Burton Albion (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

Just got back home. Can't be arsed to type up my thoughts on the game suffice to say that I think the autos are now unrealistic for us. I said before Tuesday that we needed 6 points from these two games to be in with a shot of autos. Play offs now for us.

Despite the result, Mrs WM enjoyed the experience enough to say she'll be back. Hey ho...off for a nice Grey Goose and Coke. Night fellow SBT'ers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stupot07

If Bigi was a 5 Fleck was a 4. Either way he improved the midfield from what it was.

Fleck was 7 for the first 45 mins, and a 2 in the second half so yes, I'd probably give him a 4 overall. Bigi was a 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Londonccfcfan

Feel thats a very harsh attack on Cook, couldn't fault him for the first goal he nearly pulled off a fantastic save. Second goal he could have done better with but nonetheless a decent finish by the Burton striker. Pulled off a fine save first half as well.

After a wobble in December I think he's doing ok again, would prefer an experienced keeper if possible.

Says it all I'm afraid. A keeper can have a bad game yes agreed.

But a bad MONTH as you quote.

Jeez a bad month costs you promotion!!!

when are we gonna get real, we have flipping major issues.

i believe a club in this league have got Stephen Bywater in this league as their reserve keeper. Ffs.

covcity4life

Is there a ratings thread today?

If not

Rcc 6 nearly saved first having no right too and sum other good saves.

Phillips 1 shit twat

Ricketts 4 way to alow to make decisions on ball

Ramage 6 John smiths no nonsense. ? Mark over pace issues perhaps

Stokes 5 poor passing today and lack of attacking intent

Fleck 4 game of 2 halves. Really poor when we needed him most

Vincelot 7. Warrior. Always steps up

Murphy 3 did nothing

Maddison 6 good first half. Quiet 2nd

Lamieres 5 good first half anonymous 2nd

Armstrong 6 some good dribbles but not much support

Bigi 6 good passing when came on. Got us attacking more

Cole n/a

Tudgay 6 won headers and lay offs. We still never looked more likely to score tho with 2 upfront

Hobo

He has no movement and if his passing range extends to one foot in front of him.

Personally

If his name was Connor Thomas he'd be slaughtered.

He's not the answer and he never will be. As stated his only possible use is if the team is winning and under pressure - then his trundle around the middle may be ok.

I actually thought he may have come on just to play right back. I would guess he'd be ok there as well.

However, to suggest when losing a game he's a player you'd bring in ahead of say JOB us frankly dilusional.

Well TM realised we needed someone alongside Armstrong and opted For Tudgay. He brought on Cole for Maddison who looked less and less like .unlocking Burton.

So I think he wanted Bigi's disciplin n defence. He might pass the ball simply but he does it with some intelligence.

If you brought Job on I think Murphy would have had to go off.

Unless at 2-0 down, with Ricketts Rammage and Stokes you risk going 3 at the back. Vincelot holding pushing Fleck forward alongside Cole, JOB and Murphy out wide with Tudgay and Armstrong up top. It might have been adventurous but we had nothing to lose.

SlowerThanPlatt

I always thought that Ricketts was a right back - not a centre half? He's never played there for any of his other clubs.

Our centre back pairing for the Southend game will most likely be a converted LB and a converted RB as I don't think Ramage impressed too much on his debut.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Says it all I'm afraid. A keeper can have a bad game yes agreed.

But a bad MONTH as you quote.

Jeez a bad month costs you promotion!!!

when are we gonna get real, we have flipping major issues.

i believe a club in this league have got Stephen Bywater in this league as their reserve keeper. Ffs.

Young keeper who is learning still, Cook doesn't deserved to be lumped with Phillips as you did, he also isn't shocking either or a calamity. He has a tendency at times to overplay it and had a few lapses v Doncaster and Sheffield United, he also has made some very good saves at crucial time. If it was up to me I'd bring an experienced first choice keeper to mentor Cook, I think Cook has talent and hope he can be our number 1 for many years to come.

ccfc92

Well yeah, obviously AP messed up for the first. But we had plenty of chances to clear for the second :(

Londonccfcfan

I keep hearing this bullshit statistics, only 1 defeat in 17 matches. Or 2 in 18 now. Bloody hell sounds impressive.

how impressive is 2 wins in last 10 matches sound! That's not even playoff form.

