Blaze (1 Viewer)

bigfatronssba

Wish I'd gone now, looked a great atmosphere.

bigfatronssba

Houdi

What a fantastic turn around. from a team who pre Christmas couldn't beat anyone ,and even struggling to make the play-offs , to taking out firstly the Nottingham Panthers, then the Belfast Giants to finally beating the Sheffield Steelers. The 3 big Arena teams dispatched one by one. Chuck Weber is an absolute genius in turning an average team into play off champions in just a few weeks. God we could do with a coach like him at the Ricoh, hopefully Mowbray proves to be that man. #bleedblue #coyb

chiefdave

Been watching it this afternoon, great game. They've obviously been watching us play as they did their best to throw away a lead!

CJ_covblaze

CJ_covblaze

Just wondering why some people slam certain franchise teams, then seem to support others?

Don't really get that either. They're both representing the City of Coventry and will be in the future. Not saying welcome them with open arms or support them as a fan but give them a chance to do the City proud.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic how some bring up how Wasps have been torn from their community like the Blaze were? Especially considering the Blaze have actually represented our City for longer than Wasps played at Wycombe.

Nick

Administrator
Don't really get that either. They're both representing the City of Coventry and will be in the future. Not saying welcome them with open arms or support them as a fan but give them a chance to do the City proud.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic how some bring up how Wasps have been torn from their community like the Blaze were? Especially considering the Blaze have actually represented our City for longer than Wasps played at Wycombe.

I guess the irony is IF CCFC do move a couple of miles outside of the Coventry Line what the reaction will be from some people.

I think people bring up Wasps along with Blaze because they are both teams who moved into Coventry away from their original base.

bigfatronssba

I guess the irony is IF CCFC do move a couple of miles outside of the Coventry Line what the reaction will be from some people.

I think people bring up Wasps along with Blaze because they are both teams who moved into Coventry away from their original base.

You mean like Woolwich Arsenal?

stupot07

Do wasps represent the city of Coventry? I don't feel that they do, they haven't got Coventry in their name and they ruled that out very early when they moved. In fact it's not in their interests to be called "Coventry wasps" as it will limit their appeal across the West Midlands.

At least blaze changed their name and wanted to represent Coventry. Then you have the fact that wasps muscled in and bought our stadium, and muscled in on a city that already had a league rugby club named after the city. Well and truly placing glass ceilings above both clubs.

I don't think I'll ever recognise wasps as a team representing the city of Coventry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

Just wondering why some people slam certain franchise teams, then seem to support others?

I think the major difference is that when you're talking about football or rugby you're generally talking about teams integrated into the local community for 100 years or more. Ice hockey isn't like that, it is a franchise sport, they aren't claiming any different and of course its an import from North America where it is most definitely a franchise sport.

If you look in this country the vast majority of teams at the top level were founded a relatively short time ago. Coventry are not alone in being a team that moved (and I think I'm right in saying they were in Birmingham before a move to Solihull prior to moving here), Nottingham would be considered league stalwarts but were franchised in from Sheffield, eventually a new Sheffield team was formed and is now consider a league stalwart themselves.

A lot of the time team moves or rebranding is down to finance and available facilities, yes this is the same reason Wasps gave but its not quite the same. Clubs in the UK can't afford to build their own rinks so teams tend to locate where there is a suitable facility they can hire. As we all know Wasps, we are told, have the money for a stadium so could have spent that money elsewhere.

Look at it this way, if Planet Ice were to close the SkyDome what would happen to the Blaze? It would genuinely be a case of move to a different city or cease to exist. It would be highly unlikely they could afford to finance their own facility.

chiefdave

Do wasps represent the city of Coventry? I don't feel that they do, they haven't got Coventry in their name and they ruled that out very early when they moved. In fact it's not in their interests to be called "Coventry wasps" as it will limit their appeal across the West Midlands.

Wasps don't represent Coventry to me, not in the slightest. I imagine in a generations time, if they stay here that long, there will be a new group of fans who have grown up with them as a Coventry team who will feel differently, and that is the point at which CRFC could face knock on problems.

