Argument thread (1 Viewer)

oakey

On the theme of arguments am I alone in believing that people have lost sight of the purpose of arguments?
The Socratic method established the system of asking and answering questions in order to arrive at a better understanding. Today more and more people seem to ignore the arguments of their opponents or seek to diss them.
What happened to listening and adjusting your view according to new understanding?

dancers lance

On the theme of arguments am I alone in believing that people have lost sight of the purpose of arguments?
The Socratic method established the system of asking and answering questions in order to arrive at a better understanding. Today more and more people seem to ignore the arguments of their opponents or seek to diss them.
What happened to listening and adjusting your view according to new understanding?
I would agree, being challenged on your opinion is good for the mind and the essence of any argument should be to listen to the other person and garner a greater understand of why they think that way, even if you disagree with them. Unfortunately we now live in a time where it is far easier to use the cowardly tactic of "what that person is saying offends me" in an attempt to close down the debate, a tactic that sadly seems to be working, Socrates would be spinning in his grave.

Users who are viewing this thread