Are QPR the new Portsmouth? (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

Ton of money: Chris Samba to be on £100k a week at Queens Park Rangers

30 Jan 2013 22:32
Drop-bound Hoops will also pay £12.5m for Anzhi defender - and spending won't end there as Redknapp targets Crouch and THREE Spurs players

Rover's return: Ex-Blackburn star Samba's set to join QPR from Anzhi
John Powell
Chris Samba is set for a staggering £100,000-a-week deal at Queens Park Rangers.

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes is rushing to agree personal terms in a deadline-beating £12.5million transfer.

But he will then have to break the bank with a six-figure salary to land centre-half Samba from Anzhi Makhachkala.

Rangers, still the Premier League's bottom club, have triggered former Blackburn star Samba's release clause but must still match his massive wages at the Russian club.

It means that Samba would become QPR's biggest signing and biggest earner, replacing French striker Loic Remy, who signed for £7m and £70,000-a-week basic from Marseille earlier this month.

Samba had no sooner left to join Harry Redknapp's strugglers than he was blasted by Anzhi manager Guus Hiddink.

The deal to buy Samba was sealed by Fernandes, who conducted negotiations on Tuesday night, and the west Londoners hope to see Samba make his debut in Saturday's game against Norwich.

Angry Hiddink hit out at Samba and said on Wednesday: "He left for England yesterday.

"I hope that today or tomorrow we'll find out what has really happened.

"It's a shame to talk about this, but he didn't even say goodbye - he didn't explain anything to us.

"Whatever happens to you, you should take into account the people with whom you work."

Hiddink hinted he felt Samba may have been tapped up.

He added: "It's not a great situation for us. He started the pre-season camps with us but then suddenly, in the last few days, he started to make contact with England - that's despite still being on contract with Anzhi."

"He didn't even say goodbye!" Hiddink is fuming over Samba's departure
Clive Brunskill

Redknapp revealed after Tuesday's home draw with Manchester City that Fernandes had offered to make the Samba deal work if he wanted the former Blackburn star.

Redknapp said: "The chairman asked me a week ago whether I'd be interested if he could get me Samba. I've left it wholly in his hands."

The Hoops boss is desperate for a new defender with Anton Ferdinand off to Bursaspor on loan and Ryan Nelsen - Samba's former Blackburn team-mate - now off to manage Toronto FC in Major League Soccer.

Remy is believed to have assurances he will be sold for a fixed price if they go down, and Samba is likely to also push for the same clause in a three-and-a-half-year deal.

Redknapp, who tried to buy Samba while in charge at Tottenham, believes the powerful centre-half is vital to the Rs' chances of survival.

And the spending is unlikely to stop there, as QPR have tabled a £4m bid for Peter Crouch.

The deal depends on Stoke being able to find a replacement for the England striker, and boss Tony Pulis has his eye on Aston Villa outcast Darren Bent.

QPR are also trying to bring in Tottenham's England Under-21 winger Andros Townsend and England midfielder Jermaine Jenas on loan - and wants David Bentley on a free to make it a treble.

Anzhi, meanwhile, are trying to buy Chelsea outcast Florent Malouda for £5m.

----------------------------------

Something smells funky at QPR! I mean come on, your on the verge of relegation and you spend 12.5 million on a player paying him £100k a week? Really? They've even said they'll sell Samba if they get relegated for a fixed price (aka he'll keep his high wages whatever club he goes too). How can you guarentee that any club will want Samba after QPR go down? They could be stuck with a player that doesn't want to be in the Championship, paying him a ridiculous wage they just can't afford!

Surely that's suicide on the scale of Portsmouth?

Nick

Administrator
100k a week for him? Way overpriced!

Looks like they are just throwing loads of money at the team to save them from relegation.

RichieGunns

And Rednapp hasn't finished there:

Harry Redknapp pushing for Tottenham outcasts Bentley, Jenas, and Townsend

Reports suggest that Harry Redknapp will make a deadline day swoop for Tottenham reject David Bentley. He wants the former England midfielder on loan, along with his Tottenham teammates Jermaine Jenas and Andy Townsend.

While the moves for Jenas and Townsend are understandable, it is surprising that Redknapp would want to reconnect with Bentley. When Redknapp was manager of Tottenham, Bentley was almost always on the sidelines and barely got a crack at the first team.

The moves are an attempt to bolster QPR’s squad with the type of players and characters that Redknapp wants in what will be a crucial few months for the club’s immediate future.

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/h...nham-outcasts-bentley-jenas-and-townsend-6601

LastGarrison

100k a week for him? Way overpriced!

Looks like they are just throwing loads of money at the team to save them from relegation.
Thing is with all the money that you make by being in the PL this is what teams are forced to do (if they can).

Although, the Malaysians are football mad I don't think Fernandes' plan was to pump millions into a Championship side!!!

RichieGunns

Thing is with all the money that you make by being in the PL this is what teams are forced to do (if they can).

