BBC Midlands today - team of 87 not invited... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Apparently they haven't been invited as guests to the final on Sunday, according to the BBC this evening. Perhaps Timmy simply forgot.
Had this got out in time for the recent Timmy forum I'm sure someone would have put the question
"Why haven't the team of 87 been invited ? Seems a bit disrespectful.
Tim "They have." :banghead:

chiefdave

Would have thought they would be in with the former players, some of them are listed on the website.

CCFCFPA said:
The whole City of Coventry is gearing up for a mass exodus to Wembley on Sunday. Well over 40,000 Sky Blues fans including many of the Association’s membership of all stripes will be heading off down Wembley way to cheer on the “Boys of ’17” in their quest to bring back the Checkatrade Trophy.

Two CCFPA coaches with Association members and guests will be leaving the car park at Coventry Rugby FC’s Butts Park Arena, Butts Rd, Coventry CV1 3GE at 10am sharp. They will be meeting other CCFPA members and guests who have made their own way to the Stadium to cheer on Mark Robins’ Sky Blue team against Oxford United.

Amongst those we know will be on these coaches or who are making their own way there and expected to be present at the Wembley game are the following Sky Blues former player members:-
Carl Baker; Roy Barry; Dave Bennett; Andy Blair; Ken Brown; Dietmar Bruck; Lee Carsley; Chris Cattlin; Paul Dyson; Dean Emerson; Stuart Giddings; Ian Goodwin; Micky Gynn; Colin Holder; Jim Holmes; Peter Hormantschuk; Craig Pead; Gary McSheffrey; Graham Rodger; Trevor Shepherd; Gordon Simms; Kirk Stephens; Bill Tedds; John Tudor, Graham Walker and Bob Wesson. Dave Bennett will also be doing a Radio 5 Live interview around 1pm before the game starts so listen in too!

They (and their guests) will be sitting with committee members, corporate members and others in a couple of blocks at Wembley covering nearly 300 ticket holders. Look out for them as we all join in to bring ‘the Ricoh Roar’ to London and back the men in Sky Blue to another famous victory. PUSB!!

Didge76

Apparently they haven't been invited as guests to the final on Sunday, according to the BBC this evening. Perhaps Timmy simply forgot.
Had this got out in time for the recent Timmy forum I'm sure someone would have put the question
It is fact. Spoke to Micky 2 weeks ago and he told me he wasn't going. SISU have no respect at all.

Grendel

So if in 30 years time CCfc make it to the F A Cup final will there be similar outrage if legends like Lee Burge and Rueben Lameries are not invited as guests of honour?

Sky Blue Pete

Tim actually said that he wanted to make new history rather than being annoyed at 87. Not good to not invite them though I'm sure most could afford a ticket

SkyblueBazza

I think the current team would be worried for their places if the '87 crew turned up...pressure they don't need on the day

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Adge

With so much been compared to 1987, and 30 years anniversary etc-just heard Micky Gynn saying that none of that team have been invited from the club.
Sums the owners up if you ask me.

Adge

So if in 30 years time CCfc make it to the F A Cup final will there be similar outrage if legends like Lee Burge and Rueben Lameries are not invited as guests of honour?
No!

CovBurty

Perhaps there a clue in the name of this cup. We won the FA Cup in 87. This is so not the FA Cup. Why invite them?

skybluetony176

Shocking if true. We've only been there the once before and being the 30th anniversary you would have thought it would have been the first thing that come to mind for those in charge.

Nick

Administrator
Former players will be getting a piss up at Wembley and legends day. Nice if you can get it.

skybluetony176

So much cringe. Wonder if Man United invite their past cup winners every time.

I went to a function some years ago where Bobby Charlton was doing after dinner speaking and I'm sure I recall him talking about Wembley finals being a good chance to catch up with all the greats of Man U as it's the one of the rare time's that you'll get them all in the same room (so to speak). So I'm guessing that the answer is yes they do.

Last edited:

CovBurty

Shocking if true. We've only been there the once before and being the 30th anniversary you would have thought it would have been the first thing that come to mind for those in charge.
Anniversary of Wembley appearance yes. Not FA Cup. Mickey Mouse Cup. Not FA Cup. Over.

torchomatic

Shame we all just can't just enjoy the occasion rather than being constantly outraged about something.

Micky Gynn is going it's on the CCFPA website.

torchomatic

It seems the anger is that he has had to buy a ticket and probably won't be getting a free corporate piss up.

Oh right. Still can't see the outrage. You can't give freebies to all ex players, Cup winners or not.

Yet another SBT storm in a teacup.

Grendel

I wonder if the Oxford milk cup finalists are being invited.

Users who are viewing this thread