Best Coventry Central Midfielder? (1 Viewer)

Adge

Vincente N'Gonga for me!
Stuart Robson or Gary Mac in truth.

Warwickhunt

George boater and Stewart Robson but will always remembering the one and only Lloyd mcgrath

Johnnythespider

There are 4 that I can think of. Terry Yorath, Dean Emerson, George Boateng and Stewart Robson. Emmo and Robson would have won England caps with us had it not been for Injuries. Boateng was immense and Yorath was just very hard.
I liked Boozy but not a patch on the others.
Dean Emerson was a great player until Gary twatting Megson snapped him in half, to this day that tackle makes him my least favourite player ever. Emerson was as tough as McGrath but could also play.

Qwerty70

Just missed Yoarth but according to my Dad he was very good.
I remember from the early 80s & the three standouts are Emerson, Boateng & Robson.
I saw Boateng make his debut @ Anfield and he was best player on the pitch, 3 weeks he absolutely bossed the game in a 3-1 cup win. One of the best team performances I have ever from a City side that day. Boateng was class.

Before Gary Megson performed a horrific tackle Dean Emerson was probably the outstanding central midfielder in the country and would have moved to a Liverpool, Arsenal etc and won 50 caps plus for England.

Stewart Robson was a wreck for one season was absolutely brilliant. Energy levels of a Duracell bunny, could pick a pass and never lost a 50/50.

For city all these 3 performed better than Gary Mc.

KG7

he only had the type of players around him that he needed for one season. The only player who ever used to move for him was Huckerby until the Moroccans came.

That may (or may not) have been the case but he still only had one good season for us. The best season we had during his time with us was when he was injured...

Bob Latchford

Barry Powell .

SkyBlueGuy

Yup, his 'legacy' is coloured by having a great final season. if he'd had a fantastic first season then two mediocre ones, people wouldn't think anywhere near so well of him.

Surely the fact that he then went on to be (possibly) the best player in a Liverpool team that went on to win the treble shows that it wasn't just a fluke season...

Rusty Trombone

Loved McGrath, the first autograph I got was his, he used to come into the bank I was working at so I told him how great I thought he was and asked him to sign a paying in slip for me, he obliged looking very embarrassed, about as embarrassed as I am now writing that.

I then went and looked at his account to see how much he was getting paid (it was in the days before anyone cared about data protection, so that's ok).

Remember one game against Spurs when Gazza was getting annoyed that McGrath was closely marking him, so Gazza elbowed McGrath in the head. McGrath just carried on, Gazza went off with a broken elbow.

My vote goes to Boateng though, although also agree with most of the names others have mentioned.

Bob Latchford

Loved McGrath, the first autograph I got was his, he used to come into the bank I was working at so I told him how great I thought he was and asked him to sign a paying in slip for me, he obliged looking very embarrassed, about as embarrassed as I am now writing that.

I then went and looked at his account to see how much he was getting paid (it was in the days before anyone cared about data protection, so that's ok).

Remember one game against Spurs when Gazza was getting annoyed that McGrath was closely marking him, so Gazza elbowed McGrath in the head. McGrath just carried on, Gazza went off with a broken elbow.

My vote goes to Boateng though, although also agree with most of the names others have mentioned.

Was at that game. after the match interview , ask the people who'd they'd rather see me [Gazza] or Mcgrath . #BitterGazza :shamefullyembarrased:

Rusty Trombone

Was at that game. after the match interview , ask the people who'd they'd rather see me [Gazza] or Mcgrath . #BitterGazza :shamefullyembarrased:
Just refreshing my memory of that game, it was New Years Day 1990, a 0:0 draw. When searching for it I also saw that Gazza also broke his arm smashing it into Boateng's head, in a Middlesborough v Villa game.

SkyblueBazza

George Boateng...losing 1-0 at Anfield back in 1998 in the FA Cup. He woke up for the 2nd half & completely bossed them out of the game. City won 3-1!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Albo

Gary Mac for me. I recall seeing him at a pre season friendly at Charlton , he was a class apart from everyone else on the pitch. He had that knack of creating so much time on the ball and using it .
Surprised not to see Steve hunt mentioned yet.

Gosford Green

Boateng
Macallister
Gynn
Stewart Robson
Yorath
Emerson

I'd say out the shortlist the nod goes to Macallister just ahead of Robson.

Gosford Green

Gary Mac for me. I recall seeing him at a pre season friendly at Charlton , he was a class apart from everyone else on the pitch. He had that knack of creating so much time on the ball and using it .
Surprised not to see Steve hunt mentioned yet.

Steve Hunt was more wide man as opposed to central midfield . Good call though, knew how to tackle.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Got to be Dennis Mortimer class act only time I've ever wrote to a chairmen about selling our future some things never change although so far there is a bit of bottle in the Stevenson situation long may it continue.

Cov kid 55

IAN GIBSON, WILLIE CARR, DENNIS MORTIMER. END OF !!! :emoji_relaxed:

That's hard to argue, Ian Gibson and Willie Carr two of my heroes. Macallister was a really good player, we should have offered him a two year contract and we may not have been relegated. Mickey Gynn gave us great service, as did Ooh Ah Lloyd McGrath. I'd also give a shout to Gordon Strachan right at the end of his long career - an excellent player. I remember a game at Southampton, he was on the bench and we were losing 2-0 with 20 minutes to go. He came on and turned the game upside down. He had so much of the ball, and the whole team were transformed by his presence and we ended up drawing 2-2, would have won if the game had lasted another 10 minutes. Never seen a non striker have such an impact on a game as a substitute. We've had some great midfielders.

georgehudson

I just feel proud & privileged to have been able to watch so many superb footballers play for CCFC.
If we're talking midfielders that must include half backs, wing halves, inside forwards, and wingers.
Therefore in my time, Brian Hill, Ronnie Farmer, Ken Hale, Ronnie Rees, Ian Gibson, Tommy Hutchinson, Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr, Barry Powell, Terry Yorath, Noel Whelan, Lloyd McGrath, Micky Gynn, Jose Perdomo, Dean Emerson, Gary McCallister, George Boateng, on & on they go, we are CCFC & proud,
todays current crop of youth look so very good,
let the legend of CCFC live on despite our current owners,
PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread