All purpose cricket thread (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Good declaration, a decision Cook or Strauss wouldn't have made so fair play to Root. I reckon Windies will get 230 all out after tea tomorrow and England will have the series wrapped up.

Don't think it's a declaration Root would have made 1st test in Brisbane and probably rightly so.

But momentum today and in the afternoon session all with England
Shame they didn't nick one out tonight.

But I'm all for giving yourself the best chance of winning whilst dangling a carrot for the opposition.

Gazolba

Cricket isn't your thing is it?
That remains to be seen.
However, from a statistical point of view since the previous innings scores were 258, 427 and 490+, the pitch is getting easier.
And you could argue that since WI beat our first innings score by 169, if they did the same for the second innings they could get 490+169=659.
Obviously they won't have time to score than many. But 322 should be within reach.

Otis

That remains to be seen.
However, from a statistical point of view since the previous innings scores were 258, 427 and 490+, the pitch is getting easier.
And you could argue that since WI beat our first innings score by 169, if they did the same for the second innings they could get 490+169=659.
Obviously they won't have time to score than many. But 322 should be within reach.
Keep on dreaming.

Clearly odds on an England win.

Last edited:

superskyblue

You've got it.
Think that's a fair enough shout?

A good thing is the England Lions squad are in Aus on a tour Oct/Nov think overlaps with first 2 tests, so if a couple of players star out their on that tour I'd expect call ups from that squad.

Also maybe could prep to send Hameed, etc out on that tour to get used to conditions, get some form etc

I would put Bairstow in the world-class keeper/batsmen category - I can't think of any better at the moment. De Kock perhaps but not even sure of that after his tour to England.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I guess so on both, I think the current quality at test match international level is low on years/decades gone by.

But if comparing against their current peers both would get in a current world 11 side.

Grendel

That remains to be seen.

No because in the history of test cricket it rarely happens - and the wickets deteriorating

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

How unlucky was Hope there.

Very, but it's a fairly common dismissal but I always wonder do you really need to backup so far in a Test, start 2/3 yards further back and walk in with the bowler but always be behind the crease.

2020 you need to be on your toes a couple of yards advantage can help a quick single turn a 1 to 2 etc

chiefdave

So what are we looking at, about 150 off 45 overs with 8 wickets left. The run rate isn't going to be a problem, England are going to have to bowl them out and at the moment they don't look like doing that.

Otis

So what are we looking at, about 150 off 45 overs with 8 wickets left. The run rate isn't going to be a problem, England are going to have to bowl them out and at the moment they don't look like doing that.
You have to say hats off to the Windies if they do it.

Haven't watched today, but the Beeb are saying Woakes is out of sorts this innings

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Windies have batted very well, bowlings not been up to much considering conditions but pitch has played very very well for 5th day in dry conditions.

Cook takes that catch early this morning it'd probably been a decent game.

But the Windies deserve to win it.

Last edited:

Otis

And they will be added to the list of history makers. Hardly ever does a team batting fourth get anything like 300+ runs.

vow

Exciting climax....New ball now taken!

Grendel

Actually it's probably the most lamentable performance ny England since s game in New Zealand in the late 70's. One of the occasional games that boycott was in charge

Forget cook - if West Indies could field we'd have lost yesterday.

Lazy and apathetic beyond belief. The only time West Indies did this before was in the early 80's. This team isn't to compare.

Root looks a boycott type captain - I.e. Incompetent and the team looked arrogant and uninterested.

Piss poor.

Gazolba

I'd make a comment, but I don't know anything about cricket.

Grendel

Covstu

Root is getting a lot of criticism for the declaration. I had the declaration at 500 to have any chance of getting them out but he is being Called inexperienced etc etc. Personally I would rather have a captain that goes for the win and show some guts. Fair play and well played to the windies

chiefdave

Root is getting a lot of criticism for the declaration. I had the declaration at 500 to have any chance of getting them out but he is being Called inexperienced etc etc. Personally I would rather have a captain that goes for the win and show some guts. Fair play and well played to the windies
If he'd have left it later there would have been little chance of a win. That wasn't a pitch you were going to get 10 out on if they decided to shut up shop.

