Birmingham Airport (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't know about any one else, but this airport really winds me up.

Living so close you would think it would be really convenient, but I fly a lot and can almost never use it due to the lack of decent destinations or frequent routes I tend to take. The affordability compared to the same routes from other airports is also often astronomical in comparison.

Then you find when you do actually find somewhere you want to go from BHX, the flight times are completely unreasonable (can put up with that) but the days the planes go just don't make sense. Planning a mates stag recently and the destination we wanted to go to was available on two airlines from BHX, but they flew on the exact same days of the week. Completely stupid.

Baggage claims and customs are also a joke, seems they are having issues again today too:

Updates: 'Chaos' at Birmingham Airport as returning travellers face delays

LastGarrison

I also fly regularly for work and I find it fine!

Have to transit in Amsterdam, Munich etc. to a lot of destinations but still easier than travelling to Heathrow, Gatwick etc.

rondog1973

Rarely fly from there now.

Missus owns an apartment in Turkey. Used to fly regular to Bodrum with Monarch. They encountered financial difficulties recently and as a consequence that service ceased. Can'the understand why as the plane was always full when we boarded.

Speculating, but think the airport are trying to obtain more prestigious, business orientated flights. As Birmingham becomes a more globalised city, routes to stag do/holiday locations will be less of a priority.

An opportunity for Baginton perhaps!

chiefdave

What winds me up is we've had all this about passenger capacity and how are we going to fly more people in to London. Why not put a second runway in at Birmingham. Everything doesn't need to be in London. Same with HS2, you only ever hear about how much quicker it will be to London.

Rich

I usually fly from there when I go on package holidays and never have a problem.

Macca

Yeh guess it depends what you need it for. Fly loads for business hand luggage only and it's great.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Rarely fly from there now.

Missus owns an apartment in Turkey. Used to fly regular to Bodrum with Monarch. They encountered financial difficulties recently and as a consequence that service ceased. Can'the understand why as the plane was always full when we boarded.

Speculating, but think the airport are trying to obtain more prestigious, business orientated flights. As Birmingham becomes a more globalised city, routes to stag do/holiday locations will be less of a priority.

An opportunity for Baginton perhaps!

Can't see Baginton kicking off as a stag destination! 'The old mill' & 'The oak' are nice enough but not a lot else going on, maybe paint balling at the Lunt fort or flower arranging at the nursery!

hill83

Living so close you would think it would be really convenient, but I fly a lot and can almost never use it due to the lack of decent destinations or frequent routes I tend to take. The affordability compared to the same routes from other airports is also often astronomical in comparison.

Then you find when you do actually find somewhere you want to go from BHX, the flight times are completely unreasonable (can put up with that) but the days the planes go just don't make sense. Planning a mates stag recently and the destination we wanted to go to was available on two airlines from BHX, but they flew on the exact same days of the week. Completely stupid.

Baggage claims and customs are also a joke, seems they are having issues again today too:

mprGA.gif

chiefdave

Can't see Baginton kicking off as a stag destination!
Baginton won't ever have commercial passenger flights again unless it is hugely revamped. After the council denied permission to bring the passenger terminal up to standard that side of the airport was redeveloped.

clint van damme

I blame the tories mate.

CJ_covblaze

I've never had a problem with Brum for either holidays, away trips or business. East Mids last year was a bit ropey. Didn't seem to be able to handle a Dreamliner. One I can't stand is Stansted. Fly from there more than any other and it's a pain in the arse.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've never had a problem with Brum for either holidays, away trips or business. East Mids last year was a bit ropey. Didn't seem to be able to handle a Dreamliner. One I can't stand is Stansted. Fly from there more than any other and it's a pain in the arse.

Why is Stansted a pain in the arse? It used to be really good until they moved the security around, now it is really inefficient.

Birmingham is still the worst though, for everything.

CJ_covblaze

Why is Stansted a pain in the arse? It used to be really good until they moved the security around, now it is really inefficient.