Since Gilingham game, back in November 19th, who would have said that come middle of January we would only win 2 more games in 2 months.

SlowerThanPlatt

Ramage passing it back to Cook is the error for the 2nd goal, should have passed forward or just hit it long. Giving it back to the goalkeeper on the backfoot just forces a rushed decision without any time to think about it

Rodders1

2nd goal how? 1st goal how the fuck is Phillips a professional footballer?

Ha ha - he is a worry. Nothing wrong with a big hoof clearance. Or concede a corner. He's not good enough to chest it down in his own box. Muppet.

2nd goal our defence just jogged while the forward sprinted on to score. Equally as shit.

We're all pissed off as burton aren't that good. Just well organised and make the simple correct decisions.

shmmeee

RCC - 5: Should've done better with both, especially the second. Pissed about too much and isn't commanding enough.

Phillips - 3: Not good enough. Nervous, clumsy and cost us the game. Says a lot we played people out of position to take him off. Should've played Haynes at LB and Stokes at CB and Ricketts RB.

Ricketts - 6: Nothing terrible, nothing amazing.

Ramage - 6: some awful distribution first half. Some decent headers and a couple of decent balls once he had a target second half. Not quick, not good as passing, but better than Aaron Phillips.

Stokes - 6: fairly solid but not one of his better games. Would rather have seen him at CB again.

Fleck - 5: excellent first half, awful second.

Vincelot - 7: Did well in both positions, needed a few more with his balls today.

Lameiras - 6: the odd nice touch but too lightweight for this game.

Maddison - 6: half decent free kick, a couple of dribbles nowhere and our best chance. But offers nothing when we don't have the ball.

Murphy - 4: poor game didn't get involved at all, was reluctant to go for the run and drifted inside too much.

Armstrong - 6: no real service.

Subs

Bigi - 6: positioning is awful, makes some mistakes but was passing it forward at least.

Tudgay - 6: won his fair share of headers, stayed in the middle and gave us a focal point a bit. But no real service.

Cole - 6: decent delivery into the box, though nothing to aim at. Not on that long.

Otis

RCC - 5: Should've done better with both, especially the second. Pissed about too much and isn't commanding enough.

Phillips - 3: Not good enough. Nervous, clumsy and cost us the game. Says a lot we played people out of position to take him off. Should've played Haynes at LB and Stokes at CB and Ricketts RB.

Ricketts - 6: Nothing terrible, nothing amazing.

Ramage - 6: some awful distribution first half. Some decent headers and a couple of decent balls once he had a target second half. Not quick, not good as passing, but better than Aaron Phillips.

Stokes - 6: fairly solid but not one of his better games. Would rather have seen him at CB again.

Fleck - 5: excellent first half, awful second.

Vincelot - 7: Did well in both positions, needed a few more with his balls today.

Lameiras - 6: the odd nice touch but too lightweight for this game.

Maddison - 6: half decent free kick, a couple of dribbles nowhere and our best chance. But offers nothing when we don't have the ball.

Murphy - 4: poor game didn't get involved at all, was reluctant to go for the run and drifted inside too much.

Armstrong - 6: no real service.

Subs

Bigi - 6: positioning is awful, makes some mistakes but was passing it forward at least.

Tudgay - 6: won his fair share of headers, stayed in the middle and gave us a focal point a bit. But no real service.

Cole - 6: decent delivery into the box, though nothing to aim at. Not on that long.
Harsh on RCC for the first goal. Don't think he could have done anything more than that. Second one, yep, he shouldn't really be beaten from that angle, but don't see how you have put some blame on RCC for the second goal and none on Ramage, who was much more culpable.

RCC 5

Phillips 2. Sorry, but that was a basic, basic error. Burton had hardly threatened at all until that point and that was a pure gift for them, wrapped and everything. He needs to go on loan asap.

Ricketts 6

Ramage 5. What on earth was he doing for that second goal? He seemed to be looking back over his shoulder as the striker was bearing down on goal.

Stokes 6. Poor going forwards, but got absolutely no help from anywhere.

Fleck 5. Excellent first half, but very poor in the second. Seemed determined to bag a yellow too in that incident where he did indeed receive one.

Vincelot 7. MOTM and by a country mile.

Murphy 4. Started terribly, but then had that little spell just before half-time where he moved inside and looked quite a bit more dangerous, but then second half he was very poor.

