Bowie (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

OK, so I've been on the red wine since 6:00. But how fucking brilliant was Bowie? You're supposed to be able to know which is your favourite album and yet I don't even know which Bowie album is the best. I always say 'Hunky Dory' but just listen to some others and they are immediately as good.

I'm listening to 'Heathen' as I write - not one of the ones you'd possibly even know, and yet it's bloody brilliant.

Has anyone else, possibly other than Lennon, contributed so much to modern music?

Grendel

I hate to say this but I think he was the most overrated musician other than possibly The Who and John Lennon.

vow

Who do you rate, Grendel?

mrtrench

I hate to say this but I think he was the most overrated musician other than possibly The Who and John Lennon.

Honestly, and without enmity, I didn't expect you to like his music. We are all different; I think the music you like is shite. And yet we can agree on many other things. Thus is life. :)

mrtrench

PS, I once said to a very close friend that I couldn't imagine an artiste that we could possibly have in common. He immediately touted Tom Waites and I had to eat my words.

Grendel

Honestly, and without enmity, I didn't expect you to like his music. We are all different I think the music you like is shite. And yet we can agree on many other things. Thus is life. :)

I've always tried to get it but never have.

I think the problem probably is he never really had a fixed genre. In the 70's it was all imagery and darkness and the 80's some "let's dance" disco and an unfortunate duet or two.

I liked some song he did - five years? - well I liked a cover version anyway.

pastythegreat

I love so many different types of music and so many varieties.
I think Lennon/McCartney were fantastic.
I think you could even put Pete Townsend into the list of musical pioneers too. But what the rest of the band offered too. John Entwistle could play a bass guitar better than most people played lead guitar. And Keith Moon. Absolutely fucking crackers but dragged the band along and made the sound what it was!
Freddie Mercury.
Bob Dylan.
Jimmy Hendrix.
The Stones.
I love them all. Mood dependant I can listen to anything really. Before 2000 I love it. After that it becomes hazey and I like bits and pieces.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

mrtrench

I've always tried to get it but never have.

I think the problem probably is he never really had a fixed genre. In the 70's it was all imagery and darkness and the 80's some "let's dance" disco and an unfortunate duet or two.

I liked some song he did - five years? - well I liked a cover version anyway.

Ha! I remember busking 'Five Years' with a pal outside Bath Abbey in the early 80s, along with 'Hard Days Night' and 'Wish You Were Here'. We used to get enough cash for a punt and a pint and then go to Corals to try and make enough for an evening out. Happy Days (second Beckett reference of the thread - do I win £5?).

wingy

I'm not far behind you trenchy.
Started at 6-30 though.
Currently going the Verve and Richard Ashcroft back catalogue,after seeing him again last night, Velvet Morning being the Standout track of the night.
Probably not the gamechanger Bowie was but what a balladeer and songsmith.

pastythegreat

I'm not far behind you trenchy.
Started at 6-30 though.
Currently going the Verve and Richard Ashcroft back catalogue,after seeing him again last night, Velvet Morning being the Standout track of the night.
Probably not the gamechanger Bowie was but what a balladeer and songsmith.
Richard Ashcroft!
Where was he playing lastnight?
Seen him at IoW festival last year. Great set! For me, him and Noèl Gallagher were the last of a kind. Great songwriters (like you say, not up there with Lennon or Bowie)! After that the likes of Boyzone, Steps and the like slightly ruined music!!

wingy

Richard Ashcroft!
Where was he playing lastnight?
Seen him at IoW festival last year. Great set! For me, him and Noèl Gallagher were the last of a kind. Great songwriters (like you say, not up there with Lennon or Bowie)! After that the likes of Boyzone, Steps and the like slightly ruined music!!

Agreed.
Barclaycard over in the second city.
His solo stuff is generally more mellow but rocks in places.
Clever constructs in songs with a big sound.
Pairing a flute with harmonica on one track
Techno influence on Out of my body on his current album, quite daring and imaginative, and a brilliant voice to carry it IMO. :p

rob9872

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't get music. I mean lots of it largely ok but not much gets me going. If I never heard another song I don't think I'd be that bothered and yet for most I know I think they'd believe that was awful and would give up footie first. I'm a boring git who dislikes opera ballet theatre and cinema too. I said this at work and people looked at me like I was mental and disbelieving of it. The hype over Bowie and others I find quite strange but each to their own. In fact the same with celebrity too I simply don't understand the hype and have never watched Towie or Chelsea or gGeordie shore in fact come to think of it other popular shows like hollyoaks or star trek or doctor who, never seen star wars or harry potter not played on xbox or nintendo.

Is there anyone else luke me out there or am I the one whose proper fecked up?

Oh and not read a novel in the 25 years since I left school either :(

wingy

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't get music. I mean lots of it largely ok but not much gets me going. If I never heard another song I don't think I'd be that bothered and yet for most I know I think they'd believe that was awful and would give up footie first. I'm a boring git who dislikes opera ballet theatre and cinema too. I said this at work and people looked at me like I was mental and disbelieving of it. The hype over Bowie and others I find quite strange but each to their own. In fact the same with celebrity too I simply don't understand the hype and have never watched Towie or Chelsea or gGeordie shore in fact come to think of it other popular shows like hollyoaks or star trek or doctor who, never seen star wars or harry potter not played on xbox or nintendo.

Yet you get all your culture by following the City! :p

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Fuck off you twat!! How the fuck can you say Bowie, The Who and John Lennon were overrated? Fuck me! I'd hate to have your taste in music!

Nick

Administrator
Richard Ashcroft, some really good songs but a bit depressing.
A song for the lovers, just looked and that was 2000!

rob9872

Doesn't have much choice if he likes music, most of them are lefties or at least pretend to be and believe in equal for all until they sell out, make it and then conveniently forget about their principles

mrtrench

Bowie fan and right wing. I just dont get it.

1. I'm not right wing. I'm a floating voter take everything on its merits. If you had to categorise me it would be "analytical". It just so happens that nothing Labour is saying presently makes any sense to me.
2. Why on Earth would my musical tastes have any bearing on my politics, even if I were political?
3. If you want to talk about politics there are another threads.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Some good later Bowie stuff, like Valentines Day (about US school shootings, released around time of Sandy Hook) and fantastic cover of Pixies Cactus.

NorthernWisdom

You could be my Mum ;)

Gazolba

Is there anyone else like me out there or am I the one whose proper fecked up?

What exactly do you do? Sit and stare at a blank wall all day?
I'm suspecting your mother might have imbibed some dangerous substance when you were in the womb or maybe there was lead in your drinking water.
You do seem to be missing something that most people have. Do you have brothers and sisters who are the same way?

Gazolba

OK, so I've been on the red wine since 6:00. But how fucking brilliant was Bowie? You're supposed to be able to know which is your favourite album and yet I don't even know which Bowie album is the best.<snip>

Has anyone else, possibly other than Lennon, contributed so much to modern music?
Never could understand what people saw in David Bowie or why he was ever classed as a superstar.
As for other contributors, how about Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley or Bob Dylan?

Users who are viewing this thread