Anyone miss walking past here (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Nope. Don't miss it at all, not for a single second.

I am and always have been though a 'move on' kind of guy.

Same with everything. I had a job for 20 years and they then closed the place down and we all got made redundant.

People were walking around in a daze, shocked and some in floods of tears. I just shook a few hands, got in my car and looked towards a new adventure. Didn't miss any of it.

Have never missed HR at all. I constantly changed seats and stands and stood on the Kop and then the West End.

The ground was constantly changing, the main stand and then the Kop and then the west stand and then the M&B stand. Went from standing to all seating in open, to roofes being added. It was constantly changing and evolving.

Had it stayed exactly the same for say 25-30 years I might have felt more affinity with it, but I am the type who just accepts stuff, doesn't look back and moves along.

I like the Ricoh a lot, but if we were to leave there and go somewhere else I don't think I would particularly miss it at all.

HR for the most part was just as soulless as the Ricoh. Some of the views were very poor and we didn't exactly pull up any trees there for many, many years.

Again, if I had been part of the Sky Blue Revolution then maybe I would have felt a bit different, but my first experience of Highfield Road was 3 relegation battle seasons in the late 60's.

I drive past now and don't feel anything at all and just see it as houses with no nostalgic feel at all.

Guess it must just be me.

I think a big part of the nostalgia for me is that it's so intrinsically linked to my childhood. As with most memories as a kid it's very rose tinted and misty eyed, but in a way it was one of the constants during my formative years. Even though I look back now and remember how grubby it was once you got inside...

singers_pore

As a kid my parents and other family members were never into football so I had to pester them for years before they would take me, especially as late 70s was an era of football violence. I used to get goose bumps every time my dad drove past the old Spion Kop and I couldn't wait to get inside. Remember the first time I saw the pitch and being amazed at how green it was having watched MOTD in black and white for many years. Silly really but those things make a big impression when you are a little kid.

skyblue1991

I kind of miss it, however I only went for about 8 years so not as much as a lot of people.

Having said that it was a poor move selling HR and moving to the Ricoh.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

skyblue1991

What league do you think we would be in if that was still our home ?
Interesting question.

Assuming we still owned the statidum I think Championship.

That would've given us a platform for future investment and then who knows where we would've been.

People blame SISU for the club today and rightly so. However this all started off when we sold HR.

Cov kid 55

I think a big part of the nostalgia for me is that it's so intrinsically linked to my childhood. As with most memories as a kid it's very rose tinted and misty eyed, but in a way it was one of the constants during my formative years. Even though I look back now and remember how grubby it was once you got inside...
That's exactly how I see it, the constant in my childhood, my very best memories.

lifeskyblue

So many memories. First in 60s holding dads hand walking up to the ground as he carried a stool up the spion kop for me to stand on. Excitement all the way. Night matches when the ground a capsule of light.
Later with mates on west end...happy happy days.
Back with dad in west stand...out of our seats as we scored.
Perhaps I've just got older but football at the Ricoh just not as memorable

PUSB

Kingokings204

I actually like the Ricoh and its soulless because of the 8-9k crowds in a crap Division of football. Now premier league or top end of the championship getting 25-30k crowds against villa and Midlands teams but also occasional years of Man U Arsenal and Liverpool and beating them once in a while. The place would be rocking and has been before. Some great atmospheres and games at the Ricoh. It's just not fit for purpose in league 1-2.

I even enjoy the match day experience of the walk up and grab a Starbucks then walk under the train line. I enjoy it but when you watch cov v oldham with 8k it isn't as good.

I do miss HR of course and still get sad when I drive past but Ricoh was the and is the better stadium for the future in mind but clearly not with wasps owning it and us in league 2 playing morecombe. It's wrong.

NortonSkyBlue

I actually like the Ricoh and its soulless because of the 8-9k crowds in a crap Division of football. Now premier league or top end of the championship getting 25-30k crowds against villa and Midlands teams but also occasional years of Man U Arsenal and Liverpool and beating them once in a while. The place would be rocking and has been before. Some great atmospheres and games at the Ricoh. It's just not fit for purpose in league 1-2.

