Applause for terrorism (2 Viewers)

singers_pore

15-25 percent of every group is extreme. Go meet some Brexiters, or Tories, or Labour members, or Pokemon fans. Fucking nuts.

When was the last time Pokémon fans killed people in a terrorist atrocity? Where is your evidence that 15-25% of these groups are extremist? You are being either stupid or deliberately obtuse.

singers_pore

OK, what I meant was, who conducted the survey? What was the sample size?

I already said. Pew research and C4. You can check out the C4 program on YouTube. It's called "what British Muslims really think" or words to that effect. The program was done by the former Commissioner of the Racial Equality Commission.

shmmeee

When was the last time Pokémon fans killed people in a terrorist atrocity? Where is your evidence that 15-25% of these groups are extremist? You are being either stupid or deliberately obtuse.

Calm down dear, just having a debate.

And right wingers killed people in terrorist attacks pretty recently. A Brexiter killed an MP over Brexit and immigration FFS. Pokemon fans don’t kill people, but they spend thousands travelling across the world to play a smart phone game, which is pretty extreme (which is what we were talking about).

Look, it boils down to this: do you think Muslims are fundamentally different on some level to the rest of humanity? I’m saying they’re not. I’m saying they’re people and run the full gamut from genius to arsehole to arsehole genius.

(By the way, depends on your definition of extreme, using statistics and the bell curve, extreme is by definition two standard deviations from the norm, and is about 10% of anything normally distributed. I was exercising hyperbole onan Internet forum. A crime I admit. )

Skybluefaz

I already said. Pew research and C4. You can check out the C4 program on YouTube. It's called "what British Muslims really think" or words to that effect. The program was done by the former Commissioner of the Racial Equality Commission.
I put a link up to show that your claim regarding the pew research is nonsense. As for the channel 4 documentary, I don't think you can draw accurate information from something that is supposed to be deliberately inflammatory. There is a problem but it's not black and white and your percentages mean nothing.

Grendel

To be fair he claimed the other day food had increased in price by 20% he does often just make things up.

Grendel

Calm down dear, just having a debate.

And right wingers killed people in terrorist attacks pretty recently. A Brexiter killed an MP over Brexit and immigration FFS. Pokemon fans don’t kill people, but they spend thousands travelling across the world to play a smart phone game, which is pretty extreme (which is what we were talking about).

Look, it boils down to this: do you think Muslims are fundamentally different on some level to the rest of humanity? I’m saying they’re not. I’m saying they’re people and run the full gamut from genius to arsehole to arsehole genius.

(By the way, depends on your definition of extreme, using statistics and the bell curve, extreme is by definition two standard deviations from the norm, and is about 10% of anything normally distributed. I was exercising hyperbole onan Internet forum. A crime I admit. )

As I say above this poster talks nonsense and makes things up on a daily basis.

I actually think despite his bravado he is pretty dim.

singers_pore

My response to this is the same as what Steven Weinberg, the Nobel prize winning physicist, wrote:
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

The Barcelona terrorists were described as lovely people by their friends and family. Deep down, they probably were nice to most people. However, their minds were corrupted by the extremism within Islam.

SkyblueBazza

My response to this is the same as what Steven Weinberg, the Nobel prize winning physicist, wrote:
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion."

The Barcelona terrorists were described as lovely people by their friends and family. Deep down, they probably were nice to most people. However, their minds were corrupted by the extremism within Islam.
Friends & family...would they be Muslim too? If so they would be most unlikely to report a terrorist because if we assume the same applies in Spain - 52% wouldn't from your stats, that might go up too if it was a friend or family.
Standard deviations already explain by Schmee (I think it was him) & don't confuse extreme with violent. 1 'disturbed' apparent 'Brexiteer' resorted to violence but there are more expressing extreme views on the subject - none that I have seen involve violence.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Surely a minute out of your day clapping, or in silence, or one after the other, or whatever you choose to do as an individual is not too much to ask is it? a few moments taken to show a rejection of terrorism, solidarity with communities subject to it, to show compassion with those injured or killed? It cost nothing, it has taken some longer to post on this thread.

It isn't a solution, its not meant to be. Its a public show of strength/will against a particular threat but also in a general sense against any similar kind of threat that blights the lives of any nationality colour or creed. Does it make people feel better? yes. Does it help the victims? hopefully in some small way. Does it correct wrongs or root causes? No but surely it raises awareness in some way - its a start. Taking part is voluntary but in large gatherings that it happens cannot be ignored by anyone attending. I cannot believe ignoring all events is a better course of action.

