Beavon - no goals in 11 consecutive league starts... (1 Viewer)

oucho

...going back to the end of Slade's time......

Yes, it is a team game and we shouldn't care who gets the goals provided we do well, but I do feel that we need to be seeing more from one of our main forwards when the team as a whole isn't scoring loads. When fit, I want to see Kwame given the same run as Beavon and also if possible Nazon deployed in that position.

There has to be a role for Beavon but if he isn't scoring goals then it's hard to see what the role is. 2-3 a season shouldn't keep him in the team.

steve82

Beavon was a pivotal part of Burtons rise and was the top of a hard working resilient side who got results and held onto them.

In league two Beavon scored 6 and Atkins, Mcgirk and Macdonald were the ones getting goals with a heathy return of goals from the defensive unit too as they must of been effective at set pieces.
Beavon in league one only scored 7, the 3 behind in El Kyayati, Duffy and Atkins scored goals.

However in this side and group of players in the current set up it's not working for him. It's not his fault, he's built and made a career in the professional game being effective from the front in a team game.

Until the team scores goals he will be the one fans point the finger at tho.

CJ_covblaze

McNulty has 1 in 16 league games. Biamou is unproven at this level. Nuzon isn't proven at any level. Jones blows hot and cold. Beavon isn't and never has been a consistent goalscorer. It's a problem across the board. Then add in the lack of depth and multi dimensional thinking in the centre of the midfield & starting the season with a keeper that has, for the majority of his career, sat on the bench in L1 or L2 and made the odd Conference appearance here and there.

It has been blatantly obvious where and what we're lacking from the off and before that. Logically it won't work. We all know though that logic doesn't always rule. Despite my initial worries I still think we should give it a bit more time. If we win 5-0, draw 0-0 or lose 0-5 on Saturday it doesn't mean we're going to win the league, go down, finish top half or bottom half. It's concerning but let's not jump the gun just yet.

Last edited:

Esoterica

...going back to the end of Slade's time......

Yes, it is a team game and we shouldn't care who gets the goals provided we do well, but I do feel that we need to be seeing more from one of our main forwards when the team as a whole isn't scoring loads. When fit, I want to see Kwame given the same run as Beavon and also if possible Nazon deployed in that position.

There has to be a role for Beavon but if he isn't scoring goals then it's hard to see what the role is. 2-3 a season shouldn't keep him in the team.
His role for me is coming on with 20 minutes to go and stretching already tired teams with his movement. That's only going to work if we're trying to play football and, as we are not really at the moment, it's part of the reason why he looks so redundant currently. I'd really like to see Nazon get a free role as a 10 where he can move around and try and get a run at a last defender rather than from wide midfield with 2 banks of 4 to get through. That would only work if you've got an attacking centre midfield that can find his feet early and then move into his space. Andreu starting in that position is key to sorting this whole mess out.

singers_pore

McNulty has 1 in 16 league games. Biamou is unproven at this level. Nuzon isn't proven at any level. Jones blows hot and cold. Beavon isn't and never has been a consistent goalscorer. It's a problem across the board. Then add in the lack of depth and multi dimensional thinking in the centre of the midfield & starting the season with a keeper that has, for the majority of his career, sat on the bench in L1 or L2 and made the odd Conference appearance here and there.

It has been blatantly obvious where and what we're lacking from the off and before that. Logically it won't work. We all know though that logic doesn't always rule. Despite my initial worries I still think we should give it a bit more time. If we win 5-0, draw 0-0 or lose 0-5 on Saturday it doesn't mean we're going to win the league, go down, finish top half or bottom half. It's concerning but let's not jump the gun just yet.

Absolutely. MR must see this. The only possible reason for not hiring a real goal scorer is finances.

Otis

The way I see it, none of the strikers are playing close enough to each other and therefore Beavon is pretty redundant.

He was fine last year with his little flick on's and delicate through-balls, but this season we are seemingly sending the ball up to him in isolation, which serves little point.

