Beckham (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Just watching the documentary on Netflix. Absolutely fucking vile (not a word I use lightly), ridiculous treatment toward him after France 98. Why are people so scummy and dependent on football?

Sick Boy

Just watching the documentary on Netflix. Absolutely fucking vile (not a word I use lightly), ridiculous treatment toward him after France 98. Why are people so scummy and dependent on football?
I was only 13 at the time but I’m pretty sure it was made worse by the tabloids. There was even talk of him having to go and play abroad because he’d be hated so much.

Tommo1993

I was only 13 at the time but I’m pretty sure it was made worse by the tabloids. There was even talk of him having to go and play abroad because he’d be hated so much.

Unfortunately that’s entirely believable. Scummers.

Evo1883

Was about to come on here and make a thread about Beckham.. watching it now .

Yes the treatment was bad , but what's always struck me as odd about the English is how they percieve Beckham as a footballer..

England fans often say teams like Real Madrid and Ac Milan and PSG etc only signed him to sell shirts .. but at the time he was genuinley a fantastic footballer in an era full of all time greats .. much much better than many English men and women will give him credit for

And he always gave everything for England on the pitch

NorthernWisdom

but at the time he was genuinley a fantastic footballer in an era full of all time greats .. much much better than many English men and women will give him credit for
The game against Greece, he got us qualification single handed - only player who seemed up for it that game.

Only other player I've seen carry an international team in quite the same way as that game was Maradona (who did of course do it far more regularly!).

Evo1883

The game against Greece, he got us qualification single handed - only player who seemed up for it that game.

Only other player I've seen carry an international team in quite the same way as that game was Maradona (who did of course do it far more regularly!).
People often forget his contributions to United treble winning season and his contributions to winning 19 Major trophies .. he was more than a dead ball player . Really good footballer

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yes, he was in it for the fame, but he was actually decent at what he did too.

Evo1883

I'm actually watching at the point where Man United play Real Madrid And Ronaldo scores his Hattrick and gets a standing ovation , just a gentle reminder for me that even out of his prime , he was out of this world , the greatest number 9 in history

What a tremendous era of football

TomRad85

People often forget his contributions to United treble winning season and his contributions to winning 19 Major trophies .. he was more than a dead ball player . Really good footballer
My dad rarely made comments about individual footballers after games but I always remember following a 2-1 home defeat to Utd that we attended he couldn't stop going on about Beckham, the way he was just up and down that touchline all game long, unrelenting. Always stuck with me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

My dad rarely made comments about individual footballers after games but I always remember following a 2-1 home defeat to Utd that we attended he couldn't stop going on about Beckham, the way he was just up and down that touchline all game long, unrelenting. Always stuck with me.

Yeah mine said the same about him after a reserve match at HR, even then it was obvious.

Tommo1993

Was about to come on here and make a thread about Beckham.. watching it now .

Yes the treatment was bad , but what's always struck me as odd about the English is how they percieve Beckham as a footballer..

England fans often say teams like Real Madrid and Ac Milan and PSG etc only signed him to sell shirts .. but at the time he was genuinley a fantastic footballer in an era full of all time greats .. much much better than many English men and women will give him credit for

And he always gave everything for England on the pitch

Henry and Beckham. My two favourite players of the game. I can remember doing quite a few essays on Beckham throughout secondary school.

stay_up_skyblues

Really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be an “at home with the Beckhams” type show but pleasantly surprised it was basically a football documentary. The wife wasn’t 🤣

Tabloids were a complete cesspit weren’t they. I’d say times have changed but now we have Twitter.

I remember him being an absolute class act on the pitch and the show reinforced that. Victoria came across well.

Sick Boy

Really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be an “at home with the Beckhams” type show but pleasantly surprised it was basically a football documentary. The wife wasn’t 🤣

Tabloids were a complete cesspit weren’t they. I’d say times have changed but now we have Twitter.

I remember him being an absolute class act on the pitch and the show reinforced that. Victoria came across well.
Even now a lot of people base their opinion on what tabloids tell them to think, it’s pretty depressing.

fernandopartridge

His crossing was just lethal. It'd be interesting to see how he'd be used in the modern game, the way United play currently doesn't really suit him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Adge

A good watch-must have a strong mind and mentality to carry the burden almost singlehandedly after the Argentina game when mental health wasn’t a thing.
Despite all the razzmatazz that surrounds him I always liked him as a footballer and a decent person aswell.

oscillatewildly

I remember being in a pub in Birmingham for that game and screaming for Sheddy Teringham to come on off the bench - "He'll definitely score", I nauseatingly kept shouting. Guess what? He did, and he did. I was briefly looked upon like some kind of mystical genius by all who had bothered to stay in that boozer and not gone elsewhere because of my ranting, until the Greeks took the lead again.
Don't recall anybody that day predicting 'Super David will save the day with a late free kick'.
Pin point crosser of the ball with the luxury of time and space. Found the net with one in every fifteen free kick attempts (would be a reserve in lacing the boots of James Ward Prowse if he had been around at the same time)
Least said the better concerning his penalty kicks.

SBT

The whole thing does feel a bit self masturbatory from becks
I think he’s just too well media trained by now to be that interesting, and he was a dull guy to start with. The documentary doesn’t really say anything new or revolutionary, but is good fun.

skybluecam

Not really, but were you expecting 4.5 hours of self loathing?
No, it’s exactly what I was expecting.

It was mostly the portrayal of him and posh like some kind of 90s reincarnation of Romeo and Juliet that made me vomit in my mouth a little. Although I’m too young to remember it at the time, so maybe it’s totally accurate.

Tommo1993

It was mostly the portrayal of him and posh like some kind of 90s reincarnation of Romeo and Juliet that made me vomit in my mouth a little. Although I’m too young to remember it at the time, so maybe it’s totally accurate.

Just shows you can be a world class footballer and whatever else in outside industries.

andrew.roberts

I was at that game with my son (2000), we flew over for his tenth birthday and I distinctly remember Beckham's cross while running at full pelt for Andy Cole to score. He was outstanding that day.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That was Leonardo di Caprio and Claire Danes

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Posh Spice is still a knob.

Users who are viewing this thread