Alan Curbishley on the Danny Baker Show (1 Viewer)

Grendel

And Billy Wright is still England captain,...........yawn yawn yawn .you have spoken again

Don't think he was when Palace finished 3rd in the 90's

Odd when most refer to our potential status it's largely referring to a period when Bobby Moore was captain.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think when people talk about our potential as a big club it's about the population compared to the number of teams. We have to be the biggest one club city around and similar cities population wise support tens of thousands of regular fans. What we miss is the events that create long term fans: cup wins, promotions especially.

Looking at the last 30 years won't do anyone any good, IIRC (if anyone has source would love to know) the cities population was at its lowest just after the cup win and is forecast to keep growing over the next few decades. When you include surrounding areas like Warwickshire you've got to think the potential for reasonably well off fans is there.

What it'll take is someone being able to put out a successful team. As we stand that'll require either a long slog building the club up again or some money put in for "instant success". The one good thing about Sisu's mismanagement is we are a pretty blank slate for the latter.

I know as a city we are pessimistic fuckers bit objectively CCFC has all the elements to be a sustainable mid table Prem side if we could get there.

The caveat on that of course is how the owners of the Ricoh affect the potential fan base, city fans might not like it but that effect can not be ignored. Yes football is the bigger wealthier game but rugby is not as small as it used to be. There is now serious & organised competition in the city for potential customers

Brylowes

I suppose massive could mean that there is the potential for massive growth in the current average gate but it's only because we'd be starting from an increasingly lower base. To fill the Ricoh we're looking at a 250-300% increase in average numbers through the gate!
As I continually point out, apart from a boom period from the 60s to late 70s we were a top flight club that drew average or below support at that level. We then became the same thing in the Championship and then have become same again in League 1.
Arguably we are missing out on the top divisions biggest ever boom time, both in terms Of popularity
and financial rewards, when we were there hardly anyone achieved regular capacity attendances.
Nowadays most clubs have waiting lists for season tickets, I have little doubt were we enjoying life in
The promised land we would be attracting crowds the same as everyone else.

Of course we are not a massive club 'never have been" there are probably 6 massive clubs followed
By another 6 very big clubs, then another group of about 15 clubs of which we are one, or should be.

Users who are viewing this thread