Big Sam for England (1 Viewer)

Orca

1. West Brom 44%
2. Sunderland 45%
3. Leicester 46%
4. Watford 47%

Otis

Didn't Leicester have one xof the lowest possession stats in the league last year?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well yes, but I don't think they play a way an Allardyce team plays do they?

Last edited:

stupot07

Well yes, but I don't think they play a way an Allardyce team plays do they?
Which allerdyce team? Not all of them played a big man with route one football.

I keep saying that he wouldn't be my first choice, but I also don't see how he will set the team back years.

He gets labelled as long ball unfairly IMO, he played good football at Bolton, he also played some good stuff at west ham, and from what I saw of Sunderland towards the end last season they were hardly long ball hit and hope with Defoe standing up front on his own. You have to remember at a lot of these clubs hes been brought in to do a particular job, and to utilise the players he has at his desposal and play to their strengths.

Since Venables and reaching the semi final of the euros , we've had hoddle, Keegan, Erikson, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson -> all have failed. I really don't see how allerdyce can be any worse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yes, that brilliantly successful Sunderland team.

Or the Bolton team, where he spent way way beyond the club's means in an attempt to qualify for Europe. Look where they are now.

Or his Newcastle and Blackburn sides, he left them both shortly before they were both relegated.

He's another Harry Redknapp, relying on idiot chairman to fund his splurges. He won't be able to do that with England and will have to work with what he's got.

I'm pretty sure both Newcastle and Blackburn would not have been relegated under had allardyce stayed at them clubs.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Also don't believe this long game tag is a 'myth' as has been suggested.

Had that tag of a long ball merchant thrown at him for years, which he vehemently denies, but Sunderland last season had less possession than any other side and also played the least short passes of any side.

If we are going for Allardyce I think we may well need to start breeding a generation of Andy Carroll's.

Isn't there also going to be the problem of players playing for England in a style completely alien to how they play for their clubs?

I find it a worrying choice.

Good, fed up of playing short passes sideways and backwards for years.

Nick

Administrator
Anybody remember people going on about the long throw being dated and ancient when we played Iceland?

It seems to work a lot better than letting big strikers take corners and free kicks that are on the half way line.

eastwoodsdustman

Everyone calling Allardyce a dinosaur needs to look into him a bit more. He was one of the first managers in England to embrace sports science and the like. He is well known as being very thorough with his team preparation and is forward thinking if he thinks it will help his team.
People hear his accent and manner and think that he's an old school type with a sheepskin coat, flat cap, cigar and a brown envelope full of used fifties. He's not.

Otis

Everyone calling Allardyce a dinosaur needs to look into him a bit more. He was one of the first managers in England to embrace sports science and the like. He is well known as being very thorough with his team preparation and is forward thinking if he thinks it will help his team.
People hear his accent and manner and think that he's an old school type with a sheepskin coat, flat cap, cigar and a brown envelope full of used fifties. He's not.
Are you trying to tell me he is NOT Mike Bassett?

uploadfromtaptalk1468485638343.jpg

Come on!!! They even look alike!

Otis

But isn't that what we had before we started to try and play better football?

Wasn't enough before. Plenty of heart and spirit, but outplayed by everyone.

ccfcway

we have underachieved pretty much since I was born.

Paid far too much for inept managers and the players don't seem to care

England are similar

;)

Otis

In the olden days we use to be stronger and more physical than nearly everyone else and were regularly beating teams 4 and 5 nil.

Then everyone started becoming more athletic and we then got beaten by technique.

We started to compete with technique, but now the spirit and fight is missing, so we are going to go back to strength and power.

Think next world cup we are going to be accused of kick and rush and goal hanging I reckon.

ccfc92

It's a yes from me.

Can't think of any other realistic managers that will do much better.

fernandopartridge

I look forward to Sam Allardyce with his great experience of helping teams avoiding relegation or finishing mid table coming up against continental sides of the sort he's hardly met. Bobby Gould should have got the job when Graham Taylor got the sack by that rationale, and he won more than Allardyce.
Then again, how bad can it be?

Captain Dart

SkyblueBazza

Even though he surely would have been better than Woy.
He would probably achieved success on the pitch but rubbed too many 'up the wrong way' in the corridors of the FA...that's where & how we fail.
Money is no object, but ego's are absolutely priceless.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

stevefloyd

Cloughie was an absolute legend, wasn't afraid to make changes his teams played good football, their disciplinary was pretty good too, didn't think he was quite the same though without Peter Taylor but together they were fantastic

ajsccfc

They're only talking to Steve Bruce to make people feel better about Allardyce getting the job right?

Right?

Grendel

I'd prefer Bruce but anyway Big Sam is being offered the job tonight.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Allardici expected to be named in the next 24 hours, if the FA were insistent on English it's the best appointment we could have hoped for

higgs

Seems like a like for like swap with Hodgson and big Sam pretty much the same football and end result of under achieving again. Qualify again and then go out with a whimper

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

I actually give credit to the FA. They're trying a different character who has only really had the chance to work with a relatively small number of the very best players. His percieved hard-graft, disciplined & passionate approach certainly will be welcome imo

...onwards & upwards PUSB

skyblue1991

I still have no idea why Hodgson got the job in the first place. Was never a good appointment in my eyes but I gave him.a chance and he turned out to be a failure.

The football hasnt been the hoof ball that Allardyce has been renown for from what I've seen when Sunderland have played. Go on Sunderland's forums and see how they feel.

It may not be exiting football but what this England team needs is a kick up the arse, brought back to earth and a winning mentality. I think Allardyce is the right man for that. He gets crap teams playing well and winning games and thats where we stand at the moment.

I look forward to the first game.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Allardyce has always given the impression to me that he couldn't care less about egos and who'd been on the cover of a computer game. He cares only about winning. FFS he continued to pick the paedo Adam Johnson because he thought it would give him a better chance of 3 points.

what a glowing endorsement!

Users who are viewing this thread