All purpose cricket thread (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Haven't been watching it today as I was travelling to Scotland but just seen the highlights and it was piss poor. The only saving grace is that we know how poor they bat!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Haven't been watching it today as I was travelling to Scotland but just seen the highlights and it was piss poor. The only saving grace is that we know how poor they bat!

Take out Stokes innings, Gabriel & Roach's bowling the rest of the batting , bowling & fielding you'll see better on park grounds tomorrow.

Lowest quality international cricket I've ever witnessed in years, bizzare day but sets the test up a bit more than the last!

Last edited:

Gazolba

If they'd have taken they're catches we'd have struggled to make 100.
How could that be? I thought they were supposed to be a Division 2 side?

chiefdave

How could that be? I thought they were supposed to be a Division 2 side?
Nothing to do with the opposition, it was England's batting. Don't think there was a single wicket that was a result of good bowling, it was down to poor shot selection and lack of concentration.

Play like that often and England would be Div 3, play like that in the Ashes and they'll be slaughtered.

Gazolba

West Indies doing pretty well for a team consigned to Division 2 just a few days ago.
Maybe England should be in Division 2 instead..

Gazolba

Surely the Westley experiment is over. My vote goes to Hameed.
Possibly bring Hales back in.
Stoneman and Malan worth pursuing a bit longer as I don't think we have any great undiscovered batsmen.

Grendel

West Indies doing pretty well for a team consigned to Division 2 just a few days ago.
Maybe England should be in Division 2 instead..

The bowling in the last session would have embarrassed a pub team. The last over was a fitting summary to a woeful game

Terry Gibson's perm

If he'd have carried last seasons form on he'd have been in with a very good shout!

I reckon Hameed will be fast tracked back in and they'll try and get him as much red ball cricket as possible to hope he finds some form

If he can get a good end of season for, and carry it into next year he will be in a prime position as some who go to Australia this winter may come back with their chance gone westley and Ballance will be done if they have bad winters ( yes I think ballance may get a touring place) and stoneman will be struggling.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

If he can get a good end of season for, and carry it into next year he will be in a prime position as some who go to Australia this winter may come back with their chance gone westley and Ballance will be done if they have bad winters ( yes I think ballance may get a touring place) and stoneman will be struggling.

All to play for in the last month of championship fixtures that start tomorrow tomorrow.

Genuinely fear this Ashes campaign is going to be a complete and utter disaster!

eastwoodsdustman

I really like him as a player but worry that Hameed plays with his hands too low and will always be laible to broken hands/fingers unless he can adjust his technique.
He could be in big trouble if he turns up at the WACA playing with his hands so low.

Otis

All to play for in the last month of championship fixtures that start tomorrow tomorrow.

Genuinely fear this Ashes campaign is going to be a complete and utter disaster!

We've got some excellent batsmen and some very good bowlers, but worryingly, we have a soft underbelly and you are always waiting for the next batting collapse.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

England are really lacking pace none of the bowlers are express and the batting looks fragile

Agree, we 80-85mph up and down bowlers in Aussie conditions and a spinner who won't rip through teams.

A lot on Cook and Root to produce at the top and 6-9 aren't going to come off every time it seems one at the minute stands up with a 50 but if we are 60-5 v Aus it's more than likely to be 100 all out as opposed to another 200 scored by the lower order.

I do hope Hameed can gain some form and get him in at 3, like I said previously if we can see off the new ball and after 30 overs we are 60-1 in each innings you'd take that!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

We've got some excellent batsmen and some very good bowlers, but worryingly, we have a soft underbelly and you are always waiting for the next batting collapse.
For me we have-

2 world class batsmen
3 good counter attacking batsmen on their day (but it's rare all 3 or 2 click together) usually 1 having a cameo.

1 world class bowler in the right conditions but ageing.
1 bowler (Broad) that one in 10 inns will have a spell and blow away 3/4 of the oppo in a 10 over spell.

Otis

For me we have-

2 world class batsmen
3 good counter attacking batsmen on their day (but it's rare all 3 or 2 click together) usually 1 having a cameo.

1 world class bowler in the right conditions but ageing.
1 bowler (Broad) that one in 10 inns will have a spell and blow away 3/4 of the oppo in a 10 over spell.
Take it for the batsmen, the two that are world class are Cook and Root and the other three are Stokes, Bairstow and Ali?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Take it for the batsmen, the two that are world class are Cook and Root and the other three are Stokes, Bairstow and Ali?

You've got it.
Think that's a fair enough shout?

A good thing is the England Lions squad are in Aus on a tour Oct/Nov think overlaps with first 2 tests, so if a couple of players star out their on that tour I'd expect call ups from that squad.

Also maybe could prep to send Hameed, etc out on that tour to get used to conditions, get some form etc

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Aus having a torrid time against Bangladesh (always great to see) but it's only day 2 & before people start comparing it's a different ball game in the subcontinent and won't count for anything going into the Ashes, but that doesn't stop me wanting Bangladesh to turn them over!!

chiefdave

Potential for a decent finish here although the sun baking the wicket isn't going to help, unless Ali can do something with it. If we can keep going and setup a half decent run chase could be good.

Otis

You have to fancy England here. Anything over 250 was going to be a challenge. Over 300 massively favours the fielding side.

Gazolba

Bit of a risky declaration. They could easily knock off those runs if a couple of batsmen get in. If we got 490, why couldn't they get 322?

Otis

Bit of a risky declaration. They could easily knock off those runs if a couple of batsmen get in. If we got 490, why couldn't they get 322?
Last day. Rough patches on the pitch. Look at the stats historically. Hardly any team is successful chasing over 300.

Windies go for it they are much more likely to lose wickets in playing shots.

I would suggest 321 is more than enough for us.

Gazolba

Judging by the scores, the pitch is getting easier to play, not harder.
258, 427, 490, ?

Grendel

Only one overseas team has managed it in the history of test cricket at headingly

Grendel

Judging by the scores, the pitch is getting easier to play, not harder.
258, 427, 490, ?

Cricket isn't your thing is it?

Users who are viewing this thread