Applause for terrorism (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody know what that was about? I think there was a bit of confusion somewhere

Otis

Applause for the people of Barcelona wasn't it?

I don't see it makes much difference if it is silence or applause if you want to mark the occasion.

Nick

Administrator
He said there will be a minutes silence and everybody clapped so then people joined in. A bit random

Otis

He said there will be a minutes silence and everybody clapped so then people joined in. A bit random
Well, half the time is nigh on impossible to have the slightest clue what he is saying on the PA system. I hadn't got a clue what he said past 'Barcelona', so when people clapped I just clapped along with them.

AStonesThrow

Well, half the time is nigh on impossible to have the slightest clue what he is saying on the PA system. I hadn't got a clue what he said past 'Barcelona', so when people clapped I just clapped along with them.
I struggle to know what he's on about on the radio half the time!

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Adge

He definitely said silence and applause. I remember at the time thinking surely it can only be one.
Yes he did! I said that at the time. He said "applause and a minutes silence will start on the referees whistle".
giphy.gif

chiefdave

He definitely said silence and applause, presume it's from a script and someone hadn't blanked it out.

Not sure why we have a minutes silence for Barcelona at a Coventry Newport League 2 game anyway. Rate we're going we'll have one every week. Fair enough at the opening game for those who were associated with the club and passed away in the summer but do we really need one for anything that happens anywhere in the world?

covcity4life

He definitely said silence and applause, presume it's from a script and someone hadn't blanked it out.

Not sure why we have a minutes silence for Barcelona at a Coventry Newport League 2 game anyway. Rate we're going we'll have one every week. Fair enough at the opening game for those who were associated with the club and passed away in the summer but do we really need one for anything that happens anywhere in the world?
I have no issue with paying respects

But like you said it dint sit right when you have one for paris and barca but not one for middle east tragedies or even man killed outside mosque by a van terrorist etc

Alan Dugdales Moustache

This is not rocket science. It is totally inappropriate to clap when people have been murdered on the streets. This is not a celebration of the life of Jimmy Hill, Bruce Forsyth, or a fund raising city fan, where we are celebrating the passing of someone who has made a contribution in some way and we show appreciation for what they have given to the club/ world.
Did we applaud for those that died in the blitz ? No.

Otis

This is not rocket science. It is totally inappropriate to clap when people have been murdered on the streets. This is not a celebration of the life of Jimmy Hill, Bruce Forsyth, or a fund raising city fan, where we are celebrating the passing of someone who has made a contribution in some way and we show appreciation for what they have given to the club/ world.
Football was suspended wasn't it?

Was obviously a mistake on the script. Clearly was meant to be a minute silence but once a crowd starts clapping there's not alot you can do. Was very confusing and in the circumstances embarrassing. Unfortunate but it well observed with good intentions so move on.

BackRoomRummermill

we have a bit more morality now , I think ...

letsallsingtogether

He definitely said silence and applause. I remember at the time thinking surely it can only be one.
Yes definitely daid silence followed by applause everyone was confused and joined in when one started clapping...

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Football was suspended wasn't it?
.....during WW2 ? yes
I'm talking about the game at the Ricoh a while back against West Ham . There was a minute's silence for the victims of the Blitz, appropriate given the fact that it impacted on Coventry and the east end.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Come on.....its stupid isn't it.....selecting which particular global human tragedy is worthy of a league 2 clap along......thousands die horrible, violent deaths every day......so let's all clap 24/7 or maybe let's just leave it out completely......no one would have left today grumbling about the lack of a minutes silence (and clapping)......its not compulsory....but it is a bit silly

letsallsingtogether

Come on.....its stupid isn't it.....selecting which particular global human tragedy is worthy of a league 2 clap along......thousands die horrible, violent deaths every day......so let's all clap 24/7 or maybe let's just leave it out completely......no one would have left today grumbling about the lack of a minutes silence (and clapping)......its not compulsory....but it is a bit silly
Iys called football against terrorism.
How long before a football match is targeted somewhere in the world?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Iys called football against terrorism.
How long before a football match is targeted somewhere in the world?

As nick said it's already happened......

Of course football is against terrorism.....If it was pro terrorism then frankly I'd boycott.....unless we got arsenal away in the cup obviously....

....that's fine tho. ....but I do expect several minutes silences/clap alongs at every game at every level during every fixture.....otherwise how will we know all of football is against terrorism.....

Johnnythespider

He said a minutes silence and applause, hence the players clapping. I agree that is an odd thing to say but that's how me and my lad heard it.

ccfcway

I don't think anything outside of football should be mourned at the stadium. Doesn't make sense to me, never has, never will.

doesn't make sense that the camp nou should have a mins silence for a major incident that happened in their city ?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Surely the point is that everyone joined in , isn't it !!!

giphy.gif

Otis

I don't mind it and no-one is forcing anyone to clap and it's also very simple and easy to just keep quiet for 60 seconds.

I also think that it is a mutual respect thing. They showed solidarity with our tragedy, so we show it with theirs.

As I say, doesn't bother me and it's not compulsory to applaud if you don't want to.

Sky Blue Harry H

Haven't read the thread - so, apologies if I'm repeating. The announcer created confusion by saying 'a minutes silence of applause' (he may have said silence or applause); whichever, you clearly can't have both at the same time! As my mate pointed out, applause always negates the one idiot who might call out during any silence, so is often deemed an easier/safer option. I also noted rhythmical clapping at one of the 'gatherings' at a memorial of flowers/candles in Barcelona on the TV yesterday - not sure if that is relevant or not.

Brylowes

I don't mind it and no-one is forcing anyone to clap and it's also very simple and easy to just keep quiet for 60 seconds.

I also think that it is a mutual respect thing. They showed solidarity with our tragedy, so we show it with theirs.

As I say, doesn't bother me and it's not compulsory to applaud if you don't want to.
Doesn't bother me either, but if the precedent is set that we have them for every
Terrorist atrocity, sadly we're going to need more football matches :|

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I don't really think our league standing comes into it, to go back a few months, are we suppose to not acknowledge the Manchester attack because both Manchester clubs are now 3 league above us?
Football at the end of the day is just a game. You're being asked to shut up or clap for one minute at the start of a football match, why try and discredit that? The world doesn't revolve around 'Chief Dave' 43 from Coventry, think about others for once, you old gimp.

Brylowes

I don't really think our league standing comes into it, to go back a few months, are we suppose to not acknowledge the Manchester attack because both Manchester clubs are now 3 league above us?
Football at the end of the day is just a game. You're being asked to shut up or clap for one minute at the start of a football match, why try and discredit that? The world doesn't revolve around 'Chief Dave' 43 from Coventry, think about others for once, you old gimp.
43 is not old.

Users who are viewing this thread