Baker (1 Viewer)

cyril

Seriously what has happened to him? When he first arrived he was taking on players and being regarded as the new hutch.
Only Coventry players can decline so rapidly

Grendel

Seriously what has happened to him? When he first arrived he was taking on players and being regarded as the new hutch.

For a player who had really only played at Southport and Stockport we shouldn't expect much.

Did Coleman make the Hutchison comparison? Probably.

CCFC_Charlie

Confidence has a big part to play in it. He can't have drawn too much confidence from Sheffers being picked ahead of him at Yeovil when Fleck came off, especially after what was said at the forums. Get him confident again and he'll come good.

lordsummerisle

Yes. But he really was a breath of fresh air when he arrived. Surely you dont doubt that?

He was never really that good even when he arrived, just at the time any signing made by Coleman had to be brilliant.

Many saying after a couple of games rather have him than Tabb.

Rather have Tabb any day.

PVA

He will do well in this league when given an extended run in the right position.

He scored something like 13 goals before Christmas from midfield in this league, and that in a dreadful Stockport side.

Hateley's Heed

He will do well in this league when given an extended run in the right position.

He scored something like 13 goals before Christmas from midfield in this league, and that in a dreadful Stockport side.

What position is his right position then as we haven't seen one so far? Too lightweight for main midfield role, not quick enough physically to play as a winger and not smart enough to play in the hole.

1 good spell for 3 months doesn't make a career.

ohitsaidwalker king power

For me he's an impact player only, should not be in the starting 11.. when the game is stretched with 20-25 mins to go he can be very effective... has not really lived up to his early promise?

valiant15

I wasnt impressed with his play acting on tuesday either,he went down in midfield with his hands on his face looking for a free kick,he soon got up when he realised the ref wasn't interested.

Gaz

I agree, he was a totally different player back then.
Like you say, he would take players on more and seemed skilful at times.

stupot07

What position is his right position then as we haven't seen one so far? Too lightweight for main midfield role, not quick enough physically to play as a winger and not smart enough to play in the hole.

1 good spell for 3 months doesn't make a career.

Too true........

speedie87

Jenkinson was playing in the prem not div 3.

All those players we used to think we're crap like David Rennie wud now be out best players

skybluesteve76

he's had no confidence for 2 seasons then?

Bit harsh. Whenever he's had a decent run he's done well. When he first joined, last season before he got injured. Playing in a relegation team probably didn't help any of them to be fair. He was superb before he joined us, in a settled side, playing week in and week out. What does that tell you?

Yorkshire SB

Clive Platt bagged like 19 goals one season for MK Dons. One spell of form does not mean we should consider it the norm.

hill83

Bit harsh. Whenever he's had a decent run he's done well. When he first joined, last season before he got injured. Playing in a relegation team probably didn't help any of them to be fair. He was superb before he joined us, in a settled side, playing week in and week out. What does that tell you?

That he was 'superb' BEFORE he joined us.
So it tells me nothing I want or need to hear.

Marty

I don't understand why people are expecting so much from him, I'd would have tried to get rid of him and bring in a wide man.

KersleyDigs

He's peaked....

stupot07

It tells ME that this football club turns promising young footballers into withering nervous wrecks!:)

Promising young footballer? Baker was 27 when he signed for us - that is not young. The promising 'young' footballer we did sign or - juke, dann, fox, gunnar, Westwood, best, etc are all playing at a higher level than us.

Grendel

Promising young footballer? Baker was 27 when he signed for us - that is not young. The promising 'young' footballer we did sign or - juke, dann, fox, gunnar, Westwood, best, etc are all playing at a higher level than us.

Exactly. Baker was nearly 25 when he joined morecombe. He had played effectively 2 full seasons of lower league football before joining us. He he manages mediocrity that ia all that can be expected for such a journeyman.

Nonleagueherewecome

Jenkinson was playing in the prem not div 3.

All those players we used to think we're crap like David Rennie wud now be out best players

I disagree! What you forget is that there were hardly any foreign players in English football back then. Around 75% of the players that are in the Championship today would have been top-flight players in the 80's-early 90's.

This partly explains the old Baddiel and Skinner song, "Old Football was rubbish, (but not as rubbish as Andy Cole)." And seriously, just watch The Big Match Revisited on ITV4 sometime, you'll see what I mean..

wingy

I'm with Steve76 here,Baker played effectively in the extended run betwen Christmas up to the Derby away game ,which although dominant was lost due to one of the many individual errors within the team,from where he was pulled from the team .When called back for the Forrest game he had a stinker along with the rest of the squad,for which he was rounded on .A game we should hve been two up in but for a goal line clearance and a Fizzer from Deegan shaving the angle,the reason the game was lost was due to Mcsheff,Norwood and the rest of the left side of defense failing to stop Mcleary,however it was Bakers fault that day cos he's Shite,as proved by his performances shortly after against Blues and the game before which eludes me

Nonleagueherewecome

Wingy I remember it as him hitting form and scoring against Derby at home, then getting a knock that kept him out for ages. When he came back he was miles off match fitness but played due to lack of alternatives. By the end of the season, he was fit and playing better than half the side, his best game being the Southampton debacle where he was our only attacking threat. He was taking their defence on all on his own in that game.

Thought he was v.poor against Sheff U, though. He's very very inconsistent, and a confidence player, but the main thing for me is that whenever we try him in the hole, his poor passing lets him down. He's a dribbler, but aside from one single classy run in the RW corner 2nd half, he didn't dribble against Sheff U. I'd be telling him to run with it at every opportunity, as he's good at it if he can believe in himself, and can't pass.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wingy I remember it as him hitting form and scoring against Derby at home, then getting a knock that kept him out for ages. When he came back he was miles off match fitness but played due to lack of alternatives. By the end of the season, he was fit and playing better than half the side, his best game being the Southampton debacle where he was our only attacking threat. He was taking their defence on all on his own in that game.

Thought he was v.poor against Sheff U, though. He's very very inconsistent, and a confidence player, but the main thing for me is that whenever we try him in the hole, his poor passing lets him down. He's a dribbler, but aside from one single classy run in the RW corner 2nd half, he didn't dribble against Sheff U. I'd be telling him to run with it at every opportunity, as he's good at it if he can believe in himself, and can't pass.

Agreed, which is why the diamond will work when Fleck comes back, because he's a talented passer.

wingy

Yeah he can be tricky offensive player when on a run ,one of the reasons i sit so close to the pitch is to try and encourage the likes of him and Hussey to go for it ,you can see/ sense the hesitancy in their game ,fear of Ffing up and what follows,maybe they are lacking lalong with others but they're wearing Sky Blue for varying reasons at our Club and its my duty to scream encouragement.:facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

Yes, Fleck is vital to us doing anything this season IMO. The good thing is that the Thornton comparison falls down when you hear that Fleck is desperate to play and trying to convince the staff that he's over his injury. That's more professionalism than you'd get from Kev, he'd be using that as, uh..."downtime".

Zen

I remember seeing him for the first time vs Notts Forest at home, he looked brilliant. Ball stuck to his boot like it was glued on, nutmegging a few defenders, very skilful. Shame he's declined because he could be a really useful player for us if utilised correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread