of his opinions of Gazdhev and Bigi, who I agree are not good enough for this level. They are the first two of many players who are simply not good enough. The team is riddled with them.

I couldn't list the players not good enough as there are too many, in fact, we probably only have about 5 who are good enough for this League. Slade has bought in some good players, but he knows we are not good enough to win games 2-0, 3-0, so if we do score a goal (as if by magic), he shuts up shop. How do I know that? Because how many times this season have we tried to kill games off by scoring a goal, yet wasted chance after chance then get punished for gambling late on? Countless! We're not good enough and he knows it, and apart from maybe bringing on another defensive substitute last night (which I would have done, and he should have done in other games), he probably couldn't do a lot more. Maybe to concede was unlucky, but the fact it has happened so many times points to the players more than anything, they cannot focus, fight, grind, because they are not good enough and the mentality is fucking weak.

The players should nearly all be shipped out the day the season ends and a new squad built full of hungry players. Slade might not be the right option, and whilst I stand by that some of his decisions have been wrong, it was too late for him and his signings to make enough of a difference. The damage was more than done by the Punch and Judy show ala Mowbray and Venus.

Some real honest assessments.
This is where we're at, the squads not good enough to cope.

Nick

Administrator
One of the issues I noticed last night is Slade does not have any game management.

Just after the extra time has been announced, he should have been preparing to make his final sub. This would have slowed down the game and wasted a bit of time. It was obvious AFC where just going to keep hitting it long. So why did we keep giving them the opportunity too.

Half the subs on the bench must have known they would not be getting a game as at no point did someone them ever warm up on the touch line. Most looked disinterested in what he was saying to them during the game.

Happens most weeks, we can be trying to get back into a game and the subs are all sat there on the bench rather than warming up.

covcity4life

alot of young players are from this new generation who love pogba on istagram etc and siljky skills

so there are 2 issues

1)they can be pansies and need to man up to lower league football
2)they are gonna rightly have no respect for hoofball and not attempting to play football

if we can find a manager who is a disciplinary but also plays with tactics we could get best out of them. we dont wanna get rid of young players after all. but mid 20s defintley the way to go in future

The Lurker

still in shock from last night. the silence amongst us after they scored spoke volumes. slade did take a lot of stick from fans justified imo but I do feel sorry for him. he's a nice guy but not upto the job. he even started a song for the fans but I'm interested in him concentrating on the pitch. he reminds me of andy thorn.

on a positive note, I was home for half 12. Journey was a breeze on the way back :)

Users who are viewing this thread