Alan Pardew set to be new Newcastle manager (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

_50345177_pardew466282.jpg

Alan Pardew is set to be named as the new Newcastle United manager within the next 24 hours, BBC Sport understands. The former Reading, West Ham, Charlton and Southampton boss was among the favourites to take over from Chris Hughton, who was sacked on Monday.
Hughton led Newcastle back into the top flight last season but following his dismissal, the club said it wanted someone "with more experience".
Pardew, 49, has been out of work since being sacked by Southampton in August.
BBC Sport understands that Pardew, who is an associate of director Derek Llambias, was in talks with Newcastle about taking over at St James' Park as long as 10 days ago.
BBC Radio 5 live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis said: "I think there has been significant progress behind the scenes.

"Last night the club said they were hopeful of installing a new manager before Saturday's visit of Liverpool, but I think the plans have been brought forward a fraction.
"I think Pardew has been on [owner] Mike Ashley's radar for some time. Pardew may feel he has unfinished business in the Premier League. He's got a lot of experience from his time at West Ham.
"I can't fathom out why Chris Hughton was sacked. From my point of view there is no defence for the reason for the sacking."
Pardew has over 500 games under his belt, but limited Premier League experience.
He joined West Ham in September 2003 and guided them to promotion to the Premier League in 2005 before being sacked in December 2006.
He then joined Charlton on Christmas Eve 2006 but the club were relegated from the Premier League later that season and after failing to get promotion in 2007-08, he left in November 2008.
Among the other names linked with the St James' Park post were former Tottenham manager Martin Jol, who stepped down as Ajax boss on Monday and ex-Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill.
Pardew attracted just 14 votes in a local newspaper poll of Newcastle fans on who they wanted as the new manager.
Indeed, Hughton, who was sacked on Monday, received more backing in the online survey by the city's paper, the Evening Chronicle, with 6% of the votes.
Out of more than 1,000 responses to the poll, Pardew claimed less than 2% (14 votes).
Former Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill was a runaway favourite with 42.3%. Ex-Tottenham manager Martin Jol, who quit his job at Ajax on Monday before ruling himself out of the Newcastle job attracted 32.8%. Former player and manager Alan Shearer took 7.8% of the votes.

Users who are viewing this thread