I even enjoy the match day experience of the walk up and grab a Starbucks then walk under the train line. I enjoy it but when you watch cov v oldham with 8k it isn't as good.

I do miss HR of course and still get sad when I drive past but Ricoh was the and is the better stadium for the future in mind but clearly not with wasps owning it and us in league 2 playing morecombe. It's wrong.
I agree, I like the Ricoh as a stadium, I hate the fact it belongs to another sporting club, I am incredulous how we got to this point.
It is just not a part of my life like HR was and always will be, I suppose that just a fact of when I was born and when I was inducted into a Sky Blue life.
Who among us can remember laying on the stair well between the west end and west stand to watch a game, who remembers the Sky Blue Buttery on the side of the main stand?, who spent time in the onsite police room at the side of the west end? Who remember the walk way at the back of the west end when you had to walk past the away fans to get to our sections?, who remembers when the demarcation between the home and away fans was just an aisle and you could chat to, abuse away fans at the risk of a clip around your ear from the Police?, who marveled at Gibbo, Hutch, Hunt, Carr, Mortimer, up to the Dublin, Keane and Garry Mac?
That is all the Ricoh lacks and sadly may never have.

olderskyblue

Nope. Don't miss it at all, not for a single second.

I am and always have been though a 'move on' kind of guy.

Same with everything. I had a job for 20 years and they then closed the place down and we all got made redundant.

People were walking around in a daze, shocked and some in floods of tears. I just shook a few hands, got in my car and looked towards a new adventure. Didn't miss any of it.

Have never missed HR at all. I constantly changed seats and stands and stood on the Kop and then the West End.

The ground was constantly changing, the main stand and then the Kop and then the west stand and then the M&B stand. Went from standing to all seating in open, to roofes being added. It was constantly changing and evolving.

Had it stayed exactly the same for say 25-30 years I might have felt more affinity with it, but I am the type who just accepts stuff, doesn't look back and moves along.

I like the Ricoh a lot, but if we were to leave there and go somewhere else I don't think I would particularly miss it at all.

HR for the most part was just as soulless as the Ricoh. Some of the views were very poor and we didn't exactly pull up any trees there for many, many years.

Again, if I had been part of the Sky Blue Revolution then maybe I would have felt a bit different, but my first experience of Highfield Road was 3 relegation battle seasons in the late 60's.

I drive past now and don't feel anything at all and just see it as houses with no nostalgic feel at all.

Guess it must just be me.

It's not just you otis. I don't miss it, even though I watched the sky blue revolution happening, was there against Sunderland, ManU in the cup with huge crowds, and Wolves of course. Great occasions, and that's what I miss. Not the ground. Like you, I moved around in the ground. Kop when I was young with uncles and cousins, then West End for years and years, then Main stand, sky blue stand, back to Kop occasionally.

It's nice having pictures of the Derby game, and walking down memory lane of course. Although the only hang over from that period for me is that it was ours at least. If the Ricoh was ours, and painted sky blue, maybe more would like it, and it's been shown that 11,000 fans there can make quite an atmosphere when bunched together. When we were getting over 20K there, it was quite an atmosphere wasn't it?

Let's not forget, there were many games at HR with 12K ish crowds where it was cemetery quiet...

shmmeee

The final day was great, I imagine the old days of the 60s were great.

But for me HR is shitty side streets with no parking for miles, taking ages to get out through a dodgy as fuck area of the city, pillars in front of your view, no chance of ever getting a drink or a pie at HT, tiny seats and usually an atmosphere like a library.

Nick

Administrator
I'd prefer to be there still. No idea how much of it would have fallen apart!

Was always better walking up to there than it is the Ricoh, finding a random parking spot ages away and swaggering up to the ground.

Otis

I'd prefer to be there still. No idea how much of it would have fallen apart!

Was always better walking up to there than it is the Ricoh, finding a random parking spot ages away and swaggering up to the ground.
Must confess, I prefer walking up to the Ricoh.

People moan how shitty Far Gosford Street is now, well I don't think I need to tell you, it was a lot shittier back then when we played there.

Otis

The final day was great, I imagine the old days of the 60s were great.