Murphy's beginning to worry me. I accept he can be inconsistent, but he's no use to us if that talent only comes to us once in every 5 games or so.

Lameiras 3. Sorry, but this game was not the game for him. Out-muscled, out-manouvered, crowded out. Tiny little bits of trickery, but also some of his distribution left is in big, big trouble.

Not sure his game is suited to the hustle and bustle of League One. Yes, I accept he has had the one good game here and there, but that's all it's been and that simply isn't good enough unfortunately.

Maddison 6. The best stuff we did came through him, but he was still relatively quiet all game.

Armstrong 5. Works hard but nothing came off for him and we just didn't get the ball to him in good situations.

Bigi 5

Cole 5

Tudgay 6

Last edited:

Hobo

Just a little comment on the first goal and RCC. The ball in came across Phillips and had him facing his own goal with a player coming in either side. Something that is always difficult for defenders. 9 times out of 10 he probably would have executed that chest back to the keeper.

But there was probably two better options, one let it run across him and out for the corner or second play it out for a corner. RCC is best placed to see that and possibly should have helped him by being more vocal. I noted Rickets was caught in possession on the edge of his six yard box, in the first half, with a player coming in behind him. Rickets had a right go at RCC for not giving him a shout.

RCC had a good game and made a couple of good saves. The flying save from the free Burton player with a fluffed shot in the air at 0-0 was the save of the match for me. Fluffed shots at close range are often more difficult than shots from 20 yards hit with power (Burton keepers best save).

I do feel RCC at times needs to be a bit more vocal and just help the defenders a bit. His overall play is very good.

Skyblueweeman

I think people are overly harsh on Lameiras and his rating. I was in the Lloyds Pharmacy stand not too far from the away fans (like a morgue over there) and had a good view of Lameiras in the first half as he spent the first half hugging the touch line like a wide player should.

But I lost count of the amount of times he could've got the ball only for Phillips, Fleck, Vincelot, Ramage or Ricketts choose another option. Must have been about 5 times when they could've put a ball over the LBs head for Lameiras to run onto and get in behind their back four.

You could tell how frustrating this was for him so I'm not surprised he didn't have his best of games. He's got a great touch and looked OK. I felt sorry for him.

Saw Lorentzen at half time and after the match. Looked to be walking freely and free of injury. Same for Willis as well actually. Hopefully neither are far away from a return...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
But there was probably two better options, one let it run across him and out for the corner or second play it out for a corner. RCC is best placed to see that and possibly should have helped him by being more vocal. I noted Rickets was caught in possession on the edge of his six yard box, in the first half, with a player coming in behind him. Rickets had a right go at RCC for not giving him a shout.

With that one, the whole stadium shouted as did RCC as he was pointing to get it out at the same time.

Hobo

With that one, the whole stadium shouted as did RCC as he was pointing to get it out at the same time.

Strange but the video highlights don't show RCC pointing or shouting?

stupot07

I think people are overly harsh on Lameiras and his rating. I was in the Lloyds Pharmacy stand not too far from the away fans (like a morgue over there) and had a good view of Lameiras in the first half as he spent the first half hugging the touch line like a wide player should.

But I lost count of the amount of times he could've got the ball only for Phillips, Fleck, Vincelot, Ramage or Ricketts choose another option. Must have been about 5 times when they could've put a ball over the LBs head for Lameiras to run onto and get in behind their back four.

You could tell how frustrating this was for him so I'm not surprised he didn't have his best of games. He's got a great touch and looked OK. I felt sorry for him.

Saw Lorentzen at half time and after the match. Looked to be walking freely and free of injury. Same for Willis as well actually. Hopefully neither are far away from a return...

Agreed. It can't help Lamieres that he never gets a run in the side - played against Bradford, the dropped for 1 game, then brought back in and MOTM against a physical Sheffield United side, then dropped for 1 game, then brought back in played ok against Oldham, then dropped for 3 games, then played again yesterday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Londonccfcfan

Agree with you regarding Lameiras, think he's had a bit of a rough deal, he was outstanding first few games of the season, then slowly found himself of the team when Murphy and Kent Arrived. Then he gets back into the team vs Sheff United, was probably our best player, ran rings around their left back who should have been sent off.

