Bin men strikes (1 Viewer)

Covstu

sorry rubbish subject but what are the strikes in Birmingham over? Are they being reduced in numbers? How are cov council workers affected with the change to a 2 week cycle?

Nick

Administrator
Have they got agencies running them instead or is the rubbish just on the street?

bezzer

I think it's due to a lot of them having their jobs downgraded and having to take a pay cut.

But I might be talking rubbish.....

Marty

Fuck em, The lazy fuckers do mine every 2 weeks anyway. Phoned them numerous times but they say it's only half full so it can wait. Too which my reply is I pay for a service so I expect them to do it full stop.

Nick

Administrator
Fuck em, The lazy fuckers do mine every 2 weeks anyway. Phoned them numerous times but they say it's only half full so it can wait. Too which my reply is I pay for a service so I expect them to do it full stop.

Surprised they haven't refused to empty it now due to you having a plastic bottle in it or something.

I had a garden waste bin and they refused to take for about 4 months because it was too heavy, in the end the wife wheeled it out for them to the lorry.

Marty

Surprised they haven't refused to empty it now due to you having a plastic bottle in it or something.

I had a garden waste bin and they refused to take for about 4 months because it was too heavy, in the end the wife wheeled it out for them to the lorry.

I believe in recycling and saving the earth's resources and all that bollocks. So I'm more then happy to split my waste. Probably a waste of time as the dopey clowns probably just incinerate it anyway.

Nick

Administrator
If the rounds have been changed from Weekly to Fortnightly does that mean the binmen do less rounds or are they just doing an extra round of recycling instead?

fernandopartridge

It isn't them who decided to cut the collections down to two weeks

CCFCSteve

fernandopartridge

17k for walking a bin to a lorry and pressing a button?

Bin men have always been well paid, I joked about it when I left school that I would be one because I'd get paid loads more than any of my mates.

Binmen in Birmingham paid £225,000 in a single year | Metro News
You're a right obnoxious twat at times. What job do you do that's so valuable? Lowly dustmen not worth £17k but nevertheless if they're not working it's a major problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
You're a right obnoxious twat at times. What job do you do that's so valuable? Lowly dustmen not worth £17k but nevertheless if they're not working it's a major problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I haven't said they are lowly. I have said they get paid a fair bit in comparison with the job they do.

£17k compared with a policeman on £19-£20k starting wage.

It was nothing against them, I am related to a bin man ;) He lives the dream in fairness, he drives the bin lorry and gets paid a fair whack for it as well.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
17k is shite. Not far off minimum wage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not that bad for a first job to then work up when you think about it. Starting off in the army is £14k, Police 19k - 20k.

I think my first full time job was about 10k a year, hence I said I joked about being a bin man as I would have earnt more.

fernandopartridge

I haven't said they are lowly. I have said they get paid a fair bit in comparison with the job they do.

£17k compared with a policeman on £19-£20k starting wage.

It was nothing against them, I am related to a bin man ;) He lives the dream in fairness, he drives the bin lorry and gets paid a fair whack for it as well.

So? The comparison with a policeman is meaningless. The implication is more likely that a policeman is underpaid. £17k is a shite salary and not enough to live any sort of life on. £1236 a month without any deductions for pension etc. Less than the cost of running the average household.

Nick

Administrator
So? The comparison with a policeman is meaningless. The implication is more likely that a policeman is underpaid. £17k is a shite salary and not enough to live any sort of life on. £1236 a month without any deductions for pension etc. Less than the cost of running the average household.

It depends who it is for surely? It's about the same as a Manager at McDonalds, it's more than somebody working in Tesco or ASDA.

Granted, that wage alone is not going to buy a big house but you would think they would move up the ladder if they wanted to.

At 19-20 I would have lived an amazing life on £1236 and still had enough to put £600 a month away to save for a mortgage. Now having a house and family it wouldn't be enough to support them granted, but it would still pay more than going to get a job at Tesco full time and would pay a fair proportion towards running it.

