Ben Stevenson - Brentford (1 Viewer)

tisza

Difference with the Peterborough model is that usually the players they're selling are ones they bought in cheap rather than academy products.
Does actually beg a separate question was the scouting system ever sorted out like Mowbray wanted? Weren't we down to one scout or something at the time?

D

Deleted member 2477

Would like to see a

What do you mean? They've been quite open in the fact that they won't invest and will look for the club to breakeven. Is a Crewe model that bad? They spent a number of years in the second tier despite having tiny crowds.

I think it's too early for Stevenson to go, both for us, for him and for Brentford but I understand that selling players is going to be a necessary evil in the absence of sufficient revenue to make it unnecessary.
If your happy to settle for a club like ours to float around in the old 3rd and 4th devision scraping suvival every season then nothing. Personally id like a club who has owners with ambition, to provide exitement and the chance of a play off place or good cup run but under Sisu selling anything not nailed down and investing jack shit theres no chance of that

Chipfat

Would like to see a

What do you mean? They've been quite open in the fact that they won't invest and will look for the club to breakeven. Is a Crewe model that bad? They spent a number of years in the second tier despite having tiny crowds.

I think it's too early for Stevenson to go, both for us, for him and for Brentford but I understand that selling players is going to be a necessary evil in the absence of sufficient revenue to make it unnecessary.

I said i don't think the Crewe model is bad, even said it, my issue with our owners is how they are running the club. If you are running it just fund the ongoing business without desire for it to improve the club, its Crewe, however if you do it to fund success like Southampton then it has a purpose.

As for Stevenson, his agent now will be pushing the move, he has been given the green light so to speak and will get the best deal for his client or himself, which will be more likely...

fernandopartridge

If your happy to settle for a club like ours to float around in the old 3rd and 4th devision scraping suvival every season then nothing. Personally id like a club who has owners with ambition, to provide exitement and the chance of a play off place or good cup run but under Sisu selling anything not nailed down and investing jack shit theres no chance of that

Like I deliberately mentioned in my post, Crewe spent time in the second tier.
Do you know what ambition and investment mean?

Ambition is a desire to achieve, it doesn't imply anything about how you get there.

Investment means spending money or other resource with the expectation of a return. Based on that definition, that's what SISU have done already but the problem is the returns will not materialise.

Frankly, the club was used as an investment vehicle in the late 90s which has led it to be homeless and destitute. Who wants more of that?

torchomatic

Difference with the Peterborough model is that usually the players they're selling are ones they bought in cheap rather than academy products.
Does actually beg a separate question was the scouting system ever sorted out like Mowbray wanted? Weren't we down to one scout or something at the time?

Yes, I know. I just said that's the model we should follow. It has served them well for years.

torchomatic

What you on about, where did i say i care more than anyone.

It was the Thanks to Tim and Joy most are now settling for L2 standard and are happy to excuse very short minded people who do not care about you, the club or its history only its shell to be able to carry on this stupid game bit that threw me. But as you say you're not settling for it like the rest of us apparently are.

Chipfat

It was the Thanks to Tim and Joy most are now settling for L2 standard and are happy to excuse very short minded people who do not care about you, the club or its history only its shell to be able to carry on this stupid game bit that threw me. But as you say you're not settling for it like the rest of us apparently are.

I want my club to be the best it can, i don't think it is on or off the field at this current time, i care for the club no more than anyone else on here. As for those settling for it, i didnt mean that in a way that undermines anyone. I spoke to my mate last night who went with his son, i m not judging him pretending i knowing more, caring more or hurting any less im not into ridiculing anyone who goes. I just find it hard to sit and watch in a place not our own, when not so long ago we had the pleasure of seeing some of the best players to play in this country on any given week.

tisza

Yes, I know. I just said that's the model we should follow. It has served them well for years.
fair enough.
Wrote on here a few days I like the Peterborough model.
Openness from top of the club; acknowledgment can't really compete with CHampionship finances,;policy of attacking, entertaining football to at least give the fans something if it isn't able to afford sustained success.

Gaz71

Just seen Watford have bid 8 m for Brentford striker Scott Hogan, Time to inflate Stevenson's value!

