Before everyone is carried away....put some reality on it (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Yep looks like a silly loss at Wrexham.....or was it?

Thorn changed the whole team almost and played a different system from the last game.

So is he useless or simply very astute at trying lots of ideas before a real game is played?

I did not like his choices tonight. I want Cody in there, I want Christie in there and I want Wood and Cameron in there. I could go on...those alone would be quality at this level and their in our camp!

Friendlies mean little result wise.
Who knows what Thorn was testing tonight while he still has the luxury to do so?
He has plenty of new signings to blood in and as I said before on a previous thread, most of those will not be at the races come the first league game.
He has plenty more friendlies to hone his selections. Lets wait and see shall we?

Time will tell clearly if those he has brought in are flops or turn out to be great additions.

When the whistle blows on the first league game the mentality will be entirely different.

As has been said before, we MUST hit the ground running and if we don't and quickly lose ground then is the time to get rid and not wait for Xmas to roll around! This is in many ways a vital season with a lot riding on it for SISU so there will not be very much patience. The fans expect it, the bookies expect it and I bloody well expect it.

If they don't get a reasonable season under them this year then they will lose any gravitas they had left and SISU and the whole dam lot will callapse in a heap. There are no choices left. Survial will depend on it.

Reality is being sober! I agree though, friendlys don't mean much but win the last one before the serious stuff starts.

Reality is being sober! No wonder I think supporting cov is like a cartoon then, I'm always waiting for tweetypie to jump up on Thorns shoulder and say "I tawt I taw a putty tat " !

psgm1

Banned
Thorn himself gives players a week to fit in and at most 2 games.

He himself has had well over a season to get used to management!

I don't buy for one second these excuses. You are asking to give Thorn the benefit of the doubt YET AGAIN. The same benefit as a scout he would NEVER give to a player.

If you live by the sword you die by the sword.

He has had more than enough chances to impress. Long overdue is his time to go!

He should have been sacked last christmas, yet alone end of the season.

He should have resigned immediately after the Wrexham game. The man is an utter disgrace

kingharvest

You don't resign because you lose a friendly!

Lets just wait and see how the league games go. If we have a really bad start then i imagine questions will be asked. But not for friendlys.

Astute

a post match staement would help.

AT would do best not giving any more post match statements. Some so called fans wait for him to say something so they can find fault in what he says.

Grendel

AT would do best not giving any more post match statements. Some so called fans wait for him to say something so they can find fault in what he says.

He can't even be bothered to give an interview for the fans - sack Thorn!!

covcity4life

not at all,he comes out with crap alot of the time,the fact you cant see that makes you just as bad as the "so-called" fans who you hate so much mate. you need to see things down the middle.

=========

City boss on defeat to Wrexham
Coventry City manager Andy Thorn felt his side have a lot of work to do in all departments after Tuesday night's 4-1 defeat at Wrexham.
Speaking to the CT's Alan Poole after the game, Thorn said: "It's better we go through this now than when the season starts for real.
"You don't really learn too much when you are beating teams 8-0 and 5-0 but Wrexham are a battle hardened side; we knew they would give us a real test which is why I wanted to play them and it's proved we have got a hell of a lot of work to do in all departments.
"We can't afford to defend like that and expect to come away with a result from any game.
"I know it's a new back four but it's stll difficult to expain because that was nothing like I see in training every day.
"We've got to get it right first and foremost so we have got two weeks of really hard graft ahead of us."

skybluebeduff

Coventry City manager Andy Thorn felt his side have a lot of work to do in all departments after Tuesday night's 4-1 defeat at Wrexham.
Speaking to the CT's Alan Poole after the game, Thorn said: "It's better we go through this now than when the season starts for real.
"You don't really learn too much when you are beating teams 8-0 and 5-0 but Wrexham are a battle hardened side; we knew they would give us a real test which is why I wanted to play them and it's proved we have got a hell of a lot of work to do in all departments.
"We can't afford to defend like that and expect to come away with a result from any game.
"I know it's a new back four but it's stll difficult to expain because that was nothing like I see in training every day.
"We've got to get it right first and foremost so we have got two weeks of really hard graft ahead of us."

from Cov-Mad website.

Grendel

from Cov-Mad website.

Usual drivel from the Clueless One.

sylus

i said the same last season,for a defender,like thorn was,his team can't defend..very odd

sky_blue_up_north

As stated in another thread did Newcastle not lose 6 -1 to Orient in pre season friendly last season, and went on to have storming season. As many other have said, let see what happens when the 'real' game start.

andyboy81

I agree that this is simply not good enough. However sacking Thorn at this present moment in time would be suicide.

Having said that I HAD a season ticket last season and game after game I "went on" about how he is tactically inept and unable to read a game and make the relevant changes required (i.e closing out games in last 10 mins when we can all see that we are being overrun in certain areas). The worry I have is that at this stage of pre season the matches have to be getting more and more about the result and not just about a run out to gain fitness. The players need to build some confidence and momentum ahead of the news season and a 4 - 1 defeat to a team like Wrexham is going to put them back weeks!

Personally, I would give him until 4.50pm on 25th August to make an impression. If not.... then have a meeting without tea and wish him luck in his future endeavours.

Nick

Administrator
What tactic could he have been testing out? I agree that friendlies are where you try things out but I still think that we should want to win EVERY game whether it is a friendly, a training game or a cup final.

Against Nuneaton there was half an excuse as it was youngsters and trialists.

I wasn't at the game so I can't say if the tactics and formation kept changing but the reports from people who were there weren't too impressed and there has been no mention of "Thorn was trying out lots of different things".

I know they are only friendlies but surely going into our first game after we had beaten Hinckley 8-0 would give us a bit of a different frame of mind compared to going into it losing 4-1 against Wrexham?

ccfcway

hows the German lad getting on ?, Thorn give him another chance ?Obvioulsy, I know he has gone home, but Thorn can make a decison based on one game and a weeks training, yet fans cant make decision based on 15 months of management ?

Users who are viewing this thread