Match Thread Bolton v Coventry Match Thread - Tuesday 22nd Nov (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

Paddy madden was free in the summer. We didn't get him but would have been ideal.

Who else with a return rate like his is likely to be around?
I can think of few better for this level. A signing like that I think we'd have been a lot healthier now.

ccfcway

what do you want him to say?

This would do......

"clearly as a board member we continue to let down the loyal ccfc fans and tonight is further proof of this. If you look around, Bolton are a club like CCFC, but they have a smaller population than Coventry and we aspire to be bigger and better than them. Many maybe content with a 1-0 defeat but I am not. I want us to not only compete in this league, but to get back to where we belong. We have a top half budget and we aren't in the top half and hover over the relegation zone and this isn't acceptable. That is either the player fault, the managers fault or the boards fault. All I can promise is all fans should hold us accountable and we will do what we can, or leave the club to someone who can do the job."

Paul Anthony

I'm sure we could list better players, but ones we could realistically get? Not many of them would be available on free if guessing? Least not as recent as the summer just gone.
I fully agree. A player like that has an ideal record for this level. The fact he was available on a free would have been a bonus. But maybe we made an offer for him and he chose not to accept? Who can say, but certainly with a proven goalscorer of that caliber in our team we'd have been looking much better in terms of goals for.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
After last season and the goals we lost in Murphy, Armstrong, Kent alone, we really should have been more ambitious.

2k a week in the footballing world is not a lot and shows why we signed desperate players, most of which wouldn't have been in high demand and would have been grateful for the opportunity if first team football (Sordell, Reid, Turnball, Bigi etc).

Those players aren't going to get you promotion. Far from it, sadly :(

ccfcway

I would suggest £2k is a fair amount, but pay a premium for those who you know can make a difference.

Madden, up top with Sordell would have done that.

higgs

How was madden on a free in the summer wasn't he contracted to scunthorpe?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

georgehudson

How dare anyone criticise our esteemed owners, especially on a match thread, oh dear, naughty boy, i'll go & sit in a corner & chastise myself whilst TF gloats over the fact that fans are at each others throats.
A salutary lesson here for the myopic bunch, imho, & thousands of others, your/our club is being reduced.

coop

The trouble was TM was trying to tempt championship players when he should of been going player's like Madden and that big oath from crewe,good players in league 1 and 2 were available but he was looking for the wrong sort of player and expecting them to play for less money than they were getting. We are in for a very long hard fight.

Nick

Administrator
Madden signed a 3 year deal at Scunthorpe last year? Was he on the transfer list being given away? That would be strange.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
the score line was better than I feared but it is still another defeat and we are too close to the bottom four for comfort. Saturdays match is a must win

Just a thought but given the average attendance so far this season is almost certainly below what was budgeted originally does that put us close to the SCMP limit or even over it? I believe the SCMP is reviewed each quarter so the limit has probably been revised down recently. If so the prospects for signing experienced players suitable for L1 could be badly affected because we would be embargoed until the budget had been brought back in line and room created in finances to bring in new player costs.

Of course the limit might be affected by new investment - ie a gift or issue of shares - but our "investments" seem to be loans which do not count for SCMP.

Last edited:

JeffB

7 years ago approximately in an early Sunday kick off Championship game I went to see our nearest and dearest Leicester host our club. Leicester ran riot in the first half and should have been out of sight. They were 2 nil up. We grafted in the second half and got back to 2 all and really should have won the game. I quote this match because Leicester fans justifiably feel confident of a result at home against anybody including the likes of Barcelona whilst we have been reduced to feeling pleased if we lose at home to Scunthorpe 1 nil. I like many fans want what is best for our club but the starting point should be a total non acceptance of defeat. We lost to Bolton. It is not pleasing that we lost 1 nil. We lost! End of story..

Users who are viewing this thread