Grendel

We need to get as little money as possible. It all goes into joys handbag anyway

Right?

shmmeee

Still don't think £1m is worth it. Seems to be what Sisu will accept for any youngster regardless though.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I have been saying on here for a long time the club is running a Crewe type model, its very clear and has been for a while. I have no problem with this plan just wish someone at the club would say it without spinning it as something else. The owners are running it as a farm to feed a business, not a business to help success on the field, this is done without any care about what is on the field. They are not concerned about the success on the field as long as they can put 11 players on a pitch to keep the FL from the door nothing will change.

Harries is the next one out the door, if not this window come summer he will be gone, the only good thing i can see out of this is we have a few good players that will be given the chance to progress into the 1st team and be in the shop window for others to start bidding. Stevenson will sadly not be the last and while some will say every club is a selling club, so its ok, others see it for what it is. This club is on a complete wheel of bullshit and sadly the fans are being treated like idiots and are asked to follow the piper because of the love and passion they have for the club. These are owners who are playing on the hearts and passions of fans, not to mention minds...

I have made my mind up about what the club means to me while its being ran this way, i want nothing more than a change of ownership, don't get me wrong you can still run a club very successfully club with this type of program. But a club likes our should be ran with an eye on the future on and off the field, not run with only eyes off the field and just rotating staff to pretend you are doing otherwise. The pattern is obvious, the rhetoric is obvious, we are running it like Crewe with the same ambition as Crewe which is the most worrying thought of a club that should be doing so much better.

Thanks to Tim and Joy most are now settling for L2 standard and are happy to excuse very short minded people who do not care about you, the club or its history only its shell to be able to carry on this stupid game.

The only downside with the Crewe 'model' is that when the talent coming through dries up, as is happening now, then you have a big problem. I saw them play a shocker on Saturday and there were no signs of any emerging talent. No future Ashton, Varney, Westwood, Savage, Powell, etc that I could see. Much grumbling though from the dwindling band of supporters with many of them calling for the Manager's head afterwards.

When Dean Ashton was sold to West Ham some years ago for £3 million, their Academy at the time cost £500,000 p.a. to run and the first reaction from their Management was that the sale guaranteed their survival for 6 years at least. Whilst financial prudence is to be admired, there seems to be little or no footballing ambition in their overall strategy. Back in their Championship days when they briefly got up to the dizzy heights of 7th or 8th, the local wags were convinced that Gradi was told to put the brakes on by the Directors as the prospect of promotion to the Premier League frightened them to death.

torchomatic

I don't mind it. Most clubs in this league do it. The key is getting the right loans.

Agree, like last year. Teams have been promoted from this league and below with loans.

torchomatic

Last time we did this we got the Bournemouth 3 !! Complete disaster that was!

Last time we did this was Sunday. I think Reilly looks useful. And, Slade is a much better manager than Pressley.

Warwickhunt

I will be most upset if they let Stevenson go for less than £2 million + add ons, about time we told these cheap skates to fuck off. The premiership keeps most of the sky money and it's the only way we can get a fair share of it . No way should we sell the player to a championship club that will be back in div 1 shortly

shmmeee

Last time we did this was Sunday. I think Reilly looks useful. And, Slade is a much better manager than Pressley.

Big difference between choosing from all possible players and picking from a selection given by a particular team though.

Frankly Id rather the cash and we spent it on another Jones or Lamerias who might come good than loaning some kid who is no better than what we've got because we are desperate to get the sale done.

torchomatic

Then it's rinse rebuild repeat every season, which is why we are where we are.

And where we'll stay while we have dwindling income and zero chance to increase it. Sad, but true.

torchomatic

Big difference between choosing from all possible players and picking from a selection given by a particular team though.

Frankly Id rather the cash and we spent it on another Jones or Lamerias who might come good than loaning some kid who is no better than what we've got because we are desperate to get the sale done.

Yes, I'd rather have cold hard cash too. If they only offer us youngsters then I wouldn't be happy, but more experienced players? Let's see who they are first. Oh, and see whether this is true.

Last edited:

Grendel

Spend it on another Lameries?

Grendel

Still don't think £1m is worth it. Seems to be what Sisu will accept for any youngster regardless though.

I know. We should have hung on for that £35 million for Bigi

Users who are viewing this thread