Birmingham is still the worst though, for everything.

It's mainly down to the length of time I need to wait at security. It's always full of numties that take ages to put their bags through. They seem to wait to get their liquids, phones, belts, laptops etc out when they get to the trays, not before. Imo if they're not ready they should be made to queue again! Granted it does happen at every airport but it does to tend to occur more there than anywhere else.

Gatwick is an odd one. I don't mind the North Terminal but the South is crap. Granted, waiting for a plane is a tediously boring and annoying activity anywhere but waiting at that one makes it worse. It's not much different to what was at Baginton!

SkyblueBazza

I fly in & out of Manchester & believe me - baggage check area is atrocious - always seem all over the place & takes frigging ages

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

scottccfc

Took us 1hr 30 to get our bags from btum last wednesday and we was the only flight in the baggage hall

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I've only ever used Birmingham and East Mids.

Only time at East Mids I was the one who had a 'random bag check' - seeing the customs bloke holding your bag in the air asking 'whose bag is this' thinking 'shit it's mine!' Despite knowing you've done nothing wrong. I blame the rogue bookies pen that was in one of the sections of my bag I'd forgotten about (sharp object I guess when going through the scanner!). I let the bloke keep it after as I didn't want it causing me anymore grief :(
Then the past 3 times returning st Brum, every time either the automatic passport gates have rejected me, and even one of the human passport checkers asked me for a second form of ID believing my picture wasn't of me! I'm beginning to think I'm being watched every time I try to re enter the country ha!

Terry Gibson's perm

Flown from lots of major airports in the U.K. Birmingham,Heathrow,Gatwick,Manchester, East Midlands, Edinburgh ,Glasgow the two Belfast airports,Londonderry and Coventry;). Jersey and Guernsey and the Isle of Man (a five hour wait wait at the iom was not a lot of fun)

Flying has become more difficult over the years and I am glad I never have to fly for work now

fernandopartridge

Manchester is the worst, it's been extended so many times it feels so disjointed, plans afoot to rebuild it I believe. Brum isn't too bad, quite small so pretty straight forward. Cov was great when that did passenger flights.

Covstu

Only used Brum and EM (one time at Heathrow). I think the frustrating bit is that you can pay more to queue dodge when checking in which is just another way to rip people off.

I had a job interview which was at a hotel in Birmingham Airport's complex so was driving up to the hotel, go to the barrier and noticed that the cost was about £60 for an hour!! Reversed down the ramp and went to a multi story (still cost me £6!).

Ranjit Bhurpa

Manchester is the worst, it's been extended so many times it feels so disjointed, plans afoot to rebuild it I believe. Brum isn't too bad, quite small so pretty straight forward. Cov was great when that did passenger flights.
The expansion at Manchester now makes it feel too large, too dysfunctional and impersonal, almost as if they're trying to recreate Heathrow. We much prefer flying from Liverpool if at all possible as the overall experience is much better and it's a similar distance for us.

covcity4life

get majority of my flights from bhx as its so close. but vegas i had to go from manchester and when i go mexico its from gatwick.

so yeah they should add more destinations but no issues with the airport itself really

Gazolba

Only ever attempted to fly from there once. Never having gone there before, the bus let me off at the wrong stop and I had to lug my heavy suitcase about 2 miles to get to the terminal. I missed the flight. Had to get a taxi all the way back home to Coventry and then drive my car at 85 down the M1 to London to catch the same flight there. Just made it. Never again.

Joy Division

Only ever attempted to fly from there once. Never having gone there before, the bus let me off at the wrong stop and I had to lug my heavy suitcase about 2 miles to get to the terminal. I missed the flight. Had to get a taxi all the way back home to Coventry and then drive my car at 85 down the M1 to London to catch the same flight there. Just made it. Never again.

"the bus let me off at the wrong stop"

The BUS! You mean, you fucked up and didn't know where to get off

Users who are viewing this thread