Although, the Malaysians are football mad I don't think Fernandes' plan was to pump millions into a Championship side!!!

Fernandes is either pumping the cash in now because he's realised there's a good chance they might be relegated and this is a last ditch attempt to bring in the quality that will save them.

Or he hasn't and is quite deluded...

Sutty

This was only a month ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2252195/Harry-Redknapp-launches-attack-QPR-players.html

I don't know how Redknapp continually blows money his club can't afford and gets such an easy ride from the press. Bournemouth, Southampton and West Ham all took years to recover from his over-spending, and Portsmouth still haven't recovered.

QPR will sadly go the same way as Portsmouth and 'Arry will be off to do it all again with some other club with a desperate owner.

scroobiustom

And Rednapp hasn't finished there:

Harry Redknapp pushing for Tottenham outcasts Bentley, Jenas, and Townsend

Reports suggest that Harry Redknapp will make a deadline day swoop for Tottenham reject David Bentley. He wants the former England midfielder on loan, along with his Tottenham teammates Jermaine Jenas and Andy Townsend.

While the moves for Jenas and Townsend are understandable, it is surprising that Redknapp would want to reconnect with Bentley. When Redknapp was manager of Tottenham, Bentley was almost always on the sidelines and barely got a crack at the first team.

The moves are an attempt to bolster QPR’s squad with the type of players and characters that Redknapp wants in what will be a crucial few months for the club’s immediate future.

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/h...nham-outcasts-bentley-jenas-and-townsend-6601

ANDY Townsend is overrated as a Moran and a commentator!

QPR would be down if they sign him, ANDROS on the other hand would be a better choice

Covstu

The flipside is that if he spends £12M and keeps them up then it is money well spent.

Sutty

The flipside is that if he spends £12M and keeps them up then it is money well spent.

But they have a stadium that holds less than 20,000 people. Spending 170k per week on 2 players is not sustainable, stay up or not.

LastGarrison

But they have a stadium that holds less than 20,000 people. Spending 170k per week on 2 players is not sustainable, stay up or not.

Remember though Fernandes is the man who owns Air Asia so is certainly not short of a bob or two.

If his expenditure now keeps them in the Premier League this season and helps them consolidate then it certainly is good business.

He should have bought better at the start of the season though IMO.

RichieGunns

This was only a month ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2252195/Harry-Redknapp-launches-attack-QPR-players.html

I don't know how Redknapp continually blows money his club can't afford and gets such an easy ride from the press. Bournemouth, Southampton and West Ham all took years to recover from his over-spending, and Portsmouth still haven't recovered.

QPR will sadly go the same way as Portsmouth and 'Arry will be off to do it all again with some other club with a desperate owner.

Interesting quote from Rednapp in relation to Demba Ba:

'We've not got £7million to spend on a player, I'd have thought.'

I'd say you've got a darn sight more than 7 million to spend by the looks of it lol

Moscowskyblue

With a super wealthy owner QPR are never going to be in a Portsmouth style situation until he decides he doesn't want to bankroll the club. Air Asia, LOTUS and QPR are just a few of his business interests and he is a winner. Fernandes is just trying to ensure they escape the drop. Think more about what Villa are not doing and you will see that will cost far more than what QPR are doing.
He has a great manager and I think they will get clear.

Sutty

With a super wealthy owner QPR are never going to be in a Portsmouth style situation until he decides he doesn't want to bankroll the club. Air Asia, LOTUS and QPR are just a few of his business interests and he is a winner. Fernandes is just trying to ensure they escape the drop. Think more about what Villa are not doing and you will see that will cost far more than what QPR are doing.
He has a great manager and I think they will get clear.

Where do we draw the line? This sort of spending is gambling the future of the club on Premier League survival. As we've seen from the Leeds situation, it's not just relegation that threatens a club's future.

Several QPR fans, quite rightly in my eyes, have concerns:

http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/193941-Samba-12-5-mil-and-%C2%A3100-000-a-week

Also, the Samba signing will cost QPR, in total, £35million over the 4.5 years of his contract. And that's one player, who probably won't be sold on for anywhere near that figure.

cloughie

As previously said west ham, southamton and portsmouth al suffered at this types speculative spending and the link.....honest 'arry
....who won't give a flying toss if it cripples QPR in the future

CCFCSteve

I was going to start a threat titled "Sh*t or bust !" on the same subject. Id heard that Fernandes wasnt as wealthy as some might believe, yes, tens of millions but by no means an Abramovich. It doesnt take too many signings at the type of money and wages they are paying to put the club into serious difficulties if they go down (Zamora, Bosingwa, Wright Phillips, Samba, Remy, Ceasar, Green must be on a fortune between them)

Its a huge gamble on keeping them up but Redknapp may just do it with the players at his disposal (compared to Villa and some of the others who arent spending a penny). If not, they could be all sorts of trouble !

CCFCSteve

ps just seen that he was rumoured to be worth £250m, not sure if that is all liquid or tied up in businesses (or QPR players come to think of it !)

Users who are viewing this thread