To restrict it to past servants/supporters of the club I feel is too narrow. The club is part of greater and many communities it is not the community. To restrict in such a way is actually at odds with what the club and football authorities preach in terms of community, values etc.

No we don't cover all atrocities or all natural events, don't demonstrate we care about other deaths on the planet (that isn't proof that we do or do not), but to never demonstrate a coming together for a at least a few of the many events would worry me far more, would make me question the basics of civilisation far more. Whether the script got muddled or not is not really the point. How it is done is not really important. The fact that it takes place at all is

just my opinion
All the sentiment there is spot on.

Unlikely, but if there are several that pass on who've associated with the club & we apply the same rules for UK, EU, US atrocities everywhere...not wanting to be discriminating - there hasn't as far as I am aware been applause/silence for innocent victims of atrocities in Israel, Pakistan, Russia, etc. Is that in itself creating division? Or is it only the victims of IS that deserve support?

It is a complex issue.

This is where leadership comes in. Maybe the government need to get more of a grip. For example 12:05pm (everyone stops at 12pm) on a Monday, a public service announcement (ie no cultural/religious bias), on every TV ,Radio channel, mobile phone automated txts then block all non-emergency calls. Announcement honouring victims of named disasters (like they do in PMQs & indeed I think CofE services) - 5mins of details 5mins of quiet contemplation - 12:15 all back to normal.

That covers everyone in all walks of life from all creeds & cultures. It would make those with more hardened attitudes to the plight of those in far flung places feel more sympathetic & maybe soften attitudes too if you suddenly discover the bloke you work with & having a laugh with 15mins earlier is deeply emotionally affected by some tragedy in Sri Lanka for example.

It also gets it all done with in one go & we can get on with the footy!

covcity4life

can this thread be moved to off topic please? rather not see debates about terrorism and islam etc on coventry city general chat

damn id rather talk about poor recruitment last summer than this!

KEEP COVENTRY CITY GENERAL CHAT SACRED!

#KCCGCS

Brylowes

can this thread be moved to off topic please? rather not see debates about terrorism and islam etc on coventry city general chat

damn id rather talk about poor recruitment last summer than this!

KEEP COVENTRY CITY GENERAL CHAT SACRED!

#KCCGCS
Thing is CC4Life, it's a very real thing that's synonymous with the times in which we live, it's a terrible
Thing that can rip anyone's life apart in an instant, it's a different war to anything we've faced before,
The people against us have no regard for human life "either ours or their own" and as a result will keep
sinking to ever deeper Depths of depravity, it will only get worse.
As a result we will find it seeping into our everyday life more and more, thus affecting things we do and
And the decisions we make.
And that is the reason they do it.

covcity4life

Thing is CC4Life, it's a very real thing that's synonymous with the times in which we live, it's a terrible
Thing that can rip anyone's life apart in an instant, it's a different war to anything we've faced before,
The people against us have no regard for human life "either ours or their own" and as a result will keep
As a result we will find it seeping into our everyday life more and more, thus affecting things we do and

there is a forum to talk about it though

this sub forum is for tactics and transfers etc.

shmmeee

Don’t glorify them. They’re not some phantom menace the likes of which we’ve never seen. They’re a few dickheads with a drivers licence and internet access. We faced far worse from the IRA without turning into gibbering idiots scared of our own shadow.

Brylowes

Don’t glorify them. They’re not some phantom menace the likes of which we’ve never seen. They’re a few dickheads with a drivers licence and internet access. We faced far worse from the IRA without turning into gibbering idiots scared of our own shadow.
They won't change the way I live, that's exactly what they want, but whatever way you look at
It will change the way people live, and the way Governments Govern.
But if you seriously believe we faced more of a threat from the IRA than we currently face from
IS or whatever they morph into next, I think you're wrong on a monumental scale.

SkyblueBazza

They won't change the way I live, that's exactly what they want, but whatever way you look at
It will change the way people live, and the way Governments Govern.
But if you seriously believe we faced more of a threat from the IRA than we currently face from
IS or whatever they morph into next, I think you're wrong on a monumental scale.
They easily could if you were say, blinded or redered significantly maimed through an attack

Users who are viewing this thread