All purpose cricket thread (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

And congratulations to England's women who beat Australia in a real thriller.
Go to icc-cricket.com to see highlights.

Gazolba

England women in a superb performance to beat New Zealand.
In the World Cup semi-finals now.

chiefdave

This Roland-Jones fella is alright. At this rate he'll get the whole team out by himself before the end of the day!

Covstu

Very good day for us, fantastic knock by stokes again and we just ripped through their order. Good day!!!

Terry Gibson's perm

I wouldn't enforce the follow.

Bat on get 450+ lead and have 10 overs at them tomorrow night.

I would see how the weather is going in the morning, if it's swinging the bowlers will be fresh stick them back in, also I think it's rain tomorrow so more rest in the afternoon.

I would nearly always enforce the follow on

Last edited:

Otis

I would see how the weather is going in the morning, if it's swinging the bowlers will be fresh stick them back in, also I think it's rain tomorrow so more rest in the afternoon.

I would nearly always enforce the follow on

Yep, follow on for sure. England bowlers should still be relatively fresh and we are only 2 days in.

Enforce the follow on, keep them on the back foot and under pressure.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I have NEVER understood the game of cricket, but I know there is a huge following of the game. I just can't get my head round the rules, e.g.:
What's a follow-on? Why do teams want to avoid it?
Why are games played over days on end, yet some (20/20 I believe) can be over in a day?
How is a win scored? By runs? By wickets taken?
Why are the fielding positions given daft names like "silly mid on", "silly mid off" etc.
I am quite serious here. I don't have any interest in the game whatsoever, but with a bit of help, I might be able to understand it better!

skybluesam66

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Houchens Head

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
NOW it all makes sense! :emoji_sleeping:

Gazolba

I have NEVER understood the game of cricket, <snip> I don't have any interest in the game whatsoever, but with a bit of help, I might be able to understand it better!
If you were that interested in learning about it, you would. There are plenty of books, videos and internet articles about it that you can freely take advantage of.
It's not possible to explain the game and all of its intricacies in a few sentences.

chiefdave

The game at the moment is a test match, so can last 5 days. Easily recognisable by everyone wearing white. For cricket lovers it is the ultimate form of the game.

In a nutshell each team can potentially bat twice. England batted first and got 353. South Africa are currently 126 with 8 out.

To avoid the follow on they need to get to 153. If they don't then England can make them follow on which means rather than England batting next South Africa go again.

You don't have to make them follow on, its a tactical move.

In this match Englands bowlers haven't had to bowl much so shouldn't be tired and there's a decent chance of time being lost to rain so the follow on could be a good option if they get the choice.

Essentially the side who scores the most runs wins. If its the team batting last they say they have won by ? wickets (the number of wickets they had left when they overtook the other teams total). If its the team bowling last they say they won by ? runs (the number of runs short the team batting last were). It can be and innings and ? runs of the winning team only bats once.
I am quite serious here. I don't have any interest in the game whatsoever, but with a bit of help, I might be able to understand it better!
I would highly recommend What Is a Googly. Excellent book that covers pretty much everything and won't take long to read. Seems to be out of print at the moment but plenty of cheap second hand copies on Amazon.

Houchens Head

If you were that interested in learning about it, you would. There are plenty of books, videos and internet articles about it that you can freely take advantage of.
It's not possible to explain the game and all of its intricacies in a few sentences.
I didn't say "I was INTERESTED in learning about it"! What I said was "I don't have any interest in the game whatsoever, but with a bit of help, I might be able to understand it better!" which has a different meaning. My missus tries to explain sci-fi films to me. I know what she means, but it doesn't mean that I will watch!

Gazolba

I didn't say "I was INTERESTED in learning about it"! What I said was "I don't have any interest in the game whatsoever, but with a bit of help, I might be able to understand it better!" which has a different meaning. My missus tries to explain sci-fi films to me. I know what she means, but it doesn't mean that I will watch!
I still don't understand why you would want to understand something you have zero interest in, but try this for a start:
Cricket - Wikipedia

Gazolba

I have NEVER understood the game of cricket, but I know there is a huge following of the game. I just can't get my head round the rules, e.g.:
Why are games played over days on end, yet some (20/20 I believe) can be over in a day?
How is a win scored? By runs? By wickets taken?
Why are the fielding positions given daft names like "silly mid on", "silly mid off" etc.
What's a follow-on? Why do teams want to avoid it? This only applies to two-innings games where teams normally bat in this order ABAB. If team A gets a big score and team B gets a very low score, team B may be asked to bat again (making the order ABBA (this has nothing to do with the Swedish pop group). This is a disadvantage since it means the other team gets to bat last - which is usually an advantage since you know how many runs you need. Follow-on - Wikipedia
Why are games played over days on end, yet some (20/20 I believe) can be over in a day? There are different forms of cricket 5-day games, 3-day games and limited overs games. Each have their own rules. Cricket is evolving and limited overs games are becoming more popular. Forms of cricket - Wikipedia
How is a win scored? By runs? By wickets taken? By runs scored. But if rain or bad light stops play, they use a mathematical formula to determine who wins. Duckworth–Lewis method - Wikipedia
Why are the fielding positions given daft names like "silly mid on", "silly mid off" etc. Fielding (cricket) - Wikipedia

Now, I'll just wait for someone to say my answers are incorrect.