Then he finds himself the team again, to accommodate a fit again Cole and Maddison.

Harshly treated , I thought Fleck and lameiras were easily the best offensive players in first half. I think he needs a bit more of break.

The way Murphy is playing at the moment, I'd play Lameiras ahead of him.

Murphy looked like he slipping and sliding everywhere, maybe the pitch doesn't help our more fleeter footed players.

Think also time Tudgay, JOB , and Lameiras offer a bit more at this time of season at home on a poor pitch.

As Burton showed at this time of season sometimes just getting the ball into the box at the business areas causes problems.

Skyblueweeman

Oh...and my last 5 games...

Crewe at home (L) 3-0 (might have been 3-1)
Pompey pre-season (L) 2-1
Swindon away (D) 2-2
Walsall at home (D) 1-1
Burton at home (L) 2-0

So I'm not saying I'm a bad luck charm but....

Skyblueweeman

Agreed. It can't help Lamieres that he never gets a run in the side - played against Bradford, the dropped for 1 game, then brought back in and MOTM against a physical Sheffield United side, then dropped for 1 game, then brought back in played ok against Oldham, then dropped for 3 games, then played again yesterday.....

Another reason why I think we're more inconsistent than I'd like...I'm not sure we know our best starting XI.

Granted we have had bad luck with injuries but if some had more consistent runs, in my opinion, we'd be a little more consistent overall.

TM knows best though...he's the gaffer, not me!

Hobo

I'll watch again, I am sure he was unless it was a different time.

Could you hear the crowd shouting?

I heard some of the crowd shouting shoot when Armstrong had his back to goal. Lots of panicky shouts to get the ball forward when there was no movement ahead of the ball.

People can focus on individual errors. But our biggest downfall, especially in the first half was lack of movement and tempo in our play. That only came after Burton scored.

We moved the ball around a lot but the tempo made it easy for Burton to keep their shape. The best moments in the first half was one two's between Maddison Lamieres and Vincelot down our right. Once one of their midfield was taken out it started pulling the defenders out creating space for Armstrong. But we were stuck in second gear and never really worked them hard. We were very static at ahead of the ball and at throw ins looked like we didn't have a player who wanted the ball.

Otis

Yeah and we kept losing our tempo because we kept giving Stokes the ball out wide left in our build-up play and then refused to support him, so he was left on his todd and had to put his foot on the ball and then when he realised he had no support, simply just pass it backwards again.

Must have happened 4 or 5 times at least.

Hobo

Yeah and we kept losing our tempo because we kept giving Stokes the ball out wide left in our build-up play and then refused to support him, so he was left on his todd and had to put his foot on the ball and then when he realised he had no support, simply just pass it backwards again.

Must have happened 4 or 5 times at least.

Because Murphy wasn't moving for him a lot of the time.

Otis

Because Murphy wasn't moving for him a lot of the time.
Well I said that yesterday. In the first half Stokes had the ball and Murphy simply wasn't coming to him to get the ball and Stokes was either forced to play it sideways, backwards or hit it long to Murphy.

Hobo

Well I said that yesterday. In the first half Stokes had the ball and Murphy simply wasn't coming to him to get the ball and Stokes was either forced to play it sideways, backwards or hit it long to Murphy.

I have said enough about Murphy. But overall our movement was poor off the ball. A throw in and we were totally static. We knocked the ball around often side ways and backwards because we couldn't build momentum. That was because there was no movement ahead of the ball.

I sit quite high up because I like to look down on the whole pitch. It is no good fans screaming get it forward when there is no pass to be made. I appreciate the sentiments right, but players have to move and find the space to receive the pass. The intelligent work is often done off the ball not on it.

I thought Maddison and Armstrong worked hard to make things happen, but we were all too predictable yesterday.

Otis

I have said enough about Murphy. But overall our movement was poor off the ball. A throw in and we were totally static. We knocked the ball around often side ways and backwards because we couldn't build momentum. That was because there was no movement ahead of the ball.

I sit quite high up because I like to look down on the whole pitch. It is no good fans screaming get it forward when there is no pass to be made. I appreciate the sentiments right, but players have to move and find the space to receive the pass. The intelligent work is often done off the ball not on it.

I thought Maddison and Armstrong worked hard to make things happen, but we were all too predictable yesterday.
How high are you? I'm in SS.

Users who are viewing this thread