I do think he has done nothing this season thus far, but I am not sure that is down to him and think it is more down to the system deployed.

covcity4life

nothings changed all season, he offers nothing.andreu must start in number 10 role from now on

which is so strange as i was a big fan of him last season

Nick

Administrator
Beavon isn't suited to the system we are trying at all.

He works best when the ball is going into the channels and he can drag a centre half out there and bring others into play. I can't remember which game it was last year but it was when we stuck a high ball into the channel, he brought it down and whipped a cross in and we scored.

The issue is if he drags a defender out there, there is nobody making the run from midfield into the space as Doyle and Kelly are stood on the half way line. His work is more on dragging players out to create space for others rather than taking on 10 players and putting it in the top corner, it's pointless having him on the pitch with the wrong system.

Saturday was high balls up to him while Evatt was marking him that went directly onto Evatt's head. If they were to be put into the corner or so they went over Evatt and meant they had to run that's where it would have worked.

fatso

What worries me is that the front two don't look like they could worry an overweight bovines backside while waving a old fashioned stringed instrument.
If ponticelli can't get a chance to show what he can do soon, people (myself included). Are going to start to question MR's judgement and ability to manage. It's not time get on the gaffers back just yet, but patience is starting to wear thin. If things don't change in the next month or so, gates will plummet, and fisher will have to do something drastic.
I looked at the starting line up on Saturday, and couldn't see any goals in it, and that's the way it turned out, if it's the same line up for the next game then we can't expect any difference.
If all the players were fit, I'd have Haynes on the left side of midfield, Andreu partnering Doyle in midfield and Thomas and ponticelli upfront.

steve82

Yeah, but how many assists......oh hang on

I'm all fairness to him he's not gonna get assists if we're lumping the ball to him when a 6'3" centre half is waiting to hold him tight and steal the ball off his head. It's too easy, and that's not his game.

Evatt was a prime example of this Saturday. Play the ball to feet and play on the ground around him and Evatt would of been in trouble, same goes on for our 4 other league games this year, Clarke at Grimsby in the first half another.

no_loyalty

I forgot Beavon was even in the starting line up on Saturday, until I seen him at the start of the second half

skyblueelephant76

What worries me is that the front two don't look like they could worry an overweight bovines backside while waving a old fashioned stringed instrument.
If ponticelli can't get a chance to show what he can do soon, people (myself included). Are going to start to question MR's judgement and ability to manage. It's not time get on the gaffers back just yet, but patience is starting to wear thin. If things don't change in the next month or so, gates will plummet, and fisher will have to do something drastic.
I looked at the starting line up on Saturday, and couldn't see any goals in it, and that's the way it turned out, if it's the same line up for the next game then we can't expect any difference.
If all the players were fit, I'd have Haynes on the left side of midfield, Andreu partnering Doyle in midfield and Thomas and ponticelli upfront.

McNulty forced the keeper into two good saves, got himself clean through before putting it wide and also missed the header in the second half so it's not like he's not having attempts or getting into the right positions. I think he deserves more time and I'd stick with him at the moment.

Beavon is a different case as he really doesn't look a threat and isn't creating anything either. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his place on Saturday.

JulianDarbyFTW

Hold on a minute. Before we get the rope out of the shed and start eyeing up the tree at the back of the garden, let's just remember that we have a whole new team that are getting used to how each other play. It is far too early in the season to be worrying to this extent. If the same situation exists in a month's time, then by all means start to get nervous, but this is far too early to be all gloom and doom. Imho a few tweaks here and there are all it needs to turn the team into something good.

oucho

Hold on a minute. Before we get the rope out of the shed and start eyeing up the tree at the back of the garden, let's just remember that we have a whole new team that are getting used to how each other play. It is far too early in the season to be worrying to this extent. If the same situation exists in a month's time, then by all means start to get nervous, but this is far too early to be all gloom and doom. Imho a few tweaks here and there are all it needs to turn the team into something good.
Fair point but the "tweak" really ought to be Andreu in for Kelly and Nazon in for Beavon, IMO. JJ on the right, drop Vincenti and given Devon a shout on the wing.

fatso

No ones getting suicidal, or down and gloomy, were just asking if it's too much trouble to make the little tweaks that so obviously need making. We're not asking for major surgery, but when you've got a young lad in the stiffs who's scoring for fun, why leave him out in favour of two clueless knobs who couldn't find their own arses with both hands and a fucking map!

