Birmingham want Ben Turner 2-3Mil (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

BIRMINGHAM City want to sign Sky Blues defender Ben Turner and could move in with a firm bid before Saturday's Championship derby at St Andrews.
The centre-half, who turns 23 later this month, accepted a three-and-a-half-year contract extension in December, insisting he is completely settled at the Ricoh Arena.

But he would be tempted by the chance to join the club he has supported since childhood and Coventry would certainly listen to offers for a player who has been out of action since picking up a serious knee injury against Leeds in November.
They currently have a surfeit of centre-halves on their books with Richard Wood, Richard Keogh, Martin Crainie, James McPake and Nathan Cameron also competing for a first-team berth, the last two having recently signed fresh deals.

The Sky Blues would be looking for a fee in the £2-3million range from Birmingham, who have major financial problems of their own following owner Carson Yeung's arrest on money-laundering charges.

And if a deal could be agreed, Coventry would be in line for a £1m sell-on bonus because it would speed up the departure of Scott Dann, who moved to St Andrews for £3.5m two summers ago and is now a £10m target for Liverpool and Arsenal.

Otis

If true I would snap their hands off.

We have 6 centre backs and are losing hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. It's a no brainer.

mattylad

no one pays 2 or 3 million for a centre half in this league not even Leicester have spent that much, god you could get Kevin Nolan for 4 million! zzz

ccfcdan

no one pays 2 or 3 million for a centre half in this league not even Leicester have spent that much, god you could get Kevin Nolan for 4 million! zzz

Leicester paid.5 mill for Matt Mills and he's a central defender!

Turner is definately worth at least 2 mill. Let's sell him and hopefully we can get some funds for a striker.

mattylad

I stand corrected on mills, although he did play all last season unlike Turner and i still can't believe anyone will pay over 2 million for him.

edgy

I can't see SISU sanctioning any money from a sale towards a purchase. They are still wage trimming and recouping money.

I would condone the potential sale, IF Thorn would get funds. But he won't.

Lord_Nampil

Who says only birmingham are interested in him? The main problem is he's still injured and blues have no funds until they sell players. I personally think 3 million would be a good deal for us! We can use even a 1/3 of that to get 2 players!!!

ccfcrob

This is such a bad idea Ben Turner is a good local lad and at the minute we are not strong enough to be selling our best player without decet replacements, this would a good idea however if we trusted out board an AT got the money to replce the areas of the squad we need to ie, Hussey, Bell, Baker, Sheff, Clingan and a striker but we all know thats not going to happen we would probably raid Crawley Towns dressing room

skybluesam66

Ben turners birthday is 21 august - if you remember he scored on his birthday last year -the winner against derby . Dont rely on wiki for everything

mattylad

This is such a bad idea Ben Turner is a good local lad and at the minute we are not strong enough to be selling our best player without decet replacements, this would a good idea however if we trusted out board an AT got the money to replce the areas of the squad we need to ie, Hussey, Bell, Baker, Sheff, Clingan and a striker but we all know thats not going to happen we would probably raid Crawley Towns dressing room

no way we can afford any of the crawley town side

skybluesam66

rob - hussey was very poor on saturday - Clingan had an excellent first half - disappeared as we lost shape in the second

Marty

Let him go, to good an offer to turn down.:wave: may allow us to up our bid slightly for Le Fondre. Think it's a win win if we could pull that off. :p

Lloyd

How can anyone agree to sell one of our better centre halves?? It's a whole Scott dann and Danny fox situation again..

Lord_Nampil

How can anyone agree to sell one of our better centre halves?? It's a whole Scott dann and Danny fox situation again..

We have 6, and need to wheel and deal so we can get forwards and midfielders in!! It makes sense as
Long as AT gets the money!!!

Otis

if we were to sell him for 2 million then Sisu could take 1.5 million to help ease the financial situation and the 500 grand could be used to bring in a striker. The bottom line is we have SIX centre backs and need the money.

Covstu

Two issues here: 1) Brum have been getting rid of players left, right and centre so why all of a sudden are they going to sanction a £3M bid even with the sale of Dann?
2) SISU would welcome this with open arms but AT would not see much of this money hence trimming the squad down even more and relying on more reserve players. Wood and McPake have been injury prone and this is another example of city getting rid of decent players.

