Anyone remember the Spion Kop / HR (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

Looking like this ?
16114960_1274565999291674_7696610403287399575_n.jpg

Bob Latchford

Bob Latchford

Brylowes

When did they get rid of the crows nest, I've been on it in the mid 70s, even as a young kid
I remember thinking it looked like a death trap.

Bob Latchford

georgehudson

T'was the 50's 60's, but when JH came to town I got my s/ticket in the paddock in front of the main stand, used to get to the ground so that we were 1st in as the turnstiles were opened

Bob Latchford

The scoreboard is missing.
Used to stand in the bit standing back (Crowsnest ?) and you could see all the fights below you.
Pre 1967 as floodlights were there when I started.
There used to be fights in the olden days ? thought it was late 70's all that malarkey ??

Ranjit Bhurpa

I Wonder how many used to cram in there, if it had been level at its highest point and
With a roof, we'd have had ourselves a kop to rival anyone's, I would think.
Love old pics of football grounds, especially HR.
I'm sure I've read somewhere the Kop held 17,000 in its' heyday.
Looking at the shape of it, I guess it was impossible to put a roof on it.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Actually back in the 70's I think it was, there were plans to develop the spion Kop and build a massive new stand over Swan Lane,
With the road going underneath the the stand. Which would have increased the capacity of Highfield road massively
And then no need to build the Ricoh. !!! If only.

Brylowes

17000 wouldn't surprise me, a roof would have been impossible, I just meant if you lost the crows nest
And then levelled it out, then plonk a roof on it, would have been an equal to Liverpool, Holte end, SW,
Northbank, Stretford end etc.
Obviously the road running behind it wouldn't allow it, the new east stand had the same shape didn't it
Just not as obvious.

chiefdave

I remember it was flipping cold on Spion Kop at this time of year!
Remember one game against Wimbledon where it was hailing so hard into the Kop it was near impossible to actually face the pitch and watch the game. And just to prove its not a new thing we lost by scoring a late own goal.

rupert_bear

I would say that was mid-fifties, could never work out why the Kop wasn't levelled out as there was quiet a bit of land at the back of the terrace trees, bushes etc, why we ever left HR I'll never know at the time I was massively against and said so regularly on the old GMK site but shouted down by many.

Colin Steins Smile

Remember one game against Wimbledon where it was hailing so hard into the Kop it was near impossible to actually face the pitch and watch the game. And just to prove its not a new thing we lost by scoring a late own goal.
The worst weather I remember being on the top was the match v Sheffield United, during the 3 day week of the early 70's. I bunked off school to attend as it was an afternoon kick off during the week [this was due to the club not being allowed to use the floodlights, due to power shortages]. We were battling relegation and it snowed.....at half time we were losing 2 - 0. I'm sure the only reason the match lasted to half time was so the 14 000 of us didn;t get a refund. Luckily, the match was abandoned and we won the rescheduled match, which kept us up!

Captain Dart

Flying Fokker

The worst weather I remember being on the top was the match v Sheffield United, during the 3 day week of the early 70's. I bunked off school to attend as it was an afternoon kick off during the week [this was due to the club not being allowed to use the floodlights, due to power shortages]. We were battling relegation and it snowed.....at half time we were losing 2 - 0. I'm sure the only reason the match lasted to half time was so the 14 000 of us didn;t get a refund. Luckily, the match was abandoned and we won the rescheduled match, which kept us up!
Season Date Home Score Away Competition

Thu 26 Dec Sheffield United 0 - 3 Coventry City League
Wed 28 Aug Coventry City 3 - 1 Sheffield United League
1990/1991
Sat 04 May Coventry City 0 - 0 Sheffield United League
Sat 27 Oct Sheffield United 0 - 1 Coventry City League
1975/1976
Sat 10 Jan Coventry City 1 - 0 Sheffield United League
Sat 13 Sep Sheffield United 0 - 1 Coventry City League
1974/1975
Fri 28 Mar Coventry City 2 - 2 Sheffield United League
Fri 20 Dec Sheffield United 1 - 0 Coventry City League
1973/1974
Sat 06 Apr Sheffield United 0 - 1 Coventry City League
Sat 24 Nov Coventry City 3 - 1 Sheffield United League
1972/1973
Sat 21 Apr Sheffield United 3 - 1 Coventry City League
Sat 18 Nov Coventry City 3 - 0 Sheffield United League
1971/1972
Tue 18 Apr Coventry City 3 - 2 Sheffield United League
Sat 13 Nov Sheffield United 2 - 0 Coventry City League
1967/1968 Sat 23 Dec Sheffield United 2 - 0 Coventry City League
Sat 26 Aug Coventry City 2 - 2 Sheffield United League

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I stood on the kop throughout the period after the seating was removed until they knocked it down and built a proper stand.
Lets face it , it was crap. :joyful:

Users who are viewing this thread