Warwickhunt

Beavon isn't suited to the system we are trying at all.

He works best when the ball is going into the channels and he can drag a centre half out there and bring others into play. I can't remember which game it was last year but it was when we stuck a high ball into the channel, he brought it down and whipped a cross in and we scored.

The issue is if he drags a defender out there, there is nobody making the run from midfield into the space as Doyle and Kelly are stood on the half way line. His work is more on dragging players out to create space for others rather than taking on 10 players and putting it in the top corner, it's pointless having him on the pitch with the wrong system.

Saturday was high balls up to him while Evatt was marking him that went directly onto Evatt's head. If they were to be put into the corner or so they went over Evatt and meant they had to run that's where it would have worked.
Being saying the same all season so far Nick! these damn teams that park the bus even when they are home,

Grendel

Are the calls for Nazon simply as we haven't seen him yet much?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

When McNulty is one on one with the goalkeeper and he puts it wide , which is what he did on Saturday, that has nothing to with getting used to how each other play .

It's just BAD finishing by McNulty .

Just saying !

Last edited:

Otis

I think Beavon can be a key squad player for us this season, but only if we utilise him properly. At the moment half the time the ball is pinged either above or straight at his head.

Been disappointed with him so far this season, but we are clearly not playing to his strengths.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I think Beavon can be a key squad player for us this season, but only if we utilise him properly. At the moment half the time the ball is pinged either above or straight at his head.

Been disappointed with him so far this season, but we are clearly not playing to his strengths.
What's his strengths ?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Holding the ball up, bringing fellow teammates into play and intelligent flick on's and through balls (such as at Wembley).

We haven't seen any of that so far this season I don't think.
That's a fair assessment , trouble is with Robins playing with just one up front he becomes isolated and less effective !!!

Mucca Mad Boys

McNulty's record was in L1, in L2 he got 10 goals in 27 for Pompey in the 15/16 season. He's got 2 in 6 for us so far - roughly about the same ratio to date. If he keeps it up, he'll get a decent haul for the season. He's proven at L2. I agree with the rest.

We have players like Andreu who average around 10+ in a season, Jones is already on 3 and I think there's a few goals elsewhere... That, however, remains to be seen.

I had a look at the starting records for the top 3 last season and all 3 were surprisingly mediocre. Pompey didn't really get going until 15 games in, and if we won our next game, we'd have the same record after 6 games as Doncaster. Plymouth lost their first 2. All in all, we've just got to wait and see how it pans out.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I'm still convinced McNulty will come good. He knows he should have buried those two chances on saturday and it's only time before he starts hitting the back of the net on a regular basis. Hes clearly having a bad spell in front of goal but I'm convinced he'll get 10-15 goals this season. His movement and intelligence is there he's just not finishing at the moment.

I agree in Beavon, he's like a poor mans Andy Morrell. We don't need hard workers up front, we need goal scorers.

It's not time to press the panic button just yet, we've had a mediocre start and I think a lot of fans expected us to walk this league. If we had won on Saturday by any means I'm sure things wouldn't seem as bad as they currently are.

Esoterica

Are the calls for Nazon simply as we haven't seen him yet much?
We've seen enough to see he's clearly not a wide midfielder. I'd like to see him centrally where he can drive at defenders. Don't get too much of that in L2 and you can see how scared teams are of Jodi Jones - he's bought 2 red cards in 2 games. With 2 forwards capable of beating a man it won't be so easy to double up on Jodi Jones either so think he'll get more space. But, sounding like a broken record, Andreu needs to play in the middle to make this effective.

oucho

Users who are viewing this thread