Otis

But even with saying that we still have Cranie, Cameron, Keogh. That's 3 plus one of either Wood or McPake.

We have too many centre backs and not enough cover in midfield and up front. It really is a no brainer I'm afraid.

Marty

2) SISU would welcome this with open arms but AT would not see much of this money hence trimming the squad down even more and relying on more reserve players. Wood and McPake have been injury prone and this is another example of city getting rid of decent players.

Turner is currently injuried, and is certainly more injury prone then Wood, the only 2 centre backs who fit into our formation/playing style are Keogh & Craine, they are the only 2 with the composure and ability to knock the ball around. Turner although a good player cannot be relied on to play 20+ games a season.

les_miserables

if we were to sell him for 2 million then Sisu could take 1.5 million to help ease the financial situation and the 500 grand could be used to bring in a striker. The bottom line is we have SIX centre backs and need the money.
What planet are you on Otis ? Whatever money we get for any player will not EASE our financiall situation just delay the inevitable, SISU will pocket it all and the impending sale of Turner is where the money is coming from to get us through to Christmas, do the maths man. Turner is fit and has been for ages, he is not being allowed to play by our board. Thorn will get nowt to spend and Clingan is next which SISU hope will get us to the end of the season. Question, what happens then. If you have any concern get to Kenilworth Thursday night with or without tickets and show it.

Otis

It would ease it, albeit temporarily. Wasn't trying to make anyone believe otherwise. £1.5 million will pay off 3 months of losses.

les_miserables

The real issue isn't selling our star men, in fact we are well covered at the back thank god, it's what happens beyond the time we run out of players to sell. I fail to see where fans miss this point. There is an opportunity Thursday night to voice our protests to SISU, who have had an unbelievably easy ride. Can you imagine what would happen at some other clubs with this situation, Everton or Leeds for example. There are people (Hoffman) waiting with real investors to come in and salvage things, but instead our team is being systematically destroyed bit by bit by an organisation who own another club (Malmo) by the way.

ashbyjan

Not sure how much credence there is in this - Brum may have a v small squad but they have just taken on Spector, and have Ridgewell, Caldwell and Curtis Davies all of whom can play centre back. Maybe Ridgwell is joining the exodus? With such a small squad cannot see any player exchange deal nor can I see them spending more than a £1m on a defender who has had one decent half a season and then been injured for 9 months. I am sure we will crow about the £2m we have received but half of this will be the Dann sell on money. We have cover at centre back and whilst Turner is probably the most dominant centre back we have we need the money simply to survive. The big question will be how much will AT see? My guess is enough to get Le Fondre or someone like that because even Doolaly must have picked up the mood of anger, resignation and despair around the Ricoh and it may just give us the lift the fans need to get them off the boards back for a bit.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Right firstly I am against any deal to sell Turner as we all know full well that AT will see none/very little of that money. Secondly Birmingham already have two premiership CB in Ridgewell and C.Davies unless there are plans to move them on also. Thirdly given Birmingham's owner's situation can they afford to go sanctioning 2-3 million pounds for a player that has just came back from a long term injury and has only has 2 months of good form in his career.

skybluesteve76

For that amount off cash, snatch their hands off. He had a few good games last season then missed the rest! Get rid. We need to keep up our tag of being blues feeder club!

rob9872

My post copied from other thread as more appropriate here:

Just at Coventry in the past few seasons we have had rave reviews for Turner, Wood, McPake, Cameron, Keogh, Cranie, Grandison, Dann, Ward .... even Barnett was decent as proved with Norwich but blighted by a couple of big errors and sending offs here. May even be some others I've missed too and yet players who came with a rep and pedigree, like ADZ were awful.

Ben Turner imo is excellent, I would be loathed to lose him, but as per that list above central defenders at this level are replaceable. They do not come up agaisnt anything like the class of forward that you get in the Premier League and for that reason I would always sell for £3m upwards. We are ok in that department, but solid replacements can be bought for less. Strikers who can score your way out of this league are priceless.

If we were building for the future and had genuine PL ambition, then we ould need to keep BT, because eh would cost a lot more to replace post-promotion, but as staying up is our realistic target this season, then we can afford to lose him, if it means that we can get a goalscorer in and can hold onto all our promising youth, plus Juke and Clingan for longer.

Users who are viewing this thread