America (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Yeah, for me it’s those type of places and Man v Food that are the fun to visit in the states. A lot are far better than the mid/lower range stuff we get here
Yeah, we seem to have either really good independent places or crappy chains, but not much in the middle

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well they do for Petrol, yes it is super annoying but there is sort of a reason, let us say you are Tesco and every store is subject to a different tax rate, not just a common rate but categories are different. You can have State taxes, County and Town plus special districts and all sorts of other weird stuff.
I understand the reason but it's fucking annoying. If I'm in that particular store surely that particular store can work out the particular taxes that particular store has to add on.

robbiekeane

This is what I wanted. The few i tried were shite.
You genuinely just went to the wrong places mate. Joes pizza or bleaker street or something in the village. Almost any of the taco trucks, down to china town for incredible Asian street food. If you went to Italian Harlem too also amazing.

As someone else said if you venture to the outer Burroughs too you can get such good internationale cuisine, especially in queens

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Just arrived into New Orleans for Halloween weekend.

Been in the US for about six weeks now and so far would say:

New York - an experience but a bit overrated
Boca Raton, Florida - Amazing
Gainesville, Florida - Dodgy as fuck
Miami - see NYC
Washington DC - Nice
Suburban and rural Virginia - Nice
West Virginia - bit of a dump
Pittsburgh - Different, but also a bit shit

Will be driving back down to Miami next week before coming back to Europe for a fortnight or so. Looking forward to dropping in on a couple of the southern states on the way.

robbiekeane

Miami - see NYC
Washington DC - Nice

Will be driving back down to Miami next week before coming back to Europe for a fortnight or so. Looking forward to dropping in on a couple of the southern states on the way.
Lol Florida

Fysnkysc

Miami - see NYC
Washington DC - Nice

I went for mardi gras (probably buchered the spelling), if Halloween hype is even 10% of mardi gras it will be amazing.

Como

I understand the reason but it's fucking annoying. If I'm in that particular store surely that particular store can work out the particular taxes that particular store has to add on.
I have never had that problem, that would be annoying.

It also used to be that Beer was tax inclusive in a bar but that seems to have changed, hidden price rise.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Miami - see NYC
Washington DC - Nice

Charleston, SC is wonderful. Recommended.

stay_up_skyblues

Currently looking for somewhere in the USA for my 40th late 2025, child free. Provisionally plumped for Lake Tahoe as wanted something a bit different and rural. Have done New York, Vegas, LA and Miami in years gone by and have the non stop 40 mile a day on foot theme park holiday to Orlando with the kids in august this year and want to tone it right down.

The idea is for something very scenic and quieter but not so filthy as going off grid. For anyone who has been, can a teetotal 40 year old and his wife fill a week in Lake Tahoe ? It looks like the Lake District on steroids which is what we’re after really.

Como

Sierra Nevada is my new favourite beer.

Very much depends what you mean by late and what you like doing, it is a ski town in winter and not sure I would go to a ski town in season if I did not ski.

Currently looking at PV systems but I doubt that is what you meant.

stay_up_skyblues

Sierra Nevada is my new favourite beer.

Very much depends what you mean by late and what you like doing, it is a ski town in winter and not sure I would go to a ski town in season if I did not ski.

Currently looking at PV systems but I doubt that is what you meant.

Thanks. October half term and we’ve never ski’d (and are too old to start 🤣). Will have a wider look around.

Como

October is dead season at the ski resorts, the time you do maintenance, your staff have their hols, most now have quite a good summer business. So if you want to go when it will be not very busy...

I remember being in Vail at this time it has its advantages.

RegTheDonk

For our SBA brothers living over there (and Eastern Canada), any of you in the path of this solar eclipse in a few weeks time? Post some pics if you can please - missed the one here a few years ago, it was typically cloudy :(

Last edited:

PVA

Currently looking for somewhere in the USA for my 40th late 2025, child free. Provisionally plumped for Lake Tahoe as wanted something a bit different and rural. Have done New York, Vegas, LA and Miami in years gone by and have the non stop 40 mile a day on foot theme park holiday to Orlando with the kids in august this year and want to tone it right down.

The idea is for something very scenic and quieter but not so filthy as going off grid. For anyone who has been, can a teetotal 40 year old and his wife fill a week in Lake Tahoe ? It looks like the Lake District on steroids which is what we’re after really.

How about Yosemite? Incredible place

messiahrobins

Miami - see NYC
Washington DC - Nice

Go and watch the tennis in Miami at the hard Rock Stadium. Alcaraz Sinner Medvedev will all be there. Its not as good a venue as Indian Wells, which is magnificent but if you are in Miami its worth a look

ccfcno9

How about Yosemite? Incredible place
I'll second that, we flew into San Francisco did Alcatraz,golden, gate bridge and tourist bits there then road trip to Yosemite which was way better than my expectations we stayed at Tenaya Lodge in fish camp which was really nice. You need to watch that some roads are impassable/closed very late in the year though.

Como

I just got a notification about tickets for the Red clash, I get ticket deals through work.

Arsenal vs Man U and nothing near me, my deal prices started at $95 and go up to over $2k.

Sick Boy

CCFCSteve

What a choice…

Frightening

Otis

What a choice…

Mad isn't it. Why on earth would he come out with that?

And you also get bullshit like this...

Trump criticising Jimmy Kimmel over his hosting the Oscars.

Screenshot_2024-04-19-07-23-01-42_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Just about everything he says there is wrong.

He says there was a ratings drop and the ratings actually went up and up to a 4 year high

He says Kimmel stumbled through the biggest award. That was Al Pacino. Kimmel didn't present any awards at all. He was the host. The hosts don't present any awards.

He says Kimmel forgot to say "the winner is" and again, that was Pacino and no-one says "the winner is" anyway. It's "the Oscar goes to "

He says that Kimmel stammered around as he opened the envelope. The host doesn't touch any of the envelopes. Again, that was Al Pacino.

I guess if you are going to get anything wrong, you might as well go the whole hog and get everything wrong.

Shit choice isn't it.

Como

You know it is bad when CNN cover it.

Fact check: Biden makes false and misleading claims during Pennsylvania campaign swing​

Washington
CNN

President Joe Biden spent three days this week campaigning in the critical swing state of Pennsylvania. He littered his remarks with false and misleading claims on subjects ranging from his annual earnings to his cap on seniors’ prescription drug spending to the demographics of China to the frequency of his past travel to Iraq and Afghanistan.

And in Biden’s most eyebrow-raising remarks of the campaign swing, he told and then retold a story in which he strongly suggested his late uncle, Ambrose Finnegan, was eaten by cannibals after his plane was shot down while he fought in World War II. Biden’s dramatic details don’t match the Defense Department’s official account of the plane crash.

Users who are viewing this thread