Would much prefer captains to declare and make a game of it.

Covstu

If he'd have left it later there would have been little chance of a win. That wasn't a pitch you were going to get 10 out on if they decided to shut up shop.

Agree but the purists are going nuts saying Strauss and cook would have dug in. They probably would have but I don't think we would have lasted too much longer anyway

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Like I said last night v that West Indies side, the overcast conditions forecast for today and knowing a win would seal the series it was the right thing to do.

First test of the Ashes imo shouldn't and probably wouldn't in similar position.

Good declaration, sometimes a side bats well, you bowl average field more than below par and it'll happen! Roots probably learnt a hell of a lot more today than the 3 day showing at Edgbaston.

Hopefully it's given the squad a kick up the backside!

Reactions: vow

Covstu

Like I said last night v that West Indies side, the overcast conditions forecast for today and knowing a win would seal the series it was the right thing to do.

First test of the Ashes imo shouldn't and probably wouldn't in similar position.

Good declaration, sometimes a side bats well, you bowl average field more than below par and it'll happen! Roots probably learnt a hell of a lot more today than the 3 day showing at Edgbaston.

Hopefully it's given the squad a kick up the backside!
But let's hope that doesn't knock his decision making either

Grendel

When you are winning a series it's unforgivable. Do it again and he'll be history.

Grendel

But let's hope that doesn't knock his decision making either

What like bottling it when winning the toss and not putting the opposition in to bat who'd been bowled out twice in a day in the last game.

This is the most lamantable captaincy I've seen in 40 years - perhaps 30 if you include Botham. It was shocking.

chiefdave

Hang on a minute, yesterday when Gazolba said the declaration might be a bit too soon you said he knew nothing about cricket.
Only one overseas team has managed it in the history of test cricket at headingly
Cricket isn't your thing is it?
Now you're saying its unforgivable!
When you are winning a series it's unforgivable. Do it again and he'll be history.
I'm beginning to think you might not be a real person but a bot Nick has put on the forum that automatically posts the opposite of what everyone else says.

Grendel

Hang on a minute, yesterday when Gazolba said the declaration might be a bit too soon you said he knew nothing about cricket.

Now you're saying its unforgivable!

I'm beginning to think you might not be a real person but a bot Nick has put on the forum that automatically posts the opposite of what everyone else says.

No I said as a captain it's deemed an unforgivable act by selectors to lose from that position - not, as you said, an opportunity to let someone win.

This was a shambolic defeat for several reasons;

1. He should not have batted first when winning the toss given the morale of the opposition and the fragility. We were on the back foot from then.

2. Playing Woakes given his obvious lack of match practice and fitness was absurd. He would have known the condition of Woakes when setting the target.

3. Despite his obvious issues with Woakes he over bowled Anderson and Broad in the first session and didn't even bowl Stokes until nearly lunchtime. Anderson and broad looked spent after tea as he clearly had little confidence in the rest of the seam attack.

4. He played attacking fields far too long into the innings and didn't seem to even attempt run saving until well into the second session.

This was as bad as it gets. It's a terrible West Indies side and now he's already overseen two abject performances this summer.

If he somehow manages to screw up the next test he should step aside. He reminds me of the Botham style of captain. Botham great player as he was was an unmitigated disaster as captain.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Thriller of a test in Bangladesh with the hosts beating the Aussies by 20 runs.

Shakib probably pips Stokes to the best all rounder in world cricket at the moment, superb player!

chiefdave

This has got to be a first.
A County Championship game was abandoned after an arrow fired from outside the ground landed on the field.

Spectators watching Surrey's match with Middlesex were asked to take cover and the players taken off after the crossbow bolt was shot into The Oval.

Armed police carried out a "controlled evacuation" of the ground after the incident was reported at 16:35 BST.

A Met Police statement said the incident "is not being treated as terrorism-related".

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Edgbaston confirmed for India test starting Wednesday 1st August

2020 England v Aus Wednesday 27th June

2020 finals day Saturday 15th September

Users who are viewing this thread