Budget constraints (1 Viewer)

Grendel

The fact that many seem to want to retain the majority of this failed squad I find incredulous. Regardless of that though can anyone explain how it's at all realistic.

The wage bill will be completely slashed. I would guess a £500k reduction on a bill of £1.7m so how will out of contract players be offered new deals?

We need many new players to address a losing mentality.

I can't see us retaining hardly any of the out of contract players and big earners (Reid) must be transferred out.

I'd think we will lose the vast majority of the squad

Not that I'll be shedding any tears.

clint van damme

the wage bill could be slashed even more drastically looking at the results of the trust survey regarding ST renewals, not that that will come as a shock to anybody.

covcity4life

i don't think anyone wants to keep the majority of the squad at all. think most are saying they would be happy to keep 6-8 of them.

if under contract great
if not they will have to accept lower wages in league 2.
if they happy to do that great, if not we move on a sign a new player.

Liquid Gold

We need to offer players under 24 at least equal terms to what they're on for us to get combo though. I imagine we'd do that and they will sign them.

Grendel

i don't think anyone wants to keep the majority of the squad at all. think most are saying they would be happy to keep 6-8 of them.

if under contract great

You've already said you'd like to keep Reid, Haynes, Bigi, Thomas, stokes, Beavon to name but a few.

Kwame Thomas, Turnbull and jones are on long term deals. You keep Reid and Beavon that's at least 30% of the wage bill - so then resign out of contract players as well - how does that work?

Grendel

We need to offer players under 24 at least equal terms to what they're on for us to get combo though. I imagine we'd do that and they will sign them.

Haynes and Thomas won't I suspect. We'd be insane to offer Lameries one.

covcity4life

You've already said you'd like to keep Reid, Haynes, Bigi, Thomas, stokes, Beavon to name but a few.

Kwame Thomas, Turnbull and jones are on long term deals. You keep Reid and Beavon that's at least 30% of the wage bill - so then resign out of contract players as well - how does that work?

never said i would sign haynes initially, although he did well sunday. as for the rest that is about 6-8 yes.

you resign them for less money to fit the wage bill.

if reid wants too much then ok both parties move on.

the same principle applies to brand new signings too. i think your point is existing players are on l1 wages which is true but what i am saying is we offer reduced terms, take it or leave it.

Liquid Gold

Haynes and Thomas won't I suspect. We'd be insane to offer Lameries one.
Lameries is 50/50 and I think his performances between now and the end of the season will determine if we offer him anything. Haynes and Thomas will definitely be offered deals and that suits us if they sign or not as signing means we keep decent young academy products and if they go then we will get compensation. Even a small figure of comp could go a long way in league 2 where the average wage isn't much different to what a lot of us get.

Liquid Gold

never said i would sign haynes initially, although he did well sunday. as for the rest that is about 6-8 yes.

you resign them for less money to fit the wage bill.

if reid wants too much then ok both parties move on.

the same principle applies to brand new signings too. i think your point is existing players are on l1 wages which is true but what i am saying is we offer reduced terms, take it or leave it.
Those under 24 need to be offered at least equal terms or we lose the right to comp though.

shmmeee

It's swings and roundabouts.

We will probably lose the likes of Stokes because we can't offer him what he's on now, but someone like Thomas would be on a low wage for his first pro contract and we could probably afford to offer him a bit more.

Similarly we won't be paying players who leave. And players we get in will be on less.

None of us know the budget or how it'll be impacted so this all seems rather academic.

covcity4life

Those under 24 need to be offered at least equal terms or we lose the right to comp though.

was not aware of that.

for some i think it would be worth it like g thomas, bigi and stevenson

haynes too much of a risk perhaps.

will be interesting to see what robins does

skybluetony176

Not sure it works quite like that TBH. I know we have to have offered them something to qualify for compensation but I don't think its on equal terms for the simple fact that a league one club is never going to be able to offer terms equal to what premier league clubs can offer or for that matter what the vast majority of championship clubs could offer. That would surely load the youth market in favour of the top two flights damaging the lower tier clubs finances severely. Sort of defeats the object of having a compensation system.

skybluetony176

At the end of the day the kids we have currently in the squad are probably still cheaper than seasoned pro's in league 2 that we would surely look to replace them with. Try not to be too disappointed if we don't have a mass clear out of the first team squad over the summer as inevitably we'll be going for the cheapest options and that's likely to be under 24 players who are already here. The only ones I'm expecting to lose will be senior players with a good reputation like Stokes (who's also out of contract IIRC) and out of contract under 24 prospects like Thomas.

