'ballers? (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

when did people start referring to footballers as 'ballers?
Danny Murphy said it during commentary of the France v Argentina game yesterday and heard it a few times recently.
Cuntish behaviour of the highest order.

Otis

Danny Murphy said it during commentary of the France v Argentina game yesterday and heard it a few times recently.
I prefer the term 'footies' myself.

shmmeee

Yet more Yank fetishisation. It used to be just basketball players, now all the chavs want to be from LA or whatever. Same as little scrotes who talk about being chased by “the feds”.

Sky Blue Harry H

I get fed up of hearing 13/14 year olds constantly referring to 'going to bang 'im out'. Makes my blood boil (know idea why, but it does...)

ConnorDevine

in a non sporting context people use 'baller' to refer to someone who's rich and flashy, I wonder if maybe it's the kind of swagger and confidence he's referring too? I can kind of let it fly if its in that sense, if it's just an abbreviation of footballer then that's unacceptable

Reactions: vow

Covstu

in a non sporting context people use 'baller' to refer to someone who's rich and flashy, I wonder if maybe it's the kind of swagger and confidence he's referring too? I can kind of let it fly if its in that sense, if it's just an abbreviation of footballer then that's unacceptable
That’s my understanding, still bullshit but nowt to do with football!

shmmeee

No it’s from basketball. It’s just that basketball players tend to be flashy. So it started to be used for that too: baller - Wiktionary

Then young English footballers started wanting to be American.

For reference see the 1995 Skee-Lo hit I Wish.

Liquid Gold

giphy.gif

CJ_covblaze

When FIFA UT started probably. The same individuals became experts on players they had never seen live around the same time too.

Users who are viewing this thread