ATTENDANCES - Reality Check (1 Viewer)

Looking at a snapshot of attendances for Championship and League 1 clubs last night the difference between the two leagues is startling.

Championship average gate: 16,827
League 1 average gate; 5,552

Our gate of 12,221 is both surprising (higher than expected), and double/treble that of most of the others.

How on earth do L Orient (3,564), Oldham (3,496) and Scunthorpe (3,215) operate as a full time football club with players wages, overheads and other essential expenditure and appear to "exist" ie with no apparent threat of admin or liquidation.

It just shows how hamstrung CCFC is with regards to our very survival being reliant on a complex multi shared "ownership" whilst other clubs manage to scrape by with minimal interference by third parties and continue to thrive.

The mind boggles.

PUSB

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Local police assist the Sky Blues by boosting attendance figures. (They have the words to the Sky Blue Song on bits of paper!).

ricoh-arena-256529406.jpg

Ashdown

Our attendance of 12612 was 5000 higher than any other in League 1. The Yeovil attendance on Saturday was 2,500 above their normal average. In terms of support we are a big fish in this small pond and must make that count. The second half support from Blocks 15-18 really lifted the team last night.

WillieStanley

Considering we've played top flight matches in front of 9k before, I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout last night. Gutted we didn't get Sheff U on a Saturday.

Otis

Remember that ST holders are included in the attendance whether they are there or not.

CWR seemed to think there were less than 12,000 actually there for sure.

Speaking as someone who hasnt missed a City game at the Ricoh league , cup or friendly since leaving Highfield Road i beg to differ. The lads i go with and myself normally have a 'guess the gate' competition for a couple of quid each game. I normally get it right to the nearest thousand and i was convinced there were more like 14'000 last night? They didnt announce the crowd (not that i heard anyway) and i was amazed to see official attendance under 13'000. The lowest of our lads guessing said 13'700 and he took the money. Two said over 14'000, all of us were/are suspicious of gate figures anyway and last night is another example. I've seen the place at least 3/4 full on more than one occasion and it is announced at 21'000 ish. We always say how could you get another 12'000 supporters in?

Any thoughts.

lordsummerisle

Speaking as someone who hasnt missed a City game at the Ricoh league , cup or friendly since leaving Highfield Road i beg to differ. The lads i go with and myself normally have a 'guess the gate' competition for a couple of quid each game. I normally get it right to the nearest thousand and i was convinced there were more like 14'000 last night? They didnt announce the crowd (not that i heard anyway) and i was amazed to see official attendance under 13'000. The lowest of our lads guessing said 13'700 and he took the money. Two said over 14'000, all of us were/are suspicious of gate figures anyway and last night is another example. I've seen the place at least 3/4 full on more than one occasion and it is announced at 21'000 ish. We always say how could you get another 12'000 supporters in?

Any thoughts.

Don't call Clive Eakin and tell him, he goes mental!

lordsummerisle

they probably arn't paying out bucket loads of interest to their owners either.

Thought it was only Ranson that loads of interest was paid to?

Might have changed with the "restructuring" though.

Imagine most clubs pay quite a bit of interest to their owners for "loans".

Very popular scam in football circles.

I did try once last season - he did indeed go mental. Maybe ive got it wrong but i dont think so. Pity there wasnt a way of counting empty seats instead of full ones but they would make that figure up as well.

Ashdown

Two lads who came with me, paid cash and had their tickets ripped off on the gate rather than having to enter them on the bar coding reader???!!!:thinking about:

stupot07

Two lads who came with me, paid cash and had their tickets ripped off on the gate rather than having to enter them on the bar coding reader???!!!:thinking about:

Did they go through the turnstile? If so it should have been counted.

Black6Osprey

Any thoughts.

Thats funny as I went with my brother and we both thought the attendance looked better than expected at around 15,000 as well and was quite shocked to find out later it was a fair bit lower.

Any thoughts.

Forget this conspiracy theory.

All the turnstiles are linked to a central computer which shows a graphic of exactly how many go through each one so they can say how many in each area of the ground. Bit of a post Hillsboro thing. This produces a detailed spreadsheet which has to be sent to the Football League along with a reconciliation and payment for their cut of all gate receipts. These are regularly audited by the Football League.

If there is a scam to be had its not in that area.

This is the case at least from League 2 up and at many Blue Square Premier grounds, I could not comment but I hear that may not be the case lower down the pyramid where some unusual attendances can be reported, but not in the FL.

skybluedaze

Any thoughts.

It would make a lot of sense if the club DID slightly massage the figures for financial gain. Probably need too given the amount of rent that needs to be paid each month, robbing B******s.

shmmeee

I think we should apply occams razor here. Either there's a full scale fraud covering several different boards to save a couple of quid. Or some people have difficulty estimating crowd sizes. I'm going with the latter

Stevec189

£22 at Crawley £25 at MK Dons. Think we are very competitive at this level. Our supply however well outstrips demand more 's the pity. Thought last night was about right. People are crap at estimating crowds! Not just at our stadium! 2/3 of away end and corporate stand were empty. Tescos stand relatively full up to the corners and Cov Tel end no more than 2/5ths full. Still if a few more of us cold get up here and get behind he team we might find ourselves doing just a little bit better. PUSB

neilyboy67

that bloody corner at the tesco/et stand prob holds 3,000 alone and that horrible gap between us and their lot last night prob 7,000 empty seats, very deceiving when guessing the gate, great turnout last night although expensive as im a walk up and took my little lad and his mate £36,tell you what my voice is hoarse, no coincidence we got the goal once we started the atmosphere? (block 16) feel like a 20,000 gate if the rest of the stadium could exercise their vocal muscles.

Users who are viewing this thread