Tad

Here's talking on BBC C&W right now. In summary,

He wanted to come back, the fans and club have been really supportive on and off the ice and he's enjoyed his time here.

They've given Weber an offer to stay and really want him too, but they realise he wants to go further in his career. As such, they'll support him regardless of his decision.

It all sounds good, and I'm not surprised to hear Weber might want to go else where. It was obvious to me he's too good for this league and winning a trophy with such a disjointed team proves it. If he did leave, I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear him get to AHL or even NHL at one point. Being selfish, I hope he stays of course.

If he does go though, it's not the end of the world. The club now know not to go for a rookie like they have done in the past and it's worth paying that bit more just to get the best out of the team and club.

chiefdave

Here's talking on BBC C&W right now.

Is it Face Off tonight? Always forget that's on, shame they don't put it up as a podcast like a lot of other BBC local stations do with sports programs.

They've given Weber an offer to stay and really want him too, but they realise he wants to go further in his career.

Read elsewhere they've made him a big money offer, not sure what that would be in UK hockey or how it would compare to what he can expect to get elsewhere.

Tad

Faceoff is usually available to hear again, just not as a download annoyingly.

As for Weber. It's not about money. The truth is, we were lucky to get him in the first place. He's young and ambitious and after winning quite a few things in America, he decided to try European hockey and was quickly signed up. Sadly, due to things going on outside his control at the club, he struggled and left. Paul Thompson then found him and offered him the job at Blaze for the remainder of the season. It was clearly obvious he was having a positive effect on the club and team and even before he won anything people wanted him back.

But here's the issue. He's tried European hockey now and the pull of perhaps moving up the ranks in America might be too tempting for him. As sad as it would be to see him go, I don't think it would be the end for Blaze. Before him, the club made two stupid mistake (which I wasn't happy with when they signed) by appointing one rookie coach after another. They won't want that again.

Tad

Good news! He's one that worked his way through our junior systems and his steadily improving season after season. His skating has come on in heaps this season and his goal in the playoffs final was taken with such confidence and calm. Glad to hear we've kept him as Brits are usually hard to keep hold of.

CCFCKirky

Good news! He's one that worked his way through our junior systems and his steadily improving season after season. His skating has come on in heaps this season and his goal in the playoffs final was taken with such confidence and calm. Glad to hear we've kept him as Brits are usually hard to keep hold of.

Especially decent Brits like him and Griffin, I think he will have a breakout year this season

Tad

Yup. I was a bit concerned as before the playoff final the EIHL held a fans forum (it went rather well too) that discussed the Brits in the league. Neil Black the owner of Nottingham and Braehead confirmed that both Nottingham and Braehead will run with 4 lines of hockey next sesson. This means more Brits will play for them due to the import limit.

That's great of course, but I did wonder if other teams like us would lose some Brits. I guess they'll focus on trying to pry players from the EPL or their own junior systems.

Tad

Blaze re-sign defense man Jim Jorgensen.

Not a bad re-signing at all. Our defensive pack have been pretty decent and JJ would of been far more effective at his transitional role if our forwards had been more effective.

Tad

British player Russ Cowley re-signs for next season.

Tad

As I said earlier, he's too good for this league and the chances of him leaving are high. A known club in America has just released their coach for example...it wouldn't surprise me if he gets it.

That doesn't concern me though. It's how the Blaze respond that does. If they bring in another rookie coach or one with little experience, then I'd be concerned. If however, they bring in a experienced one with a track record, I'd be a lot happier.

CCFCKirky

As I said earlier, he's too good for this league and the chances of him leaving are high. A known club in America has just released their coach for example...it wouldn't surprise me if he gets it.

That doesn't concern me though. It's how the Blaze respond that does. If they bring in another rookie coach or one with little experience, then I'd be concerned. If however, they bring in a experienced one with a track record, I'd be a lot happier.

Hi Mr Shanahan, we have a decent coach for you here! Maybe you could sign him in Toronto! About time the leafs had a decent coach!!!

Users who are viewing this thread