Terry Gibson's perm

With the money from Wembley and the likely sales of Stevenson and Willis why would the budget be any less? The owners can put money in for the shortfall so you don't have to play by the rules we just have owners who chose to as they gave no interest in the team.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not sure it works quite like that TBH. I know we have to have offered them something to qualify for compensation but I don't think its on equal terms for the simple fact that a league one club is never going to be able to offer terms equal to what premier league clubs can offer or for that matter what the vast majority of championship clubs could offer. That would surely load the youth market in favour of the top two flights damaging the lower tier clubs finances severely. Sort of defeats the object of having a compensation system.

At lest equal to their current terms

Terry Gibson's perm

I would hope to see as soon as we are relegated the released list and it must contain players like Finch, Tudgay and quite a few others and send the loans back there is just no point in keeping them.

vow

George Thomas should be offered a new deal asap and build the team around him, just gets better every game.

Liquid Gold

It's definitely that. If not football manager has been lying to me for years. I think it benefits lower clubs as Orem teams don't just offer higher money for players they don't want for compo as the player would accept the contract.

Grendel

I'm sure that Mark Robins is talking the OP under advisement as we speak.

That's strange Tony. Do you post that when everyone says Tudgay is shite and why did Mark Robins play him last Wednesday?

Grendel

I don't think insane comes any where near to what I think of the useless c**t...he's like a 10 year old playing against men

Tony - what do you think mark will make of this one?

trevelfarandwide

The fact that many seem to want to retain the majority of this failed squad I find incredulous. Regardless of that though can anyone explain how it's at all realistic.

The wage bill will be completely slashed. I would guess a £500k reduction on a bill of £1.7m so how will out of contract players be offered new deals?

We need many new players to address a losing mentality.

I can't see us retaining hardly any of the out of contract players and big earners (Reid) must be transferred out.

I'd think we will lose the vast majority of the squad

Not that I'll be shedding any tears.
If we manage to keep Stokes, Harries, Stevenson and G Thomas, I'll be pleased.

Budget constraints mean a more inclined reliance on youth talent, which is actually a blessing in disguise, imo.

If we also retain Beavon, Turnbull (since Robins has got him playing well again) and Jones (L2 should see him finding some consistency) and make a few additions I.E. proven L1/L2 players, we should be in good stead.

Personally, I believe a reduction of budget may not be disastrous, if Robins can keep the aforementioned players at least.

vow

Don't think he is good enough to build a team round him, Tudgay and Lameiras on the other hand, build a fucking wall round them and keep them there
Ok, who would you build a team around, steve? If not G Thomas then perhaps Ben Stevenson?
I agree with your comment re. Tudgay, but Lameiras, I believe there is a player in there, somewhere, but just not with us.

stevefloyd

Ok, who would you build a team around, steve? If not G Thomas then perhaps Ben Stevenson?
I agree with your comment re. Tudgay, but Lameiras, I believe there is a player in there, somewhere, but just not with us.
If you had seen Lameiras play the other night at Sheffield you would change your mind, utterley utterley useless.. I don't personally think we have anyone worth building a team around so we have to go out and get someone that may be worth trying to build a team around

Gazolba

Never mind the cuts in wages of the players now that we'll be at a lower level but shouldn't the management accept an equal cut in salary after their abject failure over the past few seasons? Not to cut their salary would be rewarding failure.

Gazolba

<snip> I don't personally think we have anyone worth building a team around so we have to go out and get someone that may be worth trying to build a team around
It's stupid to build a team around anyone. What happens if this person you built the team around gets injured or leaves the club? A team should be just that, a team, each working for the other and the whole stronger than the sum of the parts.

ccfc92

I thought we didn't offer much to the academy players like Haynes, Thomas etc anyway?

The windfall from Wembley at £600K is enough for 11-12 players on £1,000 PW for a year.

Plus, isn't the rule for young players offer a contract equal or greater than what they're on? If GT is on £500 p/w (purely hypothetical) we could offer £501 p/w surely?

More importantly, Robins and the Wembley win and potential promotion next season may sway a few players rather than a few more £'s.

ccfc92

if under contract great

Naturally. If they're generally sorry for the poor performances all season, they'd take the cuts and make amends.

(Those that do stay)

ccfc92

Anyway, there'll be relegation cuts in their contracts in the contracted players.

(I hope!)

stevefloyd

It's stupid to build a team around anyone. What happens if this person you built the team around gets injured or leaves the club? A team should be just that, a team, each working for the other and the whole stronger than the sum of the parts.
I think the term 'building a team round' is just a reference to thinking someone may be good enough to 'build a team around' don't worry we won't be getting anyone soon to even remotely think about doing that :)

Astute

I know of a lad who has come through the ranks of Blackpool. He was being loaned to places he didn't want to go to. He wasn't treated that good. But as his contract was coming to an end they offered him an extra fiver a week. I think his dad said that as he was offered an increase he didn't become a free agent.

Users who are viewing this thread