Boothroyd pleased with FA Cup draw (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

the-fa-cup-first-round-had-plenty-of-surprises-$13769$300.jpg

Boss wanted home draw

Coventry City boss Aidy Boothroyd has said he was pleased with the FA Cup draw at the weekend which saw his side given a home tie with fellow Championship side Crystal Palace.
Bothroyd said, “The first thing is that you want to be playing at home. It could be a really good game for us after a tough league programme going into January when we want to make sure we are in and around the top end of the Championship, that’s going to be difficult, but that’s not beyond us at all."
When Coventry visited Palace for a league game a fortnight ago, they lost 2-0 in controversial circumstances though a dubious penalty awarded for a foul well outside the box.

“It’s not a huge banana skin or a big game that would take away our focus and get everyone excited like they have before with big cup matches. It’s business as usual and we will just get on with it, added Boothroyd.
“I don’t want to be playing Arsenal or Chelsea so I would much prefer what we have got. Perhaps the fans want to see that and I know the FA Cup and Coventry have got a history because I get it every day from Oggy when I have lunch with him, but I don’t want people to ever lose sight of the fact that for us, this club needs to consolidate where it is at the moment and look to push on. The league will always be a priority for me."
“If we can win the league and the Cup and do the double that would be marvellous, but if it came to choosing one then the league would always take priority.”
Coventry were playing well and in contention for a top six finish when they drew Chelsea at home in the FA Cup two seasons ago, but after losing the game, the Sky Blues form dipped and they found themselves drawn into a relegation battle at the end of the season.
Boothroyd is desperate for a good cup run not to interfere with league football, but he also wants a good cup run. He is in little doubt that he can manage a good cup run without ruining their league form.
“It can work with you,” he said. At Watford we had a situation where we were having a few problems in the Premiership and struggling to win games but the FA Cup run got us to the semi-finals and galvanised us and allowed us to maintain our focus and get that feel good factor going again, so that was very important.”

He continued, “I was invited to a League Managers’ Association dinner recently where all the previous Cup managers from 1976 got a medal which was absolutely fantastic, so I know the importance of the FA Cup and I always have done."
“We will look to take it very seriously but there are seven games between now so that’s the most important thing. We will always focus on the next game.”

Users who are viewing this thread