Asian players

Discussion in 'Sky Blues in the Community' started by oldskyblue58, Aug 2, 2017.

1. oldskyblue58

oldskyblue58 CCFC Finance Director

No agenda just a couple of questions

I was wondering about the ethnic back grounds of the academy players. Roughly what percentage of players are of Asian background

It seems to me that in this country Asian players do not seem to make the impact in football to match the overall % of population. Locally I have seen over the years some very good Asian players, what are the factors that hold them back from progressing to the first team or is it just luck of the draw?

2. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Been a problem for many an age. Doesn't make any sense at all when you think about it. You get Korean and Japanese and Chines footballers, so why not Indian and Pakistani ones? And why not in this country where at least two generations have lived and been brought up here?

I do find it strange.

3. Nick

Nick Administrator

The last "well known" player I can think is Rikki Bains.

4. skybluesam66

skybluesam66 Well-Known Member

Michael chopra is half indian

5. wingy

wingy Well-Known Member

Something for the FA/FL to target through SBITC initiatives to stimulate more participation?They may do this already.
    Be interested for Covcity4lifes input here to understand if there is any cultural preferences that preclude participation on a larger scale.
    Thinking Cricket here, the general perception from watching City is that not many follow /support football, is that accurate?
    I know that has improved over recent years and bigger Clubs than us do attract significant Asian support.
    Is there a focus in the household that pushes kids accemedemically shunning other pursuits be it sport or the Arts for example?

6. rob9872

rob9872 Well-Known Member

A little bit chicken and egg. We need some positive Asian role models in the game to generate more interest and identity to hopefully see it snowball.

I'm not normally one for positive discrimination as I think it creates more divides which doesn't help, but so much untapped pool of support and players I'd gove an asian kid a chance at the expense of a better non_asian player to try and tap into that resource early. For a club on its arse like ours and with such a high local Asian population it could be our saviour.

7. Nick

Nick Administrator

Same as polish / eastern European.

8. rd45

rd45 Active Member

There was a good interview with Moeen Ali in yesterday's paper - talking about how he made it in cricket, whereas a lot of his mates didn't. Think some of the same factors apply to football. Seems that the ECB has a scheme trying to help south Asian kids who are coming up through junior clubs, I guess the FA could do the same? (I won't hold my breath)

Moeen Ali: ‘If it wasn’t for cricket I don’t know what I’d be doing now’

9. Covstu

Covstu Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it goes back to the country of origin. India and Pakistan are cricket daft, it's a sport that absolutely dominates over there so football takes a major back seat and left to the streets to a certain extent. Korea/Japan have good football academies and a love for the sport.
    I think it will happen but it's a slower burner I guess.

As for over here... not a clue to be honest! Are they getting opportunities, is it a family/cultural thing? When I was a kid, half of our team were made up of Asian players and bloody good ones too.

10. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Wow! That's the first time I have ever heard anyone say they would be interested in Covcity4life's input. ;)

The Reverend Skyblue and wingy like this.