Houchens Head

I still don't understand why you would want to understand something you have zero interest in, but try this for a start:
Cricket - Wikipedia
I have zero interest in many things in life, but still like to understand what they're all about. Being "interested" and "understanding" are two different things. For example, I don't understand the Islamic religion, but I'm interested in the workings of it simply to understand why its so-called "followers" are like what they are. I didn't expect a long winded debate and questioning as to why I posted on the game of cricket, but then you've always disliked me due to my "prediction league" skills eh?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Few of the media saying Jennings will keep his place for the 4th test.

For me the 4th Test & 3 test series v the West Indies you pick your batsmen for the first ashes test.

Ie you've got to stick with Jennings.
Personally I would give Stoneman a run for the remaining 4 Tests but that opener position is a big problem now heading towards the Ashes.

The day nighter at Edgbaston v WI you pick your strongest side then the final 2 tests v WI maybe mix and match the bowlers give another spinner a go and a younger seamer that'll be going to Aus.

Gazolba

I have zero interest in many things in life, but still like to understand what they're all about. Being "interested" and "understanding" are two different things. For example, I don't understand the Islamic religion, but I'm interested in the workings of it simply to understand why its so-called "followers" are like what they are. I didn't expect a long winded debate and questioning as to why I posted on the game of cricket, but then you've always disliked me due to my "prediction league" skills eh?
I don't dislike you, and I'm still the only person that took time to answer your cricket questions.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Comprehensive series win in the end.

Delighted for Ali.

Still ALOT of questions in the batting line up.

Westley should keep his place for the first 2 tests of the West Indies series, Malan deserves another go.

Be interesting to see if Woakes comes back in next week.

It appears Hameed will open in place of Jennings.

Hales smashes a double hundred at 5 today for Notts but he really isnt the answer for me but Malan fails again his name will be touted again.
We just need a gritty player at 5 for me with Stokes onwards following not sure another free spirit is the answer.

Should hammer the West Indies, I'm sure Anderson, Broad & Stokes will be rested in the 2nd or 3rd test if all going well.
Give a couple of the Ashes squad players a run out.

Otis

No chance we we would consider bringing Jos Buttler back in and then you can just push Bairstow back into a batting only role?

I know Buttler at test level hasn't been as strong as in one dayers. Tests 18, 6 50's, highest score 85, average 31.36.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

No chance we we would consider bringing Jos Buttler back in and then you can just push Bairstow back into a batting only role?

I know Buttler at test level hasn't been as strong as in one dayers. Tests 18, 6 50's, highest score 85, average 31.36.

He's not been in any form in the 4 day game this season. I'd take Ben Foakes as the back up 4 day keeper to Aus.

Just thought middle order of Stokes, Woakes & Foakes!

Gazolba

Still need a couple more reliable batsmen. I'd go for Hameed as opener.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Been wondering, can you take your own beers in or have I gotta buy from the bars in the ground?

No cans or bottles unfortunately!

Haven't been for a couple of years to Edgbaston heard international games £5.40 for a pint of lager!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Dagnabbit!
I hope the real ale is cheaper.

Don't think you'll get much change out of a fiver for a pint of anything!

Saw a picture on twitter of a bloke who'd got some into the SA series by putting cans in a hollowed out French stick!

Reactions: vow

vow

Don't think you'll get much change out of a fiver for a pint of anything!

Saw a picture on twitter of a bloke who'd got some into the SA series by putting cans in a hollowed out French stick!
Ha! I may have to smuggle a Malt in me hip flask down me trousers!

Just read this on Edgbastons Facebook page: Edgbaston Cricket Ground
"Unfortunately when I arrived at the ground I went to the bar and was served a pint of cleaning fluid which hadn't been pulled through the pipes. Even more unfor...tunately I didn't realise until I had taken a mouthful. What followed was 20 minutes of swilling my mouth out with water. Even more surprising was the barmaid who said "another one". Clearly this was not the first time this had happened! At least I hadn't swallowed it. Very very dangerous. I'm not usually one for complaining but this was scary and unpleasant. Shame because it was a good game."

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Ha! I may have to smuggle a Malt in me hip flask down me trousers!

Just read this on Edgbastons Facebook page: Edgbaston Cricket Ground
"Unfortunately when I arrived at the ground I went to the bar and was served a pint of cleaning fluid which hadn't been pulled through the pipes. Even more unfor...tunately I didn't realise until I had taken a mouthful. What followed was 20 minutes of swilling my mouth out with water. Even more surprising was the barmaid who said "another one". Clearly this was not the first time this had happened! At least I hadn't swallowed it. Very very dangerous. I'm not usually one for complaining but this was scary and unpleasant. Shame because it was a good game."

Whatever he got served probably has more alcohol in it than anything we'll get!!

Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread