Best Coventry Central Midfielder? (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Julian Darby or Paul telfer for sure...

Hobo

Denis Mortimer, Terry Yorath, George Boateng, Dean Emerson and Stuart Robson (despite battling against a career finishing injury by the time he came to us.

NortonSkyBlue

The first star midfielder I saw was Dave Clements, then came Ian Gibson, Willie Carr and Dennis Mortimer were special, Barry Powell and Terry Yorath were fantastic in a two, yes two man midfield, Gerry Francis was very special, as was McAllister for a spell, Gynn was great, Robson had everything but like his namesake was so fragile, Kevin Richardson had quality, Boetang was the enforcer and a great athlete.
Marsden was the best loan ever.
Dennis Mortimer for me, he was ours and a truly great player and despite what was written earlier in this thread he was no judas. The club needed the money otherwise we were bankrupt and no: Wasps, CCC or sisu were not involved.

bringbackrattles

The first star midfielder I saw was Dave Clements, then came Ian Gibson, Willie Carr and Dennis Mortimer were special, Barry Powell and Terry Yorath were fantastic in a two, yes two man midfield, Gerry Francis was very special, as was McAllister for a spell, Gynn was great, Robson had everything but like his namesake was so fragile, Kevin Richardson had quality, Boetang was the enforcer and a great athlete.
Marsden was the best loan ever.
Dennis Mortimer for me, he was ours and a truly great player and despite what was written earlier in this thread he was no judas. The club needed the money otherwise we were bankrupt and no: Wasps, CCC or sisu were not involved.
Good post. My Judas dig was tongue in cheek as he went to Villa !

andyboy81

Gary McCallister for me too I think.

The other great thing about him was his delivery / dead ball ability. Whenever we had a corner or free kick you always had a feeling of "we could create something here" and I don't think we have had that since he left.

baldy

I too agree with most on here,especially about the McAllisters,Marsdens,Robsons,McGraths & Boatengs of the world
Just a random selection,but how about Lee Hurst,Kev Macdonald,Sandy Robertson,Paul Cook,Mike Marsh,Eoin Jess,Noel Whelan,John Eustace,Phillipe Clement & Lee Carsley?(Not necessarily great players,just interested in what peeps thoughts of these bozos,haha)

NortonSkyBlue

Gary McAllister should never have joined us, he was a cut above our standard and had to play with inferior players for a couple of years, once he had better players around him he was brilliant IMO. His move to Liverpool and his subsequent success emphasised that point. We got him at his peak and frankly that was to his detriment.
He came for Strachan and of course the money and I for one am delighted we had such a player in our shirt.
I remember the 1-1 draw at West Ham where he was booed by our supporters but as I remember it he spent the game covering for Reggie Genaux, who was having a nightmare, and he sacrificed himself for the team. It was his second game!

KG7

Gary McCallister for me too I think.

The other great thing about him was his delivery / dead ball ability. Whenever we had a corner or free kick you always had a feeling of "we could create something here" and I don't think we have had that since he left.

Haha! No way! Whenever he took a corner it was always a near post floater which we never scored from. We used to joke about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Haha! No way! Whenever he took a corner it was always a near post floater which we never scored from. We used to joke about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Telfer was more successful in the role!

Some serious rose tinted specs about McAllister, the timing of his one good season with us is the reason. Not to say he wasn't a good player on his day, he didn't impose himself on games on his own like some of the others mentioned could.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Looking for the right thread to post this on, and i guess this kind of fits the bill. Definitely doesn't meet the requirement of 'Best City Midfielder' mind. Went with a friend to Cheltenham v Bradford last night. Friend I went with supports Cheltenham and it was £5 a ticket so thought why the hell not. Was vaguely entertaining and at that price you can't really go wrong. The game kind of bypassed our old fan favourite Romain Vincelot, but the star performer by a stretch was a one & only Mark Marshall. He absolutely tore Cheltenham apart until he was subbed at around 60minutes. Whether it was down the middle, down the right or the left, he caused them all kinds of problems. Cheltenham fans around me were delighted when they saw the number 7 go up on the sub board, I imagine the Cheltenham defence were even more elated, but I assume he had knackered himself out. Where was this Mark Marshall for us? And how we could do with someone of his style on our right midfield at the moment (never thought i would be saying that!)

superskyblue

Gary Mac for me too. His ability to pick a pass, dictate tempo of the game and put the odd foot in here and there was brilliant. We've not had a player of his quality since, and probably never will again.

georgehudson

I know it's a real 'back in the day' job, but in my previous listing I forgot to mention Ernie Machin, he, along with the likes of Sillett, Curtis, Hudson & Rees, epitomised the true spirit of JH's Sky Blues

ovduk78

I know it's a real 'back in the day' job, but in my previous listing I forgot to mention Ernie Machin, he, along with the likes of Sillett, Curtis, Hudson & Rees, epitomised the true spirit of JH's Sky Blues
Wasn't Ernie Machin the player Jimmy Hill paid for by giving the selling club a new football kit? I was at a CCFC London Supporters Club dinner where Jimmy Hill was the guest speaker and he said that he was the best player he signed for us.

cloughie

Haven't read the whole thread but Ian Gibson, Dennis Mortimer, Hadji and everyone seems to forget Steve Hunt a superb player

cloughie

Telfer was more successful in the role!

Some serious rose tinted specs about McAllister, the timing of his one good season with us is the reason. Not to say he wasn't a good player on his day, he didn't impose himself on games on his own like some of the others mentioned could.
Unfortunately he was played in the wrong role by the know it all strachen but the all knowing one played a left back at right back and a right back at left back in the same game

Cov kid 55

Wasn't Ernie Machin the player Jimmy Hill paid for by giving the selling club a new football kit? I was at a CCFC London Supporters Club dinner where Jimmy Hill was the guest speaker and he said that he was the best player he signed for us.

Ernie Machin was an excellent player, and didn

Ernie Machin was an excellent player and key to our success in the mid 60's. Didn't J H say he'd signed him because he liked his blue eyes?

ovduk78

Ernie Machin was an excellent player and key to our success in the mid 60's. Didn't J H say he'd signed him because he liked his blue eyes?
I don't remember that but I do remember the approving "yes's" from those who were old enough to have witnessed our rise when Jimmy Hill was talking about him

Voice_of_Reason

So who do we think our best ever CM was?

For me it's got to be Gary McCallister. I remember he had some bad games as he came back from injury and even got booed off the pitch. But when he was fit I genuinely think he was one of the best UK born players to have graced the game. He wasn't great at tackling back but he was so good at distributing the ball he made even the great Stephen Gerrard look average.
Denis Mortimer

NortonSkyBlue

At the Regents Park Marriott in 96 Jimmy Hill indeed did say that about Ernie Machin and he said he never caused a problem at all which could not be said of Ian Gibson. He also said it was the happiest time of life and that of his parents.

Users who are viewing this thread