I've seen relatives care for dying people and spend 12 hours a night wiping arses, changing catheters and watching people they have grown close to die for a hell of a lot less than £17k and a lot more hours so when you compare it with things it isn't actually that bad a wage for unskilled labour.

It's not saying it is a "lowly" job, but it's not as if they are walking up driveways and carrying bins on their back like the olden days. They push a bin 10 yards and press a button and then back again, if it is too heavy they leave it.

A web designer for example, £17k would mean you need a degree and experience in a graduate job, £17k is a nursery nurse with a Level 3 NVQ.

ccfctommy

I believe in recycling and saving the earth's resources and all that bollocks. So I'm more then happy to split my waste. Probably a waste of time as the dopey clowns probably just incinerate it anyway.
Nah. Councils get fines if too much is contaminated.

Nick

Administrator
If you go to the tip the fellas there are really on top of it as well making sure something is in the right skip.

fernandopartridge

It depends who it is for surely? It's about the same as a Manager at McDonalds, it's more than somebody working in Tesco or ASDA.

Granted, that wage alone is not going to buy a big house but you would think they would move up the ladder if they wanted to.

At 19-20 I would have lived an amazing life on £1236 and still had enough to put £600 a month away to save for a mortgage. Now having a house and family it wouldn't be enough to support them granted, but it would still pay more than going to get a job at Tesco full time and would pay a fair proportion towards running it.

I've seen relatives care for dying people and spend 12 hours a night wiping arses, changing catheters and watching people they have grown close to die for a hell of a lot less than £17k and a lot more hours so when you compare it with things it isn't actually that bad a wage for unskilled labour.

It's not saying it is a "lowly" job, it is saying in perspective it isn't actually that bad money compared to other unskilled jobs with no qualifications needed etc. Obviously when you become a driver it's skilled so you get paid more along the lines of what drivers do.

What's your point? Careworkers are also chronically underpaid, as are many other 'unskilled' jobs.

Why do CEOs looking after companies that employ thousands of unskilled workers see their pay increase year on year, whilst the poor sods at the bottom get nothing?

stupot07

What's your point? Careworkers are also chronically underpaid, as are many other 'unskilled' jobs.

Why do CEOs looking after companies that employ thousands of unskilled workers see their pay increase year on year, whilst the poor sods at the bottom get nothing?
Come on those at the top work harder than those at the bottom, that's why the Tories reduced the 50p tax rate and inheritance tax, to reward those that work the hardest.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator

The point is that in reality £17k isn't actually that bad for a starting wage where you don't need to be qualified.

I don't agree with CEO's who can't actually do proper jobs either. I'd much rather them be people who started at the bottom and worked their way up.

Marty

Probably because the decisions they make directly influence the performance of a company. Where as the rest of us are just numbers and very replaceable.

Nick

Administrator
Amazed there's not a huge rush to pick up other peoples' shit given they live a life of caviar and meths when not working.

There are plenty of unemployed people, £17k a year isn't to be sniffed at as opposed to basic benefits surely?

It's in no way saying it's a lowly job, it was just comparing it to other jobs in the same sort of bracket.

NorthernWisdom

There are plenty of unemployed people, £17k a year isn't to be sniffed at as opposed to basic benefits surely?

It's in no way saying it's a lowly job, it was just comparing it to other jobs in the same sort of bracket.
So what other job can you do for £17k that gives you the perks of waking up in the middle of the night to go outside in the freezing cold and pick up other people's shit?

Nick

Administrator
So what other job can you do for £17k that gives you the perks of waking up in the middle of the night to go outside in the freezing cold and pick up other people's shit?

You could get a job for about £13-14k cleaning the actual shit out of people, their clothes and their bedding all through the night working much longer hours every week and only get paid for about 75% of the hours worked because you don't get paid to go between locations.

That's a bit different to pushing a wheelie bin from the kerb to a lorry and picking up little bits that may have fallen out.

Let's not pretend bin men are on their hands and knees scrubbing up the mess of the rich people for a pittance. They don't take it if they deem it to be in the wrong place, too heavy, has something in it that shouldn't be in it etc anyway for health and safety.

Users who are viewing this thread