But for me HR is shitty side streets with no parking for miles, taking ages to get out through a dodgy as fuck area of the city, pillars in front of your view, no chance of ever getting a drink or a pie at HT, tiny seats and usually an atmosphere like a library.
I agree with all that, Shmmeee.

Brylowes

I kind of miss it, however I only went for about 8 years so not as much as a lot of people.

Having said that it was a poor move selling HR and moving to the Ricoh.

In hindsight it was a bad move, but it wasn't supposed to be, spectacular mismanagement
By successive owners ensured that, if the move had been managed properly it could have
Provided the club with huge opportunitys, both on and off the pitch.
The reason most people still hanker for HR is because the people who were running the
Club back then and now we're and are shocking, it's not because the Ricoh is shocking.

Last edited:

colin101

Early 60's bus from Keresley End on Friday nights, walk to Highfield Road in time for the 7.30pm kick off, check the corrugated fence near the Spion Kop to see if I could squeeze through. If yes extra sweets if not then pay to go in.
Watch the match, cheers the team, rattle the rattle and walk back for Keresley bus normally buzzing from great result. Great days

bringbackrattles

Loved Highfield Road and loved the Ricoh when we first moved in. In a way I'm like Otis as you have to move on,but nobody can take away memories can they. Stood on the Spion Kop as a kid with my dad,and then in my teenage years went in the West End with my mates. I go up where the ground used to be now and again,and just see flats and houses,and so nothing there to remind me that was where our ground stood.
I tend to think of the great games and players I saw more than the stadium,so with that mindset it helps me to just move on.

Brylowes

Loved Highfield Road and loved the Ricoh when we first moved in. In a way I'm like Otis as you have to move on,but nobody can take away memories can they. Stood on the Spion Kop as a kid with my dad,and then in my teenage years went in the West End with my mates. I go up where the ground used to be now and again,and just see flats and houses,and so nothing there to remind me that was where our ground stood.
I tend to think of the great games and players I saw more than the stadium,so with that mindset it helps me to just move on.
Took my young son upto the site of HIghfield rd as he'd never been to the ground, Have to say
I was saddened to find nothing there that reflected the past and the Contribution that stadium
Had made to this City's history.
Contrast and compare with another famous old stadium and its treatment, Highbury has been
Redeveloped in such a thoughtful and sympathetic way, that shows what can be achieved.
Any nostalgic Gooner could pay a visit to Highbury today and be in absolutely no doubt exactly
Where they are, the same cannot be said for us,

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, I remember the Kop days as a little kid, sat my my dad's shoulders vividly and have warm memories of that.

At the end though I think I had, had a ST in the main stand for 5+ years and it was all pretty much negative, and as that is the freshest memory, that is what I remember the most.

Brylowes

I've always said if I became a billionaire and bought City I would buy all them flats, knock them down and rebuild Highfield Rd! Wouldn't give two fucks if there was nothing left for players.
Of course it HR2 would have a 60,000 capacity!
Ah but Would you rebuild it with the spion kop complete with crows nest and toxic bogs,
Or the east stand.

NortonSkyBlue

Ccfc should try to instigate something like this for wembley
Yes the club should do this but the fans should not need asking for a Wembley final. Sky blue should be wall to wall in our area.
Actually I think we be coordinating how we are supporting the club on the day.

clint van damme

Ah but Would you rebuild it with the spion kop complete with crows nest and toxic bogs,
Or the east stand.
it wouldn't be the same without them!
To be honest, I don't think I stood on the KOP more than a handful of times, West end all the way for me!
Had a ST in the east stand for a few seasons years later.

Moff

For me, I miss HR as it was part of my life and growing up.

I have so many memories, good and bad of games there, and they far outweigh the memories at the Ricoh.

To me the memories of HR are nearly all positive, whilst the Ricoh and its CCCFC link has just been a complete pile of shit from start to finish. Couple that with years of insipid failing football and the utter crap that are our owners, its no wonder I long for days back at HR, a proper ground, and not a soulless bowl.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Interesting question.

Assuming we still owned the statidum I think Championship.

That would've given us a platform for future investment and then who knows where we would've been.

People blame SISU for the club today and rightly so. However this all started off when we sold HR.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing !
If we knew we would have ended up with owners like SISU then there's is NO WAY Highfield Road would have been sold ! :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread