Andy Thorn should be next Coventry City manager, says Marlon King (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

3105444-pm1358223dj090411city_46_596_414.jpg

Marlon King says Andy Thorn and Steve Harrison are doing a brilliant job.

Thorn’s partnership with coach Steve Harrison has produced seven goals and five points from four matches with 3 of the matches being away games and has got the player's playing entertaining football which has got the fan's on his side.

Speaking to the "CT" Marlon King said.

“Thorny and H have taken over the reins brilliantly,” said King after a bitter-sweet performance at Pride Park on Saturday when he scored the second goal as Coventry opened up a 2-0 lead but then conceded the penalty that gifted Derby an equaliser.
“He’s not someone who is new to the club.

"He has been around it and been a pro for many years, as has Steve Harrison who has had a good career in management, so the club is in comfortable hands with those two and the boys have responded.

“It’s all right touting big names around but that never guarantees you success.
"Thorny and H have been here a long time – they know the club inside out and they know the players.

“Their message is to go out and express ourselves, give all we’ve got and not worry about what’s going on.

"And that’s what the boys have been doing.

“We are really enjoying our football and don’t look like a side who are where we are in the league – we are looking at how many places we can jump rather than fall and if you can see from the way we are playing that we’re not going out there with any fear.
“Relegation has not been part of the conversation in the dressing room because we believe in ourselves, and going on the first 40 minutes at Derby you would have thought we were at the top end of the table rather than where we are.”

King, brought to the Sky Blues by his mentor Aidy Boothroyd, Helped Thorn's chances of landing the job by notching his eight goal. For his celebration he ran over to Andy Thorn with other team-members for a team hug.

Speaking to the "CT" Andy Thorn said.

“That was nice,” said Thorn, “even if they did ruin my shirt!
"I don’t know if they were making a point, but the reaction I’ve had from them has been brilliant.

“It’s a sign of how far we’ve come that we’re all disappointed that we haven’t taken three points from Pride Park where we haven’t got a great record.

"We played some terrific stuff but although our attitude and application was bang-on for 85 minutes we had a sloppy spell for five minutes and got punished for it.

“A lot of teams would have gone under after a setback like that but we showed real character and we were trying to win the game right until the end so I’m not going to dwell on the negatives because there were so many positives

“We’ve changed a lot in a short period of time and I’m proud of what we’re doing, proud of the way we’re playing.

"It’s onwards and upwards for the team and as far as I’m concerned I’ll just carry on doing the job the club have asked me to do.
"Who knows where it will end up?”

Last edited:

rob9872

Can we read anything into this? Would Marlon stay if we appoint AT? That in itself should be reason enough to give him a shot. Who knows, if Marlon and AT stay could that snowball the effect that Westy and Gunnar may follow suit?

I know it seems unlikely, but imo the best signings we make this summer could be to hold onto what we've got. Some of the others around them will be older, more experienced and injury free. With a solid pre-season in them we may not need much more to lift us a good way up this league.

sky blue john

Can we read anything into this? Would Marlon stay if we appoint AT? That in itself should be reason enough to give him a shot. Who knows, if Marlon and AT stay could that snowball the effect that Westy and Gunnar may follow suit?

I know it seems unlikely, but imo the best signings we make this summer could be to hold onto what we've got. Some of the others around them will be older, more experienced and injury free. With a solid pre-season in them we may not need much more to lift us a good way up this league.

Hi Rob, You've definately got the sky blue goggles on this morning:)
Sisu will not be offering contracts to anyone. They only have enough money to get us to the end of the season sorry mate these are the facts. Andy Thorn is already on the pay roll and Sisu can't afford to change the situation even if they wanted. Dark times are ahead and will hit us sooner than we think !!!
But i do sympathise with you that fantasy is better than reality.

sotv1987

Hi Rob, You've definately got the sky blue goggles on this morning:)
Sisu will not be offering contracts to anyone. They only have enough money to get us to the end of the season sorry mate these are the facts. Andy Thorn is already on the pay roll and Sisu can't afford to change the situation even if they wanted. Dark times are ahead and will hit us sooner than we think !!!
But i do sympathise with you that fantasy is better than reality.

Ohh dear, who's slapped your tits this morning John??? i think Rob is right to look on the bright side, we played really well on Saturday, and when the Hoff and RR take over, the only way is up!!! KEEP THE FAITH JOHN!!!!!

sky blue john

I applaud anyone looking on the bright side I just think Sisu will really do a number on us and I can't see them going untill they have left us right in the sticky stuff.

rob9872

Whilst we sing together :)
PUSB

Rich

I thought with us being from the midlands (common) it was while we sing together not whilst. You learn something every day I suppose.

Disorganised1

All this Thorn for manager stuff, lets not get carried away, the boy done good so far, but Boothroyd had us in the top 6 at Christmas ~ without King.

Rich

All this Thorn for manager stuff, lets not get carried away, the boy done good so far, but Boothroyd had us in the top 6 at Christmas ~ without King.

Thorn has managed 5 points from what 12? Not bad, beginners luck just like AB had? Had AB lost the dressing room, but built a good team? Anyone that comes in to manage this group and ask them to play football should stand a chance of getting results.

This is not to say that I'm not mightly impressed already.

rob9872

I thought with us being from the midlands (common) it was while we sing together not whilst. You learn something every day I suppose.

Tbh I don't know for sure. I always say "whilst" but have heard and read both versions.

I guess that it's like other song lyrics and once you have them wrong in your head, you can't help but sing them. I automatically associate "Greasy Lover" for Easy Lover (after Vic and Bob to Mark Lamarr on Shooting Stars) and can't help wanting to say "Gordon Brown" to the Stranglers classic.

My wife genuinely thought the words to Smooth Criminal were "Eddie are you ok?" - I now take the mickey and sing the wrong words to her everytime we hear it. I know she's bored of the joke and it irritates her now, but still amuses me and will continue to do so :)

Macca

I would be quite surprised to see MK here next season. Thats as far as my predictions go because the off pitch goings on are what will shape next year

smileycov

Facebook User
Thorn has managed 5 points from what 12? Not bad, beginners luck just like AB had? Had AB lost the dressing room, but built a good team? Anyone that comes in to manage this group and ask them to play football should stand a chance of getting results.

Bit harsh, 3 of those games were away. However, we are playing the best football of the season, the same players that were playing under AB, are looking completly different, i cant speak for everyone else but he is a breath of fresh air and i hope he gets the nod!!

kg82

Smiley, completely with you on that one. I already mentioned in another thread that we've had our "big name" managers (for this division anyway) and for whatever reason they didn't work out. The last time a manager looked like he was finding his feet here was Eric Black and he was sacked for no reason. Thorn looks like he's in the same mould as Black and I just hope this board don't make as big a mistake as that one.

Nonleagueherewecome

And it's worth saying Thorn only had King for 2 of his matches, and I reckon we'd have done Watford without him.

In general-it's the hope that kills yer! I genuinely believe that this group of players under this manager playing this style of football (with injured players to return like Turner, Deegan, McPake) would represent the best chance we've had of making the play-offs since relegation.
Will it happen? Pretty bloody unlikely! Either SISU will hawk all our players around and sell them for the first bid, or they'll short-sightedly get rid of Thorn and get in someone like...Brian Laws!!! Or Alan Irvine. If we're lucky.

I'm gonna just enjoy the rest of this season without investing any hopes for the future in it, a bit like I'd try to just have fun if I knew I had a terminal disease:guitar2:

sky blue john

I would think Thorns position is safe Sisu can't afford to do anything else. What sort of team we will have at the start of next season god only knows !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread