British & Irish Lions 2017 Thread (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

Oh and Stander not in the 23. Ridiculous.

SBAndy

Think it's baffling. Itoje is one of the best in the world. Kruis will be leading the lineout. What's the point in AWJ?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Think it's baffling. Itoje is one of the best in the world. Kruis will be leading the lineout. What's the point in AWJ?

Itoje is world class, absolute athlete not an impact player as such!

AWJ is the poorest of all the 2nd rows on the tour would have Lawes & Henderson ahead of him.
Annoyed Stander isn't on the bench he is an impact player for last 20 mins when a freshen up and power is needed.

They'll lose this game comfortably 38-16 or something and that'll be it for the tour he will have male 6/7 changes for the 2nd test and it'll fall apart.

Shame, with our bet 15 & 23 we'd have an outside chance 10% of winning the series , this side we've got 0.1% of winning a test imo

SBAndy

Don't care what people say, this is the weakest ABs side in the last 15-20 years. The one chance the Lions would have to push them. Bailed out on a few decisions this tour. The strange obsession with Welsh players I can't say is surprising due to the coach, but is rather detrimental to the team. Warburton wouldn't be near the Welsh starting XV in a lot of instances (much prefer Lydiate at 6), North shouldn't really have been mooted as a starter all along, AWJ is a weak player, the additional "convenient" call ups are poor as highlighted by Eddie. Rather let down by Gatland on the whole.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watching the game back now.

NZ so clinical 3 chances score all 3 Lions had 4/5 only scored twice.

Tht first lions try will go down as one of the greats!

Thought Williams justified his selection prob Lions MOTM.

2/3 changes next week more than likely, but AB's as expected just too good.

bringbackrattles

Just watching the game back now.

NZ so clinical 3 chances score all 3 Lions had 4/5 only scored twice.

Tht first lions try will go down as one of the greats!

Thought Williams justified his selection prob Lions MOTM.

2/3 changes next week more than likely, but AB's as expected just too good.
I had to listen to it on radio. Sounded like a great team effort ? But as you say All Blacks aren't the world number one team for nothing. But they can take heart from the performance and stay confident and give it their all next test.

Moff

Disapointed with the end to the game yesterday, although some players put in positive performances, notably Courtney Lawes.

Hoping for Saturday but not confident. Feel that in some positions we have some great players and great back up, but in others the back up players have not performed. Overall the squad seems to me slightly unbalances and certainly not as strong as the squad we took to Australia four years ago.

SBAndy

Overall the squad seems to me slightly unbalances and certainly not as strong as the squad we took to Australia four years ago.

Where are the weak areas then? I'd actually suggest it's a stronger squad generally, but it's being utilised incorrectly. Why have Warburton on the test bench for example and leave Stander out the 23?

SBAndy

AWJ retains his place over Kruis, and Warburton comes in for O'Mahony. Warren, you've done it again.

The Sexton-Farrell choice at 10 and 12 seems interesting though.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Can't even be bothered commentating on that side but the 2 changes mentioned above and dropping T'eo has just given Sonny Billy Williams the keys to the Lions try line for yiubgamblers out there get on him to score a couple of tries!

Just checked SBW 16/1 first try or 20/1 to score 2 or more.

Moff

Where are the weak areas then? I'd actually suggest it's a stronger squad generally, but it's being utilised incorrectly. Why have Warburton on the test bench for example and leave Stander out the 23?

I didn't say there were weak areas if you read my post, I said it isn't as strong as the squad in 2013. In my opinion there isn't as much strength in depth and unlike the last tour there aren't a lot of players putting themselves forward to replace those in the test team.

SBAndy

I didn't say there were weak areas if you read my post, I said it isn't as strong as the squad in 2013. In my opinion there isn't as much strength in depth and unlike the last tour there aren't a lot of players putting themselves forward to replace those in the test team.

Sorry what I was referring to is the imbalance. Implies there are weak areas in the squad with inadequate cover. Not looking for an argument so sorry if it came across that way, just interested on your thoughts around the lack of strength in depth.

Regarding the players putting themselves forward, I'd say that Biggar, Nowell, Lawes, Henderson and Stander have certainly been putting in performances. Although on a broad spectrum I'd probably agree with your point.

scottccfc

The lions just don't have that X factor player this tour, someone who can let the team breath when being punished

scottccfc

100% I feel this tour is 2 years too early for us to stand a real chance, imagine someone like itoje in 2 years time

Moff

Sorry what I was referring to is the imbalance. Implies there are weak areas in the squad with inadequate cover. Not looking for an argument so sorry if it came across that way, just interested on your thoughts around the lack of strength in depth.

Regarding the players putting themselves forward, I'd say that Biggar, Nowell, Lawes, Henderson and Stander have certainly been putting in performances. Although on a broad spectrum I'd probably agree with your point.

I agree Andy certainly re Biggar, Nowell, Lawes and Henderson. I think Stander showed his capabilities in the early games and I was surprised like you he missed out on the first test. I like Tipuric but with O'Brien and Warburton, he was never really going to get a sniff this tour.

I am not convinced the team he has picked will win Saturday, but would be very happy to be proved wrong. I have always been a fan of AWJ as he is often a big game player but was surprised to see him retained, lets hope he and the rest of the team have a blinder!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Fair play to the lads I saw up to about 60 mins and the Lions were 9 down at that point!

Sending off helped of course but fantastic they've set up a decider!
Couldn't see past a whitewash before so fair play!

andrew.roberts

Absolutely terrible, the what can only be called assault on Anthony Watson by Williams. Malicious and with intent. He could have broken his neck. Won't be surprised if he's never picked to represent his country again

Otis

Do they have post disciplinary process where officials can review footage and issue bans? I am guessing it is the same as football and the FA.

Users who are viewing this thread