Badminton has lost its Olympic funding, does anyone care? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

I'm really not sure what 'Olympic funding' means, but since Badminton was my former sport and it's one of the most played recreational sports in Britain, I think the government should at least promote it, if not fund it. Surely funding decisions should be based on the number of British participants rather than the potential for Olympic medals. Medals are particularly difficult in Badminton because it is a national sport in many Asian countries and they invariably pick up most of the medals. With the current epidemic of obesity, heart disease and diabetes, a sport like badminton can only be beneficial and should not be neglected.

Reactions: vow

wingy

Cuts.
Been huge investment in the Olympics over the last decade.
Shame but can't be immune when all else is on its arse.
Really mean it's a shame too.

Otis

Badminton is such an easy sport to play too. Not at a great level, but just at a fun one. You have plenty of time to react and hit the shuttlecock back and I have seen people who are not very good at ball sports such as cricket, baseball, tennis etc. be able to pick up badminton very easily and quickly.

Not sure on Olympic funding. Must be hard to fund everything, but as an easy game for people to play to keep active, it's very simple and easy.

Terry Gibson's perm

Does the funding not come through the lottery which has far less money to invest as they are greedy bastards and put the price up.

Seems daft to me to cut funding after they haven't done well surely they won't get better with less funding.

Nick

Administrator
I quite like Badminton, same as Squash its something Id like to play but seems a pain in the arse to book a court etc.

chiefdave

The badminton one is weird because they reached their medal target but have lost all their funding.

Gazolba

<snip>.

Seems daft to me to cut funding after they haven't done well surely they won't get better with less funding.

They did win a bronze medal in men's doubles, which is a small miracle.
But my argument is that funding should be based on public participation and not on potential Olympic medals.

Terry Gibson's perm

They did win a bronze medal in men's doubles, which is a small miracle.
But my argument is that funding should be based on public participation and not on potential Olympic medals.

Don't let a rower hear you say that as I think they get loads of cash and participation must be tiny

R

RB1992

I play badminton for an hour twice a week. Easy sport to pick up, easier and less frustrating than tennis (which I also play regularly) and you really work up a sweat. Seems strange they'd cut the funding for it, didn't we win an unexpected medal in it at the last Olympics?

Covstu

The issue is that any medal medal hopefuls won't get any funding so will have to either rely on private funding or get